• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L-Cancelling idea

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
I know there are people who don't want to see yet ANOTHER thread on this topic, but I had an interesting idea to not only keep L-Cancelling as a skill and game mechanic while also making it more accessible.

I'm going to go ahead and apologize for not reading every single L-Cancelling/new gameplay mechanic thread to find out whether or not this idea has been suggested, but even if it has, perhaps this would be a nice refresh on the idea.

Or maybe you're one of those people who believes that the aerial-specific auto L-Cancelling from Brawl is perfectly fine, and that all the new game needs is some faster falling speed. I like that idea too, but I had to talk about this idea I had.

My idea for L-Cancelling works similarly to the way it worked in 64/Melee, but with one change. This change would be the ability to cancel aerial lag using ANY button instead of just L or R, but still within 6(?) frames before landing.
An example will help to illustrate the advantages to this idea:
>Mario jumps
>Mario uses his Forward-Air while falling
>When Mario is within 6 frames of landing, the player controlling Mario presses the A button
>Mario's landing lag is cut, AND he immediately jabs* upon recovering (due to the A button input*)
Perhaps some inputs could cut more lag than others...? Just an idea.

The idea here is to achieve L-Cancelling in fewer button presses with no change to how L-Cancelling functions already. This idea still requires players to be technically proficient.

I was even thinking that the old L-Cancelling would still be available. That is, if you press L or R when landing, your landing lag is cut. In this case, you would recover back to a standing position. If this were the case, Melee style L-Cancelling could become obsolete in some cases, but again, still available.

I'm still trying to think of a new gameplay element that would offer a good enough reason to not L-Cancel, though. The idea is pretty lousy, but it's like this: if you L-Cancel an aerial attack, your next attack cannot do more % damage than the L-Cancelled attack for some amount of time...
I'll have to get back to you all on that one.

For now, any feedback would be appreciated.

VA3TO

Smash Apprentice
I don't see anything wrong with old L-Cancelling in order for it to be revamped. Improves gameplay, simple enough to perform and not too difficult to learn.

Although cutting lag from any old button seems a bit ridiculous. Although, it would speed up the game immensely. Eh who knows? It would have to be implemented to see how it fairs.

Medaka444

Smash Apprentice
The problem with L-canceling is that there's never a time when you don't want to perform it. Thus, it widens the gap between novices and pros, without adding any strategic value whatsoever. It's like the developers couldn't decide between long lag and short lag, so they added L-canceling as a compromise. Also, the trouble people have with it is not the button used, but the strict timing.

Really, the best fix to make sure more people use it is to simply mention it in the manual.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
The problem with L-canceling is that there's never a time when you don't want to perform it. Thus, it widens the gap between novices and pros, without adding any strategic value whatsoever. It's like the developers couldn't decide between long lag and short lag, so they added L-canceling as a compromise. Also, the trouble people have with it is not the button used, but the strict timing.

Really, the best fix to make sure more people use it is to simply mention it in the manual.

I agree, just mention it in the tutorial, manual, etc. and it should be fine. It adds a little bit of depth to the game and doesn't require too much skill.

L-cancelling with any button though is very odd. Naturally, the jump, special, etc. buttons can't be used because you perform an action.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
L-Canceling is a really stupid mechanic. Reduce the lag, introduce new mechanics for strategies.

Top Bottom