• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KLPI's Get Good Smash Bi-Weekly 3

Ponkapa

Smash Cadet
KLPI's Get Good Smash Bi-Weekly 3, 4/5/2014 at Louisiana Tech
Initial Thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/apr-...wl-and-project-m-tournament-ruston-la.351140/

Hey all again!

Understandably, there will be some confusion on naming, so let me explain real quick: Our first tournament was not posted on Smashboards and not very publicized, but when working on the stream, we decided to count it. I won't be posting the results of that one, but the second was posted here. Anyways, the numbering and name should be finalized after this one.
Also, I assure you that while the brackets say #2, these are the correct brackets, lol.

We had a total of:
-26 entrants for Project M
-10 teams for Project M doubles
-20 entrants for Brawl

Stream has recordings of matches:
http://www.twitch.tv/getgoodsmash

YouTube uploads:
PLACEHOLDER FOR YOUTUBE

No entry fee, and no prize was awarded - it's on Louisiana Tech's college campus, and legally we're not allowed to have money change hands. (We're looking into having future tournaments offer a prize/entry fee).

We adhered to Apex 2014's ruleset with one minor change:
-All finals (Losers and Winners) were done with a 3 out of 5 set.
-All grand finals (Winners Grand Finals, that is) were done with a 4 out of 7 set, with the exception of doubles.

Key: Nothing means they didn't tell me their main (Wahh :yoshi:)
:RANDOM: means they chose random throughout the tournament.

1: Hero :toonlink:
2: TxB Eman :gw:
3: Rodan:popo:
4: Daus :wolf:
5: Ponkapa :yoshi2:
5: Baltazar :metaknight:
7: Bad :kirby2:
7: [GaY]Swim4Him
9: BirdyBirds :lucas:
9: Murdock :RANDOM:
9: Pakichu Noriwa :popo:
9: Gooz :toonlink:
13: Pooki :ness2:
13: DBA :toonlink:
13: [GaY]Henza
13: Potter
17: Joke :kirby2:
17: [GaY]TPAIN :kirby2:
17: King Koopa :kirby2:
17: Dandroid :sonic:

1: Drinking Food :rob:
2: Hero :link2:
3: Daus :ganondorf:
4: [GaY]Fox :ganondorf::wario::bowser2:
5: Rodan :peach::falcon:
5: Natho :mewtwopm:
7: Macho Macho Man :sheik: :diddy:
7: Ponkapa :yoshi2:
9: [GaY]Woots :lucas::kirby2:
9: [GaY]Swim4Him :zelda:
9: Gooz:wolf::link2:
9: Murdock :link2::mario2:
13: Pooki :rob:
13: [GaY] Drizzle :mario2:
13: Bestrin :ness2:
13: Mr. Fish :mario2:
17: Rex :sheik:
17: TxB Eman :marth:
17: Kowa :zelda::popo:
17: King Koopa :kirby2:
17: BirdyBirds :lucas::ness2:
17: Woots 2 :ness2:
17: Potter
17: Bad :mewtwopm:
25: Joke :kirby2:
25: [GaY]TPAIN :kirby2:

1: Andrew and Daniel (Rex and Drinking Food) :sheik:(mainly) &:rob:
2: James and Fox (Ponkapa and Fox):yoshi2:&:samus2::snake:
3: Terrill and Michael (Daus and Rodan) :ganondorf:&:peach:
4: Chris and Nathan (Mr. Fish and Natho) :mario2:&:zelda:
5: Brett and Stephen (Bestrin and BirdyBirds) :ness2:&:lucas:
5: Mike and Adrian (MachoMachoMan and Gooz) :sheik:&:wolf:
7: Cody and Pat (Pooki and Murdock) :mario2:&:mario2:
9: Nick and Friend (Woots and Friend) :lucas:&:zelda:
9: James and Ed (Bad and Hero) :mewtwopm:&:link2:
13: Scott and Drake (Swim4Him and [GaY]Drizzle) :zelda:&:mario2:

Ponkapa

Smash Cadet
Ha! I snag first shoutouts!

Thank you to Gale, Kimberly, MachoMachoMan, Mr. Fish, Drizzle, and especially Bestrin. You made this tournament so much easier to host.

Gale: Thanks for taking care of registration and all that fancy announcing business!

Kimberly: Thanks for manning the table with the laptop when I went off to play matches and announce and do not-TO related things.

MachoMachoMan: You told me you didn't do much, but this definitely wouldn't have happened without you sharing the load.

Mr. Fish: Same to you! Brackets went so much smoother with you manning them.

