• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kowns Thread.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I have an Ike problem, I've been losing to Ike since 10', how do you play the matchup? I always run away camp, but it doesn't seem to work :/
-Learn to powershield. you can powershield everything he has on reaction bar 2 moves (jab and B-air
-Don't **** around on the ledge. I have hitboxes that makes *****es jealous, Messing around on the ledge will probably get you killed at a stupid percentage.
-Throw me offstage and make me use aether. Grab the ledge, Even if I land onstage you get a free ledgedrop Fair/rev-Bair/Uair from it.
-Our jab beats yours in range and in speed so I would hardly bother trying to use it on us. Dtilt outranges us however, Learn the perfect spacing for it (because the hitbox goes slightly beyond the sword in the animation) and it will make your life much easier
-When recovering, Just avoid Ike. This should be obvious, Just go around him instead of trying to get extra damage on him.

Whats the name of the ike you lose to anyway?

Tesh

Smash Hero
-Learn to powershield. you can powershield everything he has on reaction bar 2 moves (jab and B-air
-Don't **** around on the ledge. I have hitboxes that makes *****es jealous, Messing around on the ledge will probably get you killed at a stupid percentage.
-Throw me offstage and make me use aether. Grab the ledge, Even if I land onstage you get a free ledgedrop Fair/rev-Bair/Uair from it.
-Our jab beats yours in range and in speed so I would hardly bother trying to use it on us. Dtilt outranges us however, Learn the perfect spacing for it (because the hitbox goes slightly beyond the sword in the animation) and it will make your life much easier
-When recovering, Just avoid Ike. This should be obvious, Just go around him instead of trying to get extra damage on him.

Why is this post switching between 1st and 3rd person so much?

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
pit's jab 1 is longer than ike's jab1 and jab2 so if you space ur jab beats ike's. mirror shield both recoveries. ify you are on the ledge drop back and away or straight down when he uses his big moves near the ledge (aether fsmash dtilt ff fair) and you'll be fine. oh ya ike has the 3rd worst traction or something like that so using wings a couple times or 1 well spaced wings can make him slide back to far to hit the ledge. and if he just stands by the ledge expecting you to fear him just uair>poor sdi on their part>bair>mirror shield their recovery.

of course you could just camp him near the ledge and in the sky and just pelt him with arrows and throw him off stage whenever he uses one of his many bad options. his jab's speed aside you can visually react to all his moves if you are fast enough.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar

Ikes on wifi :/ Red Roy, RL7 yesterday, but I've played San a while back and lost and a ton of Ikes I just get beat game 1 & 3, but beat them on Halberd.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Why is this post switching between 1st and 3rd person so much?
Because G~P thinks that you should stop worrying about what context I write things in

And because I had woken up about 10 minutes before and he wasn't firing on all cylinders
Ikes on wifi :/ Red Roy, RL7 yesterday, but I've played San a while back and lost and a ton of Ikes I just get beat game 1 & 3, but beat them on Halberd.
Right, Don't know of either of them (I know san obviously).
As for stages:
Ike likes: Battlefield, Delphino Plaza, Castle Seige, Smashville (in that order)
Ike doesnt mind: Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island, Halberd, Pokemon Stadium1
Ike dislikes: Frigate, Final destination.

It's important to note that on stages that can be sharked (Delphino, Halberd) Ike cannot get back from the ledge by ledge-hopping (dropping and double jumping) so his ledge options are severely limited

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Ok, it's decided. I will be the best Pit in the world. I'm gonna go through EVERY thread on the Pit boards and write down notes on everything.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
thats not how u get better. in fact tbh that will probably make you worse. gadiel if you're dedicate serious time to getting better you need to go through your videos and stop it every single time you got hit and ask yourself these questions:

1. why did i get hit?
2. what were all the options i could have chosen? (jump away, runaway, roll, sidestep, shield, vairous attack options, stand there)
3. which option(s) were better than what i picked?
4. which option should i have picked and why?
5. what will i do next time in the position on the screen?

