• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Throws

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Apologies if this shouldn't be its own thread! I feel like this deserves to be its own topic so it doesn't get lost in a single thread, as Kirby's throws are very important, but if I'm wrong, feel free to tell me I'm wrong and close this.

Anyway!

Kirby's throws (and his pummel too) are all very good tools for Kirby, as he can get many options out of all of them, and in some cases, even combos! I'll split each throw into different categories and will update them as time goes and more people discuss them. Now, then...

Pummel
Before moving on to Kirby's throws, I think discussing Kirby's pummel is important, as well. Kirby's pummel is very fast and surprisingly powerful. Aside from Kirby's angry face being very entertaining to watch, it's usefulness comes from it being a quick way to rack to up damage. Be sure to press the attack button once or twice after you grab to get that damage! More information is always appreciated.

Kirby's Throws

Up Throw
Kirby, grabbing his opponent, leaps upwards and then comes crashing down. The damage and knockback on this throw are quite good, giving Kirby a good K.O. option on stages with lower ceilings. In rage mode, this K.O.s drastically earlier, especially on stages with platforms, such as Battlefield. It's also a good throw to use if you need to get an opponent away and stall. More information is always appreciated.

Down Throw
Kirby rapidly steps on his opponent a few times and then does a powerful stomp (11 hits total). This is likely the least useful of Kirby's grabs, but it has its uses. While you can't follow it up due to its ending animation, it's a good option to get opponents away and maybe even offstage. If you're worried that some of your other throws might be staled, this is also a good option. On Smashville specifically you can use this throw at lower percentages to get your opponent above the moving platform and shark a little bit. More information is always appreciated.

Forward Throw
Kirby picks up the opponent, jumps, and slams them on the ground. At lower percentages, this move has extremely little knockback and gives Kirby plenty of combo opportunities. My favorite is to follow it up with a Forward Air or a Down Air (or Hup Cancel it and follow up after that!). What's especially fun about this throw, though, is the regrab potential - this only works on certain characters, but on said characters, Kirby can do this:
Grab -> Forward Throw -> Forward Air -> Dash Grab -> Forward Throw -> Final Cutter/Forward Air
or
Grab -> Forward Throw -> Forward Air -> Dash Grab -> Back Throw -> Back Air

At least one of the above combo works on R.O.B., Dedede, and Charizard.
I'm sure it works on more characters, but that's all I know. On certain characters (namely heavier ones or ones with slow air speed), you can use Final Cutter instead of Forward Air, too! More information is always appreciated.

Back Throw
Kirby picks up his opponent and hurls them backwards. As many Kirby players have discovered, on some characters, you can follow up your Back Throw with a Back Air. It's wonderful and will deal ~21%, which is insane damage as far as Kirby's concerned. Here is a thread showing all of the %s characters must be at in order for it to work. Aside from that, though, it's a great option to get opponents offstage for a gimp. More information is always appreciated.

Last edited:

FranktheKirby

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3823-8756-2059
Nice analysis of the Kirby's throws. I was completely unaware the is up throw had the potential to kill because I never really used it, lol. I tend to use Kirby's f-throw in the combo of dair>grab>pummel>f-throw>final cutter*/fair.

*I only do this if the character has a lower air speed or is heavy.

And speaking of heavy characters, do you know if Kirby's b-throw can combo into his bair when he's fighting them? I could have sworn that one Kirby player I fought on For Glory did this to me when I played as Charizard.

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Yes, I do believe I mentioned somewhere up there that Back Throw does combo into Back Air on some characters. I didn't know that Final Cutter was a viable option out of Forward Throw on some characters, though. That's very interesting. Thanks!

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Nice analysis of the Kirby's throws. I was completely unaware the is up throw had the potential to kill because I never really used it, lol. I tend to use Kirby's f-throw in the combo of dair>grab>pummel>f-throw>final cutter*/fair.

*I only do this if the character has a lower air speed or is heavy.

And speaking of heavy characters, do you know if Kirby's b-throw can combo into his bair when he's fighting them? I could have sworn that one Kirby player I fought on For Glory did this to me when I played as Charizard.
Kirby can have a guaranteed b-air on certain characters after a back-throw, it works most effectively on King DeDeDe, and go figure, Charizard. This also works well on Ness, Villager, and Diddy Kong.

When facing one of those five, f-throw to f-air - dash grab - b-throw + b-air works theoretically (gonna test soon).

EDIT: This combo works on any character who can be b-throw - b-aired above 15%, but is not guaranteed. I tested this on all 5, and only Ness and Villager couldn't shield before the f-air, but Villager could roll before you grab the 2nd time.

Last edited:

FranktheKirby

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3823-8756-2059
Yes, I do believe I mentioned somewhere up there that Back Throw does combo into Back Air on some characters. I didn't know that Final Cutter was a viable option out of Forward Throw on some characters, though. That's very interesting. Thanks!
Whoops. I meant to say do you know if it combos with heavier characters at higher percentages?

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Do we have any uses of Kirby's Down Throw? It takes too long to act out of, and I don't really have much info on it, aside from it looking very silly as it usually does.

Also it's good to know that Forward Throw -> Forward Air works similarly to Back Throw -> Back Air. I'm pretty sure Diddy Kong can get out of Forward Throw -> Forward Air, though. I guess depending on the matchup, Forward Throw is better than Back, and vice versa?

LaserLockOn

Smash Rookie
When I start running low on KO options for Kirby, I always love to spam the UpThrow just to get people into the air. I believe Kirby's grab game is very good, especially if you know how to do reads. Also keep in mind that all of Kirby's throws except DownThrow puts him in the air.
In order of usefulness I would say...

UpThrow is the most useful, though only during mid to high percents since it's the one that racks up the most damage of the grabs (10%) and has a greater knockback, KOs at very high percents. And the higher the opponent is, the easier it is to read where they will fall or what they will do next to make another grab or follow up. How high up they are limits their options.

BackThrow is second because of it's guarantee Bair on some fighters, and it also KOs off the edge of the screen sometimes. It's damage (8%) is the second highest. It's also useful for repositioning the opponent, or taking them offstage.

ForwardThrow, the third, is actually the most riskiest throw to use, if the opponent is smart. It has the most combo potential, like the combos you listed, and they can rack up good damage. The downside of using this is that some characters are able to DI the throw, before Kirby ever being able to connect with Fair, or shield it at low percentages. At mid percent, Fthrow to UpB won't work against airdodging as well.

DownThrow would be the least useful, it's really just not great to follow up with since it's endlag is way to long, and it's damage output is the least, up the 6%. I really don't think it's useful except for positioning :/

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Kirby is good at attacking from below. I do feel that the Up Throw is a bit underused, but it's definitely most useful at higher percentages.

I think Forward and Back Throw are about even - it really depends on the matchup. Some characters can't actually DI out of Forward Throw shenanigans.

Top Bottom