• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LA Power Rankings (Based on Elo)

Sudai

Stuff here
Table-o-contents.
[1.] Intro
[2.] What is Elo?
[3.] Rankings
[4.] How LA's Elo ranking works.
[4a.] Provisional Status
[4b.] Rules behind rated matches.
[5.] Credits

=======================
[1.] Intro
=======================

So, I'm making this as a power ranking system for LA, as stated by the title.

I got this idea from here if anyone was wondering.

This guide will be edited and updated as needed.

Short intro~ yay~

============
Version Info
============

1.00.00 - Posted with ranks~ yay
1.00.01 - Decide to go with normal Elo point calculation instead of my simplified version since it is much better, still. That and I made a program to do the point work for me.. >.>

=======================
[2.] What is Elo?
=======================
The Elo rating system is a method for calculating the relative skill levels of players in two-player games such as chess and Go. It originated in chess however.

Feel free to Wiki it if you want to know more about the history.

=======================
[3.] Rankings
=======================

1. Eet (1296)
1. Elvis (1296)
1. Matt (1296)
4. Dylan (1232)
4. Sudai (1232)
6. Kyle (1200) - One Provisional Match Left
7. Setsuma (1168)
8. Vaughn (1136) - One Provisional Match Left
9. Iceman (1104)- One Provisional Match Left
9. Randall (1104)- One Provisional Match Left
11. Ryan (1072)- One Provisional Match Left

=======================
[4.]How LA's Elo Ranking work
=======================

New Participants
-All new players start off with 1200 points.
-All new players start in a provisional status and remain there until they have completed 5 matches. (Provisional status explained later.)

Point Gain/Loss
PLEASE CHECK THE WIKI PAGE FOR DETAILED INFO AS IT IS A BIT MORE THAN I WANT TO TYPE AND THEY USE IMAGES TO AID~ :D

===========
[4a.] Provisional Status
===========

-All new players start in a provisional status and remain there until they have completed 5 matches.

-When playing another player in provisional status, player point earnings are based as if both are ranked at 1200 points.
-When playing another player not in provisional status, the provisional player’s point earnings are determined as if the provisional player were 200 above the opposing player’s points if the provisional player wins and 200 points below the opposing player’s points if the provisional player loses.
-----Note: This is because if they win they are considered better and if they lose they are considered worse.
-----Note: This temporary ranking is only used for determining point gain in THIS match only.
-Earnings are doubled when in provisional status.

==========
==========

-Any tournament whose match-ups are posted on Smashboards. (Entire tournament match-ups, not just a few~ :p)
-Any match agreed to being an Elo match by all participating parties
-No more than (3)three Elo matches (excluding tournament matches) between the same two players within any week.
-No more than (10)ten Elo matches (excluding tournament matches) for each player.
----Note: These restrictions are to keep any leaving player to super boost a lower player by losing on purpose consistently.

=======================
[5.] Credits
=======================
This section really isn’t needed atm.. >.>
This guide thingy(?) by me(Sudai).

The original Elo was created by Árpád Élő (1903-1992)

Super Smash Brothers: Melee was –not- my creation nor were any of the associated affiliates.

DISCLAIMER: ***
I DIO NOT CREATE THIS SYSTEM I AM MERELY ADAPTING AN OLD ONE TO FIT MY NEEDS!***

=======================
[1.] Intro
=======================

So, I'm making this as a power ranking system for LA, as stated by the title.

I got this idea from here if anyone was wondering.

Quite a few of the math equations were reduced for simplified calculations.

This guide will be edited and updated as needed.

Short intro~ yay~

=======================
[2.] What is Elo?
=======================
The Elo rating system is a method for calculating the relative skill levels of players in two-player games such as chess and Go. It originated in chess however.

Feel free to Wiki it if you want to know more about the history.