and gadiel ive seen your vids the reason you last as long as you do is simply because you plank your soul out, which is bad. you aren't even close to good enough onstage yet which is what you need to practice a lot. record 5 videos of you playing against someone better than you bodying you onstage and make sure ur ledge grabs are less than 15 at the end otherwise all you did was use a crutch to not get bodied as hard. as you watch the videos, every single time you got hit, fill out the 5 questions above. However don't be lazy and have one of your solutions be "i should have gone to the edge and planked my heart out." think of offensive options or at least aggressive defensive options (an example of this would be a retreating fair). this takes a really ****ing long time, but then when you go over 5 matches worth of **** ups, you see patterns, these patterns are your habbits, but what about what isn't patterned? this is your poor option choosing. etc. you will access to tons of mistakes that you make, which is amazing because then you are allowed to correct them. I once heard dojo say he used to do something similar to this so it's where i got the idea. don't waste your time reading old bad ****. get good at brawl, there is no hiddin tech that will make using and winning with pit easier, reading those outdated pieces of garbage will literally be the worst use of your time if you want to spend it getting better.

edit:

and if you need help thinking of options, you have access to earth's vids and asking us you derp. we still have a vid critique section

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Best of luck to you then! To get better than earth though, that will be a task
Thank you, and yes I know. Masashi/Earth are both great to watch, although I think Earth's playstyle is a bit more effective nowadays, but Masashi was slightly better than Earth at his peak.

thats not how u get better. in fact tbh that will probably make you worse. gadiel if you're dedicate serious time to getting better you need to go through your videos and stop it every single time you got hit and ask yourself these questions:

1. why did i get hit?
2. what were all the options i could have chosen? (jump away, runaway, roll, sidestep, shield, vairous attack options, stand there)

and gadiel ive seen your vids the reason you last as long as you do is simply because you plank your soul out, which is bad. you aren't even close to good enough onstage yet which is what you need to practice a lot. record 5 videos of you playing against someone better than you bodying you onstage and make sure ur ledge grabs are less than 15 at the end otherwise all you did was use a crutch to not get bodied as hard. as you watch the videos, every single time you got hit, fill out the 5 questions above. However don't be lazy and have one of your solutions be "i should have gone to the edge and planked my heart out." think of offensive options or at least aggressive defensive options (an example of this would be a retreating fair). this takes a really ****ing long time, but then when you go over 5 matches worth of **** ups, you see patterns, these patterns are your habbits, but what about what isn't patterned? this is your poor option choosing. etc. you will access to tons of mistakes that you make, which is amazing because then you are allowed to correct them. I once heard dojo say he used to do something similar to this so it's where i got the idea. don't waste your time reading old bad ****. get good at brawl, there is no hiddin tech that will make using and winning with pit easier, reading those outdated pieces of garbage will literally be the worst use of your time if you want to spend it getting better.

edit:

and if you need help thinking of options, you have access to earth's vids and asking us you derp. we still have a vid critique section
Ok, I will do that, even on some of the videos I have out now that are slightly older. There's a free tournament later tonight w/ top GA/AL players, so I'll see if they can get recorded, and see how I'll do. It is true that I need to get better at my onstage game, but I have spent many practice sessions developing my original camping/plank/time out game, and I will use it if needed. Playing to Win doesn't mean you have to win by one style.

^^ lol that's you're exact gameplay vastar. clearly that guy knows what he's talking about.

:phone:
Hehe, lol, but I will get better onstage.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar

1. why did i get hit?

edit:

And btw, going through the old threads isn't completely useless. A lot of the old matchup threads still apply even after a couple years of new metagame, but there is always some that is outdated. And next time I get videos up, hold me to this!

