• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Knockdown Followups

Y-L

Smash Champion
So what do you guys do when your opponent gets knocked on the floor? At a distance you can charge QD and attack if they stand up, grab if they roll away but I never have any idea what to do if they roll towards you (assuming the roll puts them out of range of a QD attack). Also when you're next to them what do you do? I tend to wait for a get up attack and grab or just move away because I don't think Ike can jab reset. What do

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
So what do you guys do when your opponent gets knocked on the floor? At a distance you can charge QD and attack if they stand up, grab if they roll away but I never have any idea what to do if they roll towards you (assuming the roll puts them out of range of a QD attack). Also when you're next to them what do you do? I tend to wait for a get up attack and grab or just move away because I don't think Ike can jab reset. What do
Roll towards can sometimes be covered by reverse JCQD grab depending on spacing, covers pretty close to in front of you if you manage to cancel at min distance.

Ike can totally jab reset with jab 1, I do it all the time.

Funny thing is short-hop not FF Fair is slow enough to cover get-up attack and roll away if you space it well, lol. I go for that reasonably often.

Commander

Smash Ace
I jab reset with jab1 or jab2 only when I'm close to them. Otherwise I like to go for the OHKO. Is it the safest or most reliable option? No, it isn't. Is it the most hype option in the entire game? Yes.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
If your opponent is knocked down near the ledge, FSmash can be an excellent option because it has a huge amount of coverage over their limited teching options and extremely high rewards for connecting.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Side-b pretty much covers any tech and jab reset is even more harmful if they don't tech.
Also if you just side-b if they don't tech you can still get a punish, wait them out while charging and if they stand up just release ->grab/any aerial pretty much, and if they just wait on the ground at some point you can do release->WD as fakeout or release attack if you think they won't stand up.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Side-b pretty much covers any tech and jab reset is even more harmful if they don't tech.
Also if you just side-b if they don't tech you can still get a punish, wait them out while charging and if they stand up just release ->grab/any aerial pretty much, and if they just wait on the ground at some point you can do release->WD as fakeout or release attack if you think they won't stand up.
That is the situation I'm talking about but if they roll in such that it's too close for Ike to QD attack/QD->pivot grab Ike doesn't have a lot of options.

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
I jab reset with jab1 or jab2 only when I'm close to them. Otherwise I like to go for the OHKO. Is it the safest or most reliable option? No, it isn't. Is it the most hype option in the entire game? Yes.
Personally I like to feint a OHKO into a pivot grab and face my opponent and say "Your not worthy enough" then Fthrow to set up another Knockdown

RomanCenturionX

Smash Cadet
I've found that SHFFL'd nair covers most options particularly tech in place, tech towards, and no tech. It can also cover tech away but that would require proper spacing and a good read. I also like using utilt to cover no tech, you can usually get 3 or 4 in depending on weight and DI before you throw a bair in to send them offstage.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I never thought to use Fair or Nair to cover options. I usually chase them with QD JCG until they start rolling in. Then wait and punish on reaction (usually a regrab)

Ike is really good at tech chasing. Dthrow is good against characters with short rolls (Squirtle) and fat ****s (Bowser). Fthrow has to be DI'd away otherwise it's a free regrab. This is a perfect setup for a QD chase.

ZestE

Smash Cadet
I never thought to use Fair or Nair to cover options. I usually chase them with QD JCG until they start rolling in. Then wait and punish on reaction (usually a regrab).
This right here. If they're in a position where rolling towards me will place them too close for QD shenanigans, I like to just stand and react. If they roll towards you, do as you please (I like to re-grab and Fthrow). If they stand up or get up attack, they're in the perfect range for you to go for anything pretty safely. If they roll away, QD shenanigans strike again.

Top Bottom