Drizzle: You came in and immediately made it your job to make sure people played their matches and found often the best order in which to do them - we could have been there a lot longer without you speeding things along, so thanks!

Bestrin: Oooohh man, I wasn't expecting to have a stream up and running! You're the man to thank for that one.

BirdyBirds: Ha, shouting out to you too and you can't stop me! I know you helped with the stream, so thanks for that.

Daus: Even though we didn't use your headset, thanks for being willing to let us try to use it. I respect that!

Again, thank you to everyone who has made this TO'ing business that much easier on me, you've been great friends and a great help. Hope to see you guys for the next one!

(Ahh sorry if I missed anyone, I would feel terrible if I did :[ )

BirdyBirds

Smash Cadet
Shoutouts::ness:

:kirby2:Potter: was fun. you should come back next time

:popo:Rodan: Nothing but respect for you. All the practice going into the iceclimbers mechanics really show. Great game.

:mewtwopm:Natho: it's my firm belief that Mewtwo is op. and i only believe this because of you.

:wolf:Daus: really good player. very scary. loved watching you play.

:link2:Hero: really fun watching you play. the link bomb jump saved me in a friendlies match, allowed me to get back on stage and win game. Also nice texture/sound mods, really makes it a fun friendlies machine.

:ness2:Bestrin: really fun double Ness team. we should do it again. also thanks for the stream. (and knocking me out of losers, not cool... jk)

:yoshi2:Ponpaka: hope we can friendlies more, and great job on shoutcasting and holding the tournament.

:peach::ganondorf:Terrill and Micheal: you guys are scary a duo with peach/ganon.

Nick and Friend: literally the best games of the night. (all ness, all pokemon, all captain falcon, all random, then normal)

:wario:Fax: i really want to play you. i'd probably lose, but still i think it'd be fun.

:rob:Drinking Food: i'm sorry i messed up your name on stream. hope you can forgive me.

:gw:Eman: glad to see you at the tourny. would love to play more P:M with you.

Friendlies throughout the day: thanks for playing with me. i'd love to play more friendlies next tournament.

Last edited:

Mr. Fish

Smash Cadet
Alright might as well do shoutouts!

First off, thank you to Kimberly, Gayle, and Drizzle for helping out with the bracket and setup.

Natho: Thanks for being my doubles partner last minute, we did well but we need to practice so we can win the next one!
Bestrin: Thank you for streaming and helping clean up afterwards and all in all assisting in running the tournament.
Hero: It was really cool talking to you and i'm glad you decided to come out to the tournament, your Link is scary.
Daus: Your Ganon was so good that I wasn't even mad you beat me.
MachoMachoMan and Ponkapa: Thanks for starting these tournaments up and allowing me to be a TO, i'm really enjoying it.
Pooki and Murdock: Our doubles match was insanely close and I had so much fun! Thanks for coming to the tournament!
Rex and DrinkingFood: Thanks for coming from out of town to play and bring a whole new skill level to the scene here, you two made a vicious team. And DF, your ROB was crazy.
BirdyBirds: Thanks for manning the stream and those friendlies with me and Natho were lots of fun.
Fax: Once again, it was an honor losing to you
Gooz: I'm learning to play space animals, so you can maybe look forward to a wolf ditto from me soon! Won't have to deal with Mario haha
TPAIN: Thanks for coming to the tournament even though you got eliminated early, you coming out and having fun is what it's all about and I like your desire to get better
Baltazar: You went on a tear through losers bracket and brawl, and while using a wiimote. Really impressive!
TxB Eman: It was cool talking to you and I think we should play in P:M sometime even though you don't play much, I think we'd have some good matches

If I forgot anyone i'm sorry, but that's what I could come up with off the top of my head. Happy smashing and I look forward to seeing everyone at the next tournament!

LittleFoxBot

Smash Rookie
I really enjoyed this tourney. Everyone that showed up seemed like cool people and most of them beasts at PM. I managed to get to get top 4 with my gimmicky bull****.
To-do list: figure out counters to ROB and Link's ***** ass, because holy **** Link is so popular now.

Bestrin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4656-9213-2468
Highlight video is LIVE! Edited link in top of my VoDs post.

SHOUTOUTS:

Firstly, I want to thank everybody who traveled to make it for the tournament. The dedication you put in to helping our community grow is all I could ever ask for.

Thanks to everybody who ever bothered to open the stream. Even if for just a minute, I appreciate you giving us the chance to go viral. Four weeks from now, there will be a big overhaul on the stream. Just you wait.

Big thanks to those who helped commentate the stream - Ponka, Birdy, Natho, Eman, and anybody else. Practice makes perfect and we will all get better at it. I can't wait.

