• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KTAR 12/5/15

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Any of you Samus mains, secondaries....funsies players going tomorrow? Would love to get some schooling on our girl in person!

Going to support my monthly players who are in Collegate (BSU) and then doing singles to hopefully absorb as much experience as I can!

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Thank you good sir. Been playing a lot of friendlies and winning about 75% of them. However I can feel the limitations on some follow ups...it's rather sad but I'll be going full steam ahead! :-D

Singles starts shortly....nervous but excited

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
I went and drowned in pools. Lost to a Rosa, Won 3 but knocked out by Cybaman65 a really good Sonic! He made top 20.

Yes I was DThrowing and even us both being ~20% I wasn't able to follow up with ANYTHING off my throws. I was confused. Yet Robins would DThrow+LSuair me no problem @ 80%
Or Marios and such still getting at least an UpB with us both being high %.

Made me really start to question our throw....not sure how it was "OK" in developers minds.

I still had a blast tho played people from all over and only saw 2 other Samus players there.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Happens! At least you had fun.
The combo timing window, on d-throw is pathetically small. When I spar against my friend on his TV, it takes me 10 minutes to adjust. I'm at a level of flawless execution on my home setup. It's a handful of frames, 60ths of a second. Why the hell they made the timings so damn tight is just absurd, I agree.
Even getting the f-air to work vs. outwards DI requires a precise input of dash generally above 30%. Just looking at videos from tournaments, I think many of our best players simply forego grab combos entirely because of how tight the timings are (i.e. unreliable).
Mario's d-throw has tons of frames of leniency and doesn't require any sort of special dash input, and its knockback barely lifts the target off the floor so the impact of DI is negligible.
I think at some point they couldn't come to grips with Samus having dash combos AND grab combos, so "let's leave them in there and just make it really hard!" was the (ill inspired) design decision.

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Yeah, Ill have to work more on matchup knowledge now. Showed me how much room I have to improve on to make it out of pools. Work is finally laying me off today until End of March so I'll be ironing out my wrinkles soon enough! :bee:

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Hark17ball Hark17ball , great to hear you went and represented Samus! Tournament experience is always a good thing, no doubt, and I'm sure, like you mentioned, you learned from it and will be able to further grow.

I would love a little tournament experience myself. Alas, I am simply unable to play even my local weekly (I'm lucky enough to have one in my area).

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
E.Lopez E.Lopez it was also pretty exhausting. The biggest tournament I've ever been a part of had 102 people this one had 256!

If you ever get a chance because the kids are at the parents or something for the week try it out I'm sure you'll love it I've met so many good people doing so

Top Bottom