• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kritique My Kong

cPalms

Smash Rookie
Hey!
I did some streaming last night and ended up playing a local crew guy from Stock Cancel Gaming named Dad. He's plays a good squirtle, and after a few matches, we decided to end it with a 2/3 match. He kicked my butt, and I'm dissecting my gameplay, but I'd like to get a 3rd party to check it out as well.

So critique away! Here's the video:
http://www.twitch.tv/oldetobeh/c/4036068

MrDoubleT

Smash Rookie
First of all, you seem very afraid of Squirtle. Don't be afraid of Squirtle, nor any opponent for that matter. You also need to remember that Squirtle isn't intangible, 1, and 2, can be grabbed when in shell (though this is harder to perform). I recommend that you try a grounded up b, since you can pretty much predict where Squirtle is going (towards you) or use the kick side b. Then once you get a hit, you have got to take full advantage of each and every oppurtunity. To me, bananas seem pretty useless in this MU since Squirtle won't trip in shell; however, you could use them to edgeguard. Oh, and don't stand by the edge when Squirtle is recovering from below. Instead, jump directly above him and then attack.

Didn't know Dad was now SCG...

cPalms

Smash Rookie
I normally deal with Squirtle by crouch cancelling or shielding, and then punish with a dsmash, but I noticed I missed a lot of those opportunities against him, or didn't maintain that strategy. Squirt is frustrating when he is in shell, I'll try an up-b in future MU's, and you're totally right about the bananas. As far as being afraid of him, I don't know, I think that's just my playstyle; defensive, dodgy teching, followed up with opportunist offense. There's just very little of those opportunities when playing against Squirtle because my bananas do nothing while he uses a move that is almost constantly applying pressure on ground (shell). I also find squirt REALLY difficult to gimp, which is normally where I am strong. He's such a small, fast-moving target in the air, I'll go for a gimp, completely miss, and get punished for it.

Ultimately, he's just a character I'll have to get used to and develop a different ground strategy for.

2dope

Smash Rookie
Not from a diddy kong only perspective, I would say that teching would be a great thing to practice.Your failed techs in game 2 got you killed in a massive combo for your first stock and evened up a match that was going your way because of his sd. Teching, in my humble opinion, is one of the most important aspects of the game, since its always important to make your character as fast as possible, especially when recovering from getting hit. I'm also learning diddy so not much for me to say other than sweetspot that ledge with up b more.

Top Bottom