To the TO's - Ponkapa, Mr.Fish, and MachoMachoMan - thanks again for what you're doing for our smash community. We're about to take off- I know it.

Birdybirds - we need more doubles practice. Come over any time. I need to learn to stop spiking you when you're on my team...

Ponkapa - you kick ass, dude. I can't thank you enough for what you're doing. Thanks for giving the stream a chance, and thanks for you awesome commentating and helping keep the stream alive. You and I will do much more duo commentary in the future. HOWEVER, I am still salty about our match. I still want my rematch.

Eman - we practice until I can beat you in Brawl and you can beat me in P:M. deal?

Nick and Friend (I think) - those doubles sets were freaking awesome. Most fun I had all day.

You're all awesome.

OH, and I'm damn salty that I didn't get a single one of my games on stream. >,>

Last edited:

Murdok

Smash Cadet
Very fun tournament...can't wait til the next one....a bit salty I placed the same in brawl as I did in PM, even though I hadn't played brawl in years and went random.

BirdyBirds

Smash Cadet
how early can we get a confirmation on tourny or no tourny on easter weekend? or if we would move it back/forward a week?

Rodan

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, wow what a fun tournament! Was so hype and fun and just about everyone was cool, and it was a good experience. Props to the TOs for putting on a good event, and to Bestrin for getting a capture card and streaming the experience. Happy that my crew of Daus, Hero, and I managed to represent with top placings in pretty much every event, though I was aiming for top 4 in P:M. Wish more Brawl had been streamed, but it's understandable that it was a mainly P:M event.

Shout-outs:

Ponkapa and Fox for our loser's finals. Was really fun playing with you guys, and would have liked to have played both of you in singles. We'll get you next time. :D

Bestrin and BirdyBirds for our two sets in doubles, hope you guys had as much fun playing with us as we did you.

To Natho I am super salty about that match and all my suicides, I will be coming back to redeem that set. GGs though.

To E-man for knocking me out of winner's bracket and in loser's finals for Brawl, good stuff man. Showed some holes in my gameplay, but I'll be looking into the Game and Watch match-up and I look forward to our next games. Fear the chain-grabs.

To Balathazar for taking my chain-grabs in good stride and telling me the match was the most fun you had the whole tournament. For playing with just a wiimote, you showed a lot of potential. Hope see you at the next one for some friendlies.

To anyone else I played in Brawl, ggs, and hope you weren't discouraged.

To DrinkingFood, thanks for money match, I learned a few things, and congrats on your P:M win, your ROB is on a whole nother level and I hope you make it out here again to hype things up.

To Daus, sorry I knocked you out of loser's bracket in Brawl man! But it was a great set with no suicides and it's a crying shame it wasn't streamed. So close and it is probably one of my favorite victories. Thanks for being my partner and rival in these games for the past 9 or so years.

To MachoMachoMan for what was a really tense match for me, it was a good set man, and you gave my Falco a run for his money. Keep up on those tech chases and follow-ups and your Shiek should go places.

To Hero, this is the second tournament we've all gone to together, and I thank you for always getting us together for these events so we can all show off and have fun in this game we've come to share together. Can't even be upset you knocked me out of the tournament, as I'm glad to be able to train and practice with you and theory-craft this game. Congrats on winning Brawl and second place in P:M. I'll always cheer for you man!

To anyone I didn't get a chance to play, I hope to see you at the next one. Seek me out, I want to play as many friendlies and matches as possible. Let us get these tournaments as hype as they can be. Also, my crew is up for any 3v3 group battle at the next event if anyone is interested. :D

Hope I didn't miss anyone!

Edit: Extra shout-out to everyone who got this together. The idea of a North LA tourney scene has been needed and you guys have lit the torch, and I'm on a highlight video for SMASH! Like a dream come true. Keep on being awesome everyone. :D

Last edited:

Machomachoman

Smash Rookie
Shoutouts here

TO's and helpers

To Ponkapa, Fish, Bestrin, Wind Drake, Kim and Gayle, thanks for all the help with the tournament, and especially ponkapa and bestrin and fish for giving me more credit than was due with the organization of the tournament and being absolutely great TO's.

PM

To Drinking Food: Playing your R.O.B. was more of an honor than a match, but it's good to see how good a person can actually be.

To Rex: I'm really sorry you had to lose out that way, but we had some good matches. Thanks to you I got to have a really good tournament, I hope you got the lion's share of fun in double's and friendlies.

To Pooki: That was a fun match, looking forward to seeing you and murdock show up in the future.

