• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L-Cancelling

Greasy_SSBM

Smash Cadet
Hello all!

Tonight I was practicing my routine, and I came to L-Cancelling/SHFFLing. Everything was fine...but I noticed one small issue-I was light shielding after 50% of my L-Cancelled attacks. I don't have a light shielding issue with my wave-dashing, however I used to. Is this because I am pressing down too long when I L-Cancel? Or could it be that I'm just using my normal shield when I land, causing me to light-shield out of my L-Cancelled move (as when I release the R trigger for my L-Cancel, I can see the light shield do that pop thing)? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, as I can't afford to be shielding out of my L-Cancels because I need to be able to string combos, and this slows me down.

Thanks a lot,
Greasy

P.S. I am running 20XX on a Dolphin 4.0-7840 Emulator. This probably doesn't affect much, however I thought I would just put that information out there.

The timing for L canceling is hitting L/R/Z 6 frames or less before hitting the ground. Your finger could still be on the trigger when you land. Try tapping it quicker

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
Remember, when L-canceling, you don't have to press the trigger down until it clicks. You should actually be trying to soft-press the trigger for your l-cancels, as it doesn't initiate a tech buffer (which could force you to miss a tech in the near future) and makes you less lightly to shield when you hit the ground.

chrbir5

Smash Cadet
You can develop a good habit out of this.
I would recommend the following training routine:
Lcancel -> light shield -> wavedash back
this is to develop in you a sense of fluid movement (fluid movement: minimizing standstill by constantly doing moves like dash backs wd backs jab after landing)
try to continually do lighter and lighter light shields after your lcancels
then try to not do them at all

It's a little reversed from common practice, but I think this is fun

Greasy_SSBM

Smash Cadet
Remember, when L-canceling, you don't have to press the trigger down until it clicks. You should actually be trying to soft-press the trigger for your l-cancels, as it doesn't initiate a tech buffer (which could force you to miss a tech in the near future) and makes you less lightly to shield when you hit the ground.
This makes a lot f sense, as I usually try to press down as hard as the trigger allows me too. Practicing with a soft press isn't a bad idea, so thank you!

Greasy_SSBM

Smash Cadet
You can develop a good habit out of this.
I would recommend the following training routine:
Lcancel -> light shield -> wavedash back
this is to develop in you a sense of fluid movement (fluid movement: minimizing standstill by constantly doing moves like dash backs wd backs jab after landing)
try to continually do lighter and lighter light shields after your lcancels
then try to not do them at all

It's a little reversed from common practice, but I think this is fun
This sounds like something I can and definitely will work into my routine! Better movement is always a good thing, so thanks, I appreciate the advice!

Top Bottom