=======================
[3.] Rankings
=======================

1. Eet (1296)
1. Elvis (1296)
1. Matt (1296)
4. Dylan (1232)
4. Sudai (1232)
6. Kyle (1200) - One Provisional Match Left
7. Setsuma (1168)
8. Vaughn (1136) - One Provisional Match Left
9. Iceman (1104)- One Provisional Match Left
9. Randall (1104)- One Provisional Match Left
11. Ryan (1072)- One Provisional Match Left

=======================
[4.]How LA's Elo Ranking work
=======================

New Participants
-All new players start off with 1200 points.
-All new players start in a provisional status and remain there until they have completed 5 matches. (Provisional status explained later.)

Point Gain/Loss
-Point earnings are based on the current points of each combatant.
-For Player A's points:
--Divide player B's points by player A's points.
--Multiply this number by 16.
--Round to the nearest whole number.
--Add the final product to player A's points if a win, subtract if a lost.
-For Player B’s points: Same as Player A’s

===========
[4a.] Provisional Status
===========

-All new players start in a provisional status and remain there until they have completed 5 matches.

-When playing another player in provisional status, player point earnings are based as if both are ranked at 1200 points.
-When playing another player not in provisional status, the provisional player’s point earnings are determined as if the provisional player were 200 above the opposing player’s points if the provisional player wins and 200 points below the opposing player’s points if the provisional player loses.
-----Note: This is because if they win they are considered better and if they lose they are considered worse.
-----Note: This temporary ranking is only used for determining point gain in THIS match only.
-Earnings are doubled when in provisional status.

==========
==========

-Any tournament whose match-ups are posted on Smashboards. (Entire tournament match-ups, not just a few~ :p)
-Any match agreed to being an Elo match by all participating parties
-No more than (3)three Elo matches (excluding tournament matches) between the same two players within any week.
-No more than (10)ten Elo matches (excluding tournament matches) for each player.
----Note: These restrictions are to keep any leaving player to super boost a lower player by losing on purpose consistently.

=======================
[5.] Credits
=======================
This section really isn’t needed atm.. >.>
This guide thingy(?) by me(Sudai).

The original Elo was created by Árpád Élő (1903-1992)

Super Smash Brothers: Melee was –not- my creation nor were any of the associated affiliates.

DISCLAIMER: ***
I DIO NOT CREATE THIS SYSTEM I AM MERELY ADAPTING AN OLD ONE TO FIT MY NEEDS!***

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
There's only supposed to be 1 power rankings thread per state.

but aside from that, Cyphus would be in 1st with 1337 points.

Sudai

Stuff here
That other ranking thread was based on ideals, not stats~ Also started as a locater before and will probably revert to such since this is here.
This one is better organized anyway, IMO.

I'm sure Cyphus will be at the top~ just give it a bit. XP

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol, ty manko.

well...in comparing the lists, logic would say our "ideals" are alot more accurate than our "stats" :p

i'm very farmiliar w/ the sytem, having been an avid online chess player...but eh..it has its own flaws. It assumes all players are capable of participating and that RR is used.
If Sirska gets stuck in a pool w/ me, lee, and john..his points are obviously going to take a beating, while a random n00b eases through his pool breaking even.
INEVITABLY...EVENTUALLY the system becomes accurate...but i don't need to wait 2 years to know who the top 15 players are. They don't pop out from nowhere, cuz using looking at the past with logic tells me the top 3 tiers.

The system is prone to its own manipulation, like anything else. Lack of participation(flarefox, RSIA), unwillingness to gamble points , overwillingness to risk points, and personal pursuit for points- such as Lee hunting out as many n00bs to raise my rankings, as oposed to Taylor who would never be interested in points so their scores are based off entirely different realities. One is tournaments and challenges, the other, strictly tournaments.

i think our current list is accurate enough in figuring out the top 10-15 players. These point are more a means of better spreading out the non-top-10 players, since THATS where the controvery really is.
Personally, i think if anyone disagrees w/ tier 1 and 2, they're an idiot. Its why i got rid of t ier 4, 5, 6, and 7.
If half the Olympic events can function off judge points i think "opinions" can't be all that bad. Our panelists aren't a buncha n00bs afterall. I've and continue to consult with Lee, Eet, Taylor, and annonomous from N.O.