To Rodan: That match was really intense, I'm still a little salty, but your falco was something I don't get to see very often. You and your crew's tech skill was real, and I hope we get to play you guys a couple of times before the next tourney.

To swim4him: You're zelda is so deceptively good, please go polish it hard core, learn some defense, and wreck some people

To Fax: Get wrecked. Now get better

Doubles

To Gooz: I am so good at dodging all your friendly fire. Come at me. But really, we made a great team for quite a few reasons, let's do it again.

To Fax and Ponka: Yall know you's is good

To Pooki and Murdock: All those team kills damned you guys, but the match was still fun. Probably would have had us otherwise. Hope to see both of you back again.

Fish and Natho: You guys worked surprising well as a team, keep it up.

Baltazar was just in this for fun and doesn't plan on putting time in the game until Smash 4 comes out, so he told me to do some shoutouts for him

He wanted to thank everyone for the compliments, and told us to respect the power of the wiistick.

Shoutouts to Eman and Rodin specifically for knocking him out and showing him a good time.

Last edited:

Ponkapa

Smash Cadet
I really love all ya'll. Just gonna throw that out there. Thus far I don't think I could do it on Easter weekend, so it looks like the next tournament is projected to take place on April 26th, a week after the initially planned date!

To everyone mentioning a scene up in North Louisiana, I didn't think it could be done, I didn't think it would be done. I'm not going to count my eggs before they hatch, but I really, really do want to make this happen. I appreciate every single person that shares that with me.

I've done my shoutouts, but really, thank you to everyone who came. Let's continue to grow this thing, and we'll see a scene here yet!

Bestrin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4656-9213-2468
Yo the rest of the matches have been uploaded to my channel but I've been on mobile all day since then so I haven't updated my post.

Edit: Also, I won't be in Ruston for Easter weekend or the weekend after.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
You could always delay two weeks, finding the best date for everyone is more important I think than sticking to any particular schedule

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
I really love all ya'll. Just gonna throw that out there. Thus far I don't think I could do it on Easter weekend, so it looks like the next tournament is projected to take place on April 26th, a week after the initially planned date!

To everyone mentioning a scene up in North Louisiana, I didn't think it could be done, I didn't think it would be done. I'm not going to count my eggs before they hatch, but I really, really do want to make this happen. I appreciate every single person that shares that with me.

I've done my shoutouts, but really, thank you to everyone who came. Let's continue to grow this thing, and we'll see a scene here yet!
There's already two tourneys going on that day...

Ponkapa

Smash Cadet
There's already two tourneys going on that day...
I see you have your LSU Monthly going on that day, that sounds great! But that's all the way in Baton Rouge, is the only thing. Still...

Yo the rest of the matches have been uploaded to my channel but I've been on mobile all day since then so I haven't updated my post.

Edit: Also, I won't be in Ruston for Easter weekend or the weekend after.
I kind of want you there for streaming, and if DF also would rather it be the weekend after, maybe we should just adhere to the bi-weekly schedule we have currently and skip Easter. Maybe we'll do a small get-together for any smashers around earlier that weekend (before Saturday).

Again, dates are tentative, thanks for the feedback. There's a lot we can work with :]

As always, I'll be monitoring this thread to see what we'll do!

Rodan

Smash Rookie
So no response to DF's question? I am also curious when the next one is being planned. Gotta start building hype. Also has a pot finally been discussed? I'm sure everyone wouldn't mind throwing some money into this and putting higher stakes on the line.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
can't be the 26th because I can't come that day lol
I'll be in Texarkana for T-Town Throwdown 2
may 3rd is better since idk if i'll be able to make it to whobo so I could come to this instead

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
damn that's move-out day for us at NSU, probably won't be able to come that day either, because i'll probably be at home at the time lol, and it's a longer drive from home
Not that this really should be scheduled around me or anything, I would like to come but you guys should do the best date for you.

Ponkapa

Smash Cadet
Oh goodness, sorry about being radio silent so long. Bestrin I think you have my phone number, so you could text me for updates, but I've just been kind of swamped.

We initially had it planned for May 3rd, but unfortunately, that's WHOBO and we all had planned to go. I also have to begin moving out on May 10th so I won't really have a chance to host for awhile. We'll have to play it by ear, I hate the fact I've had to delay this so far.

Worst comes to worst we'll have to pick up next school year. I'll try and keep anyone posted if we have just smash nights, so at least people can get some out.

I'll try and be more available in general. It just sucks that all of TO's schedules have been perfectly spaced to mess up any tournament we've been planning :[

Last edited:
Top Bottom