• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L-Cancel Help

Schronos

Smash Rookie
I've started to try and L-Cancel now. About 80% of the time I shield for some reason whenever I land and try to L-Cancel. Can somebody please tell me why and what I can do to fix that to L-Cancel properly. By the way I use Marth.

milligraham

Smash Apprentice
Are you pressing L/R all the way down when you l cancel? You only have to partially press the button to l cancel.
This helped me to stop shielding when trying to l cancel.

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
Yeah, you don't have to actually click down on the button to make it work. you can lightly press it , as if you were light shielding. Like milligraham said, it does help stop shielding. But, you could also have pressed the button AFTER the landing lag was already over and mistimed it. I play Marth too, and when i was learning to L-Cancel I just practiced standing fairs over and over in place to get the timing, then practiced it while moving forward and backward. I recommend trying that.

"YOLO"

Smash Cadet
You are supposed to press l cancel trigger before landing, are you doing that?

phish-it

Smash Champion
You are shielding because you are holding the button down for too long. Try to get into the habit of just tapping the L/R/Z button when L canceling.

aRes_fuRy

Smash Cadet
Practice, practice, practice.. Seriously there is no trick or secret that is going to help you other than that. I was marth main and was able L-cancel %80 of the time as well. The biggest tip I can give is L-cancel with a variety of characters, for example: Ganon, fox, samus, marth, and jiggs. Why those, all of there jumping is different, and they all have difference in timing their shffl's. At least that is what I did, but it took me weeks of practicing everyday to be able to consistently do all elements of SHFFLs, L-cancels were the most difficult for me to get down. Oh and did I mention PRACTICE!?!?!

Schronos

Smash Rookie
I do try to press it slightly before I land. I have been trying to press L lightly and it is helping somewhat so thanks for that tip!

Top Bottom