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
It is true that I need to get better at my onstage game, but I have spent many practice sessions developing my original camping/plank/time out game, and I will use it if needed. Playing to Win doesn't mean you have to win by one style.
go ahead and plank all you want in tournament. don't waste ur money not playing gay when tourney status is on the line. im saying in friendlies and MMs less than $10 do what i said. get bodied, get vids, get grindin, get better. and tbh if you wanna throw a tourney game playing to learn against someone playing their best against you because it's tourney to get even better footage do it, that kind of footage is the purest.

and the old MU thread is probably the only one still kind of relevant.

@g~p

that's true, if i tell someone they plank too hard there is a problem :D

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
K I got outplayed at the tourney. I lost to Fox & a Marth main. One thing I did was that I was very predictable in general & on the ledge. I just assumed that my opponents didnt know how to punish it cuz not many people do so I kept doing it and getting hit. Especially vs the Marth main.

Another was that my approach & punish game was very poor. I had bad form & spacing vs both of the characters.

Also, I think I need to change controls or practice more bcuz there were at least 3 instances where I should have been able to PS but nothing came out & I got hit by Marths Fair on landings.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
that could well be your controller being bad yknow. I have similar issues with my backup pad. the shield button doesnt work properly. try using someone elses pad

When punishing, learn what moves are best for each situation, this is kinda just a trial and error process for the most part. just get to play people lots, friendlies and all that

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
marth beats pit man, fox however, who'd you lose to? p-3 or lion?

LionA, P-3 went Captain Falcon and took 4God to last hit, lol.

And I played like 10 friendlies w/ LionA before P-1 told me we had to play in tournament, and he already adapted to me, plus he's really knowledgeable about fighting games and options, so he definitely had the advantage. I'm not great at those two matchups though, and I studied Earth somewhat vs Yui, so I have a little more work I need to do, but I see what I need to do to pull off the win next time.

I think I might go ICs vs those two characters next time, lol. It would at least be even vs Marth, and I think it's 7:3 ICs vs Fox. But I just seriously need to learn the matchup w/ Pit, and I feel I can win next time. I was just way too predictable in my matches, and I def didn't use all of my tools, plus my bad mindset before playing Spade.

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
vastar, it's you don't adapt when you play people. like you'll pay a guy and when they adapt to your style and start punishing stuff you don't change up what you're doing you continue to play the way u did before they picked up on you. I honestly think spade is just better than you..as for lion, you could probably beat him. did you guys record your matches.?

oh waitttt p-3 did what??? to who???? wow I've been sleeping on that guy

Heartstring

Smash Legend
vastar, it's you don't adapt when you play people. like you'll pay a guy and when they adapt to your style and start punishing stuff you don't change up what you're doing you continue to play the way u did before they picked up on you. I honestly think spade is just better than you..as for lion, you could probably beat him. did you guys record your matches.?

oh waitttt p-3 did what??? to who???? wow I've been sleeping on that guy

man this was effort to read

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
gadiel, marth ***** pit. pit however destroys fox (i've played that **** recently and we own his options with an iron fist).

however why would you play bad against someone just because you think they don't know the MU. that's like not wearing ur seatbelt because you think person in the other car won't hit you. there is no excuse to play differently against people (obviously reads aside), you always play pit to his best and keep ur seatbelt on or you're gonna get ****ing ***** and never recover

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
gadiel, marth ***** pit. pit however destroys fox (i've played that **** recently and we own his options with an iron fist).

however why would you play bad against someone just because you think they don't know the MU. that's like not wearing ur seatbelt because you think person in the other car won't hit you. there is no excuse to play differently against people (obviously reads aside), you always play pit to his best and keep ur seatbelt on or you're gonna get ****ing ***** and never recover
@GP yeah I'm not too good at adapting yo players atm, I need to work on it.

@Nova-9 bro you have some truths, I need to make my game more dynamic, and less predictable & have a multitide of options to use vs characters/players. I think that will come through studying the game more & playing more high level players. Spade & LionA have slight advantages over me atm, but its nothing that I can't learn through hardwork/dedication. I think I can be the best player in GA/AL someday, hopefully by the end of the year I can show more promise.

