• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Top Technique

cityondown114

Smash Rookie
As I am primarily a Kirby, I stand in the minority of the Smash community. I strongly believe that Kirby is one of the most unique characters in the game....for this important reason:
I think that Kirby must have the most fluid fighting technique. Kirby is not one of the characters that you can expect to do well unless you have the ability to adapt. I think adaptation is what truly makes a good kirby--- not a good set of combos......or the ability to pull off a good kirbicide. That is why I argue that Kirby is one of the easiest characters to learn.....but most difficult to master. Do you guys agree?

Nashun

Smash Ace
All characters, in order to do well, require a player that can easily adapt, Kirby included. All characters must have a "fluid" fighting technique because of how this game works. If anything, Fox has the most fluid fighting because he probably has the most moves available to him in any given situation. Kirby has maybe two or three he can use; Fox has five or six. How can Kirby be fluid when he doesn't have a lot of useful moves? If anything, it makes him more stale than other characters. Do you agree?

cityondown114

Smash Rookie
yes to some extent....but it also seems like many characters can use a single style that applies to a lot of characters with just a few specialized moves. such as... (this is a HYPOTHETICAL example...not an insult ) Jigglypuff could fight everyone about the same, but use different rest combos based upon the person. However, I believe that kirby has to adjust his ENTIRE fighting style because he is so light and floaty. Fox is extremely fluid because of his availability of moves, but I think Kirby at least is comparable. Not only must your "major" moves change, but also your jumping style with each character. This is quite the opposite of how many people fight opponents. Keep their "major" moves the same and changing their advanced technique only.

Nashun

Smash Ace
In that case, yes...Kirby does need to adjust a bit when fighting different characters. I was referring to fluidity as actual fighting style in a single battle while you were referring to fluidity as changing between different characters.

Binx

Smash Master
All characters, in order to do well, require a player that can easily adapt, Kirby included. All characters must have a "fluid" fighting technique because of how this game works. If anything, Fox has the most fluid fighting because he probably has the most moves available to him in any given situation. Kirby has maybe two or three he can use; Fox has five or six. How can Kirby be fluid when he doesn't have a lot of useful moves? If anything, it makes him more stale than other characters. Do you agree?
I agree with this statement, Kirby has very few options and very poor movement both in the air and on the ground, if someone wins a match with kirby its because they are way better than you are. Kirby is always limited by his mobility as well as options, he doesnt punish mistake very well and he is light and easy to kill, his one grace is the fact that he can be difficult to hit due to his size, his projectile is too slow to approach with or to spam, and his aerials are slow and dont have much priority, I really dont know how Kirby wins any matches.

cityondown114

Smash Rookie
Though I think Kirby has a little more flexibility than you believe Binx. Slight variations in Kirby's jumping can make his return to stage after flying off extremely difficult to judge. Also, his (b-up) sword move can act as a very good spike one the timing is right....pretty neat actually. I have had many battles where having a Kirby on a team has effectively turned the entire match around....maybe you just haven't seen any amazing Kirbys. Some can be quite good...especially if they are good at adapting to the playing style of their opponent.

Nashun

Smash Ace
You're going to have to get this down in your head if you're ever going to start playing competitively.

Ever character relies on the player's ability to adapt to their opponent. If there is no adaptation, you can't really win in a high level of competition. Kirby is not special because Kirby players have to adapt. Every character needs the player to adapt. If you can't understand this, then you don't understand the high level of play.

Kirby does not have the flexibility that other characters have. He's slow in the air, so once you dedicate to a certain move with a certain spacing it's hard to change. If your opponent knows how you're going to attack, you can't do anything about it. He only has a few good moves to use in any given situation while other characters have twice as many, and he can't even tech chase or follow DI that well.

The only things that make Kirby unique is how hard he is to hit and his neutral B move.

cityondown114

Smash Rookie
i totally understand yet. and i do agree that every player MUST adapt. I just think that due to a lot of Kirby's weaknesses it makes it ahrder thats all. My comment was if you can be good at a lot of the players and master kirby...then you really truly understand the game.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
maybe you just haven't seen any amazing Kirbys.
I dunno, have you seen any amazing Kirbys lately Binx? ;)

-

It's true that Kirby must adapt more than practically any other character. When I play against Fox, my distancing and movements are much different than when I play against Marth, etc, etc. But not only do I have to adapt my fighting style to the character, I have to adapt to the player as well. Using a particular approach or movement pattern against one player might be inappropriate against the same character controlled by a different person, for instance.

Top Tier characters are fortunate that their usual approaches, tactics, and combos can be used similarly regardless of their opponent or opposing character. This makes Kirby fun to play, but also rather difficult.

Top Bottom