• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Knowledgeable advice if you would be so kind..

HowlAtTheMoon

Smash Rookie
Hi there everyone I have been having a lot of difficulty lately settling down with a character and getting comfortable..so i've come to you asking for some advice. I apologize in advance if this is seen as just another "who should my main be?" thread. However my question is more based around who I used to main in Melee, which was Captain Falcon, I don't particuarly find him a viable choice for Brawl outside of friendlies, however I do like his style and was wondering if anyone else may have a similar feel, or be easy getting into after C.Falcon.

Some things that I really appreciate a character to have is a walljump, and a spike, as I loved both with the Cap. I also like decent recovery, and not having to kick myself in the arse for deaths related to failed recovery attemps.

Thus far I have considered Diddy and Falco.

So please let me hear your opinions, and thank-you in advance for taking the time to reply to what may seem like another generic topic.

~Howl

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Play FARUKO and start chain grabbing everyone. DIDI KONGU is lame and has bad priority. And also, his nanerz can be used against him.

Yep, just chain grab. Because that's what Brawl is. Chain grabbing everyone till death.

I suggest playing Melee with your friends.

HowlAtTheMoon

Smash Rookie
Also out of curiosity I HAVE to ask if Wolf's recovery can be improved in any way(i'm a fan of all the space animals, guilty pleasure I guess?) I ought to head over to the character discussion section I guess however.. When I tried playing Wolf I ran into several frustrating recovery-denial incidents varying from coming up short, or being off ever so slightly, to getting hit in the face by a nade tossed by Snake and just flat out dropping to my doom. Are these things avoidable to make him better in terms of recovering?

Thanks again.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Wolf's recovery isn't the greatest and is easily gimped. So no. Stay alive if you wanna play him.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
One of my roommates used to be a pretty kickass Captain Falcon. He was also very sad when Brawl took 3/4 of Falcon's brain out.

First he tried Pit and then Luigi, but now he's settled on ROB. He's become very good, too. So based on that, I guess ROB is my suggestion (incredible recovery, a 360 degree move with splash damage, plenty of projectiles but lots of close range attacks that still do plenty of damage...etc)

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
I'd say play Snake because he's ridicolous fun in Brawl. If you really want the playstyle you're after though...

Marth. No walljump, but he's loaded with spikes and traps, tricks, and technical gameplay. He's everything he was in Melee + an easier spike tip. Low percents he can guaranteed combo up air into upsmash/fsmash/uptilt due to it auto cancelling, and even a short hop dancing blade if you're really good - all 5 hits register on training even vs lv 9 dummies.

His nair can combo at low percents into a ton of stuff, and Felix, a decent smasher and it would appear friend of Gimpy's (since they seem to know through yt comments and they speak chummy there) announced on allisbrawl he actually has a guaranteed combo 70% that works from 0%, starting with n air. I don't know if I believe him, but experimenting has at least gotten four hits with jump in nair to nair. He said he didn't wanna reveal his tournament tricks because he's a stuck up reta- I mean he wants an advantage if he goes to evo, should it not suck.

Ken combo is in but not really as reliable if your enemy is smart. Its more of a tech trap this time.

So yeah, he has good recovery, can turn anything into a spike, has nuts speed and a lovable fluidity to his attacks.

HowlAtTheMoon

Smash Rookie
I'm not saying that the suggested character has to have these attributes, just that one of them would be nice, since I enjoyed using both whenever I could, but yes... Mario, Toon Link, Falco, C.Falcon, Wolf, Samus, (dunno if Pikachu has a spike). And there might be some others still ;)

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
If you want to win tournaments go with Snake and MK. Or check Ankoku's rankings and pick out a few on top.

If you don't care about that, I suggest basing your choice off how the character moves. I find that I instantly know whether I like playing a character based on how they get around the stage rather than what attacks they have. Jump speed, running speed, fall speed etc. Could just be my personal preference but it might help to consider.

???????

Smash Journeyman
I say Mario because he's got lot of cool tricks and combos; he's got a lot of cool ATs at his disposal in addition to a number of combos.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
I want a skillful european mario to play vs my half aszed sonic ;_; so I can have a classic mario vs sonic bout

icicleblade

Smash Apprentice
I think Toon Link. He has a spike, has good mobility, and a good recovery. Besides, he's just fun to play.

Top Bottom