@Abe, well I'm in belief that Pit can beat Marth, its just a matchup I need to work harder to learn, plus I could have picked better stages. 1st game was BF, & I CP'd Halberd vs both players, but I got spiked early vs Spade due to some tech errors/dumb decisions on my part.

And I def could have played the matchup better by spacing more w/ my own Fair, using SH Arrow, edgeguarding, using Fthrow or bthrow instead of upthrow everytime to put him offstage, and punishing his habits better like the spotdodge habit he mentioned after the matches. I didn't even pay attention to those details. This was vs Spade btw. And also his landing w/ Fair habit that I could not shield in time to punish.

But regardless, I will be ready for both players/matchups at the Feb 16th tournament, but especially the AL regional March 9th which I told myself I was winning or getting top 3 a while bck.

And now that I think about it, my focus should be to being on top of the metagame of my region, and understanding what will beat the top players in my region bcuz in doing that, it will make me top too...right?

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
woah woah woah, while thats true, there is also no limit on human potential. if you have your breakthrough, you have your breakthrough. just don't be disapointed if it doesnt happen when/how u want

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I mean if you are still losing to names like lionA or Spade then top three isn't realistic for you

Bro, why you so negative? lol, but what you say won't bother me at all, I will keep on working harder to be a better player. That bad attitude is what will hurt you in the long run bro(in smash & life), you better believe it! ;)
woah woah woah, while thats true, there is also no limit on human potential. if you have your breakthrough, you have your breakthrough. just don't be disapointed if it doesnt happen when/how u want
True true, anything can happen, look @ Salem. Noone expected him to win, and he got a lot better in a 3 months span that helped him to win Apex.
names like reflex and drn has lost to them, so what are you even saying?
True, and I've beaten DRN, P-1, and took Reflex to last stock/last hit before, it's just the consistency issues, and the fact that they are more knowledgeable, more experienced, and better players than me atm.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
'It's doesn't matter if you're the best athlete, It doesn't matter if you're the best performer, It doesn't matter if you're the best entertainer, All that matters is one little rule: There is a glass ceiling and no-one is allowed to break it!'

Tesh

Smash Hero
too much too fast. you aren't going to win a tournament that matters anytime soon but you can start moving your placement up bit by bit by focusing on being better.
Too true, you can gimmick your way to a quick victory, but the key to long lasting success is going to be improving all your skills. You might see yourself fall before you rise.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Too true, you can gimmick your way to a quick victory, but the key to long lasting success is going to be improving all your skills. You might see yourself fall before you rise.
sure this wasnt directed at abe rather than emphasising his post~?

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i haven't been to a tourney in months and im a lot better than you guys think nowadays. you'll see in march tho. im actually considered a threat around here now thx to some good wins in MMs

Heartstring

Smash Legend
you probably are. Im just taking the oppurtunity to take the pee out of your incredibly odd playstyle that I saw at apex 2012 :B

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
oh god..... i was so close to keeping my lead against bassem in pools. ****ing waft ruined my timeout. then i played that german g&w/mk, nuff said. then mvd. after losing to mvd i just said **** it and forfeited the last game and went on to have the greatest experience of my life. to this day nothing has topped apex 2012 as the greatest weekend of my life. only a couple regrets but those happen everyday so it's watevs

edit: and wats sad is i still was better in dubs than a lot of people then even tho i sucked at singles. i gave kuro 5 stocks both games and gimped will under 80% twice. and i got an early bair on nicol3. i felt accomplished in dubs even tho i didn't advance

double edit:

and i just remembered i do have one big regret from apex, but that's a tale as old as maharba the mystic

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Its funny how the people who have been been in this game longer than I have think I'm just being negative. Let me tell you that you are going to have to start thinking differently than you have been in regards to getting better at this game if you actually want to get better at this game

Top Bottom