---
Tier 1: Lee, Cyphus, John, Taylor
Tier 2: Ricky, Eet, Ray
Tier 3: Blaise, Flarefox, Mary, RSIA, Nicknyte
---

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
As much as I respect your (and everyone's) opinion, Cyphus, I take a different stand on the logic vs ideals issue, mostly because I'm a sports fan (a tremendous understatement) and I've been looking at it a different way for years. Statistics are cold, dead, unflailing. They don't protest, whine, or adore/abhor. They never pick favorites (not saying your list picks favorites, of couse, but stats NEVER pick favorites, ever). There is no should would could. There is no "generally" or "future". There is what happened, period. Statistics can only prove the best, no more, no less. This points system has proven to be effective in sports, as well as other areas of the Smash community. Again, I respect your opinion, and I believe you know who's good and who deserves to be where, but who's place is it really to keep score, to position people as they deem fit? Let me give you an example, as I've done before: The setting is 2003. The LSU Fightin Tigers are playing against the Oklahoma Sooners in the College Football National Championship. Across the country, the USC Trojans are playing the Michigan Wolverines in the Rose Bowl, which in no way is affliated with the national championship game (for that year, at least). The Tigers win, the Trojans win. Statistics, which never lie or choose or judge, show that the undeniable champions are the Tigers. But, according to what people feel, the Trojans take home a share of the championship. Not only that, but because people feel they were the better team, the entire country still firmly believes they are the sole champions of 2003. Now, I ask you, whether USC was the best team in the country or not, do they really deserve to take LSU's place as champions of the country? If your answer is yes, then I'd have to respect your opinion, but I'd also have to say you're delusional. With the current system, you may be right (you're probably right), you may be wrong. But statistics are never wrong (unless of course they are written down wrong, which in turn is another error in humanity).
Now on to the ELO system. In a tourny, nobody wants to lose (they may not care about winning, but nobody wants to lose). If the ELO system were to only be in effect during tournies, then there would be no power leveling (grinding, if you will). And as far as the statement about not waiting 2 years, I've got a solution for that. Melee will be dying soon (don't cry, it's inevitable), but only to phoenix it's way to Brawl. So this ELO experiment that Sudai's conducting will be a perfect model for the competition in Louisiana Brawl. So, since no one's positive who will excel in this new game, it's a great time to start a new system of ranks.
I'd like to add that my opinion is not based my rank; it never has been and never will be. Whether I'm 1st (never) or 101st (more than likely), my stand on this won't budge. If everyone plays, and I'm ranked dead last, then that's where I deserve to be, because that's where the records put me. If it were up to me, I'd be taken off of every list (except for sexiest man alive, of course), because they only add to my ever-growing inferiority complex.

Sudai

Stuff here
Cyphus, yes Elo takes a while, but as Icy said, this is mainly just and experiment for Brawl.

The time we have until Brawl would probably get any other state accurate listings, but LA plays so seldomly that we won't get too accurate.

Icy brought up some really good points that don't need to be restated.

As for the whole point protection/boosting, that is somewhat prevented.
If one is not going to enter tournaments to avoid losing and going down in points, they won't win any money or get any better~ :p
If Lee (Going with your example, Cyphus) is going to play a bunch of n00bs to get his points up, first the n00bs have to consent to it (by entering a tournament or a verbal agreement) and then on top of that Lee would gain minimal points for winning. Say Lee was at 1600 points and this guy just left provisional status at 1168.

Code:
Win
Ea = 1 / ( 1 + 10 ^ ( ( 1168 - 1600 )  / 400 ) ) = 0.9009009009009009009009009009009
R'a = 1600 + 16 ( 1 - Ea )
R'a = 1601.5855855855855855855855855856 rounded to 1602
So his score would go up one point. Woo?
Now if he were to lose..
Code:
Ea = same
R'a = 1600 + 16 ( 0 - Ea )
R'a = 1585.5855855855855855855855855856 rounded to 1586
Think about it.

Also, the limits on ammount of Elo matches you can do in a week/month are going to limit what you can do. Bigger risk for more points or smaller risk for less points. Blah blah blah.

I think I'm done rambling now.

Top Bottom