• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's match-ups?

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I'm curious about how Kirby does against other characters overall. Could someone post what are Kirby's best and worst match-ups that we know of now.

Please respond.

One in particular I wnat to know about are the spacies.

Sejita

Smash Cadet
I'm going to post from personal experience, not really any real evidence put into this.

To me, Kirby's worst matchups are (if you're playing an equally, or better skilled player):

Metaknight
Pit
Ike
Marth
Sonic
Fox
Falco
and if the player is good enough, Ganondorf

The first two can fly just as good as you, and it makes it really difficult to edgeguard against them. Kirby's style of of play requires you to get up close and personal with your opponent, which is pretty much a suicide note against a skilled Ike. Sonic is deadly fast, and is a huge pissoff, if you're playing a good one. Fox and Falco are pretty much the same as Sonic, if not worse. And Ganondorf is just a powerhouse, but most of the time you can outplay them if you're good enough.

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to post from personal experience, not really any real evidence put into this.

To me, Kirby's worst matchups are (if you're playing an equally, or better skilled player):

Metaknight
Pit
Ike
Marth
Sonic
Fox
Falco
and if the player is good enough, Ganondorf

The first two can fly just as good as you, and it makes it really difficult to edgeguard against them. Kirby's style of of play requires you to get up close and personal with your opponent, which is pretty much a suicide note against a skilled Ike. Sonic is deadly fast, and is a huge pissoff, if you're playing a good one. Fox and Falco are pretty much the same as Sonic, if not worse. And Ganondorf is just a powerhouse, but most of the time you can outplay them if you're good enough.
There's some really good Marth players, but overall I think Kirby does rather well on him. For one thing, it's really hard to tip Kirby since he's such a small target, he can easily Fence of Pain Marth off the stage and easily edge hog him since Marth's Up B is easy to avoid with the invincibility frames from edge grabbing. I do outplay a lot of people though so I'm not gonna comment too much.

If the player is good, Rob can be pretty annoying for Kirby since his Air game is also very good and can almost always get out of range from Kirby in the air unless he's getting back on stage from a lower elevation. His back air, down air, and neutral air can screw Kirby up a lot and his Down Smash has huge range/priority =/. Snake can be pretty hard cause he's rather hard to approach with all his freakin Gernades and C4/Claymore and his standard combo's/Forward tilt combo are extremely powerful with high priority and really good amount of damage and you'd probably have to play using gernades as well.

A lot of the bulkier characters are easy to combo with grabs, even at 40% like Bowser and you can keