• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

l-cancelling a fast fall'd dair

xIcelinkx

Smash Cadet
I need advice for the dair.

When I'm fast falling to use a dair, I have trouble sometimes l-canceling at the right time. I always assume that I'm going to hit, and wait to l-cancel after I bounce off the enemy.

Is the right action to assume that I'm going to miss and prepare to l-cancel immediately? If I do connect, and accidentally l-cancel, will I be able to l-cancel (again) after landing?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You should have a good idea as to whether you're going to miss, hit, or hit the shield of an opponent (all of which require different timing for the l-cancel) when you go for an aerial. It just takes practice.

Keep in mind that you can also hit R/L more than once to cover more than one of these possibilities. Just make sure you don't continue to hit R/L after you've canceled the lag.

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
That sounds like when I first started to L-cancel. I just got so bad at L-canceling.
But like the guy said you should have an idea more then 50/50 if it's going to hit or not.
If I remember correctly I read about continuously hitting L/R doesn't work.
Also doesn't it have like no lag once you hit the opponent?

HiIH

Smash Lord
ace said:
Keep in mind that you can also hit R/L more than once to cover more than one of these possibilities. Just make sure you don't continue to hit R/L after you've canceled the lag.
This is wrong. If you miss your l cancel, you have so many frames before you can attempt again.

You should have enough time to Lcancel after you hit shields players and such. Aim for hitting L as you hit the ground. The best advice I can give for dair Lcancelling if you don't have the reactions for it is to use the SOUND to help. The POMP.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If I remember correctly I read about continuously hitting L/R doesn't work.
You remembered incorrectly. You're thinking of teching (hopefully), where you must hit R/L within 20 frames of hitting a techable surface. If you hit R/L too early, you must wait 40 frames before you can try again.

Also doesn't it have like no lag once you hit the opponent?
No, if you dair someone with Link and then hit the ground, there's a good chance an L-cancel will be possible/necessary.

This is wrong. If you miss your l cancel, you have so many frames before you can attempt again.
No, it's correct. You're thinking about teching, as I mentioned above. It's totally different than l-canceling.

The best advice I can give for dair Lcancelling if you don't have the reactions for it is to use the SOUND to help. The POMP.
Forget about using sound, that will most likely throw you off big time. Just pay close attention and time it the best you can. When it doubt, you can hit R/L (or Z) multiple times to cover more than one option. Just make sure you stop as soon as the lag is canceled.

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
What i do when approaching in the air (already in the dair) i hit L at the timing it would be if i were to miss. That way if they spot dodge or roll or sheild or somthing youll have some time to put up a sheild or jab. or somthing. If you do hit, link should move horizontal or diagonal up-ish after the hit allowing you to react and time the new L cancel. You should only need to hit L twice at the most. One for the "In case i miss" and one for the "I hit now i actually get to L cancel". Its not that complicated really.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
yea i love this topic, your question makes me think that you are thinking about the game wrong, ill write this instead of answering your query:

assuming you mean the opponents shield is up:

if youre talking about about short hopping and doing a down air, i wouldn't fastfall it all, use the time instead of hitting down to space yourself to the right or the left and get out of grab range or behind him to mess him up

if youre talking about full jumping you shouldnt be doing aerials on an opponent from full jumps when the opponent is on the ground he can shield grab you pretty easily if youre playing most characters, what you should do is land and grab him out of his shield

assuming the opponent messed up and your aerial is a guranteed hit:

if youre talking about a shorthop aerial i would still just use the time to space instead of trying to fastfall, most hitstun lets you land comfortably without fastfalling

if youre talking about full hop downair being fastfalled thats just timing practice you gotta learn, its pretty delayed

In general you never want to get used to timings instead you should just always watch when your character hits the ground

E.G. hitting both iceclimbers' shields is a different timing than hitting just marths's shield which is a different timing than hitting all three other players with your downair when they are clumped together in a team's match, so just watch your character and hit l when you see him bout to hit the ground

btw ALWAYS delay your aerials when the opponent is in his shield and delay your aerials as much as you can in other situations, this way you wont get shield grabbed or other gay things. Delaying is easier to do when you dont fastfall btw.

there are times when you need to do aerials really fast but those are pretty easy to figure out

Skler

Smash Master
I'm fairly certain you can't just mash L and l-cancel. It's similar to teching in that if you press it it will take a certain amount of time before the next press will matter for anything other than shielding.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Hitting L or R gives you a seven frame window that L-cancels. I don't know how long the dead window is.

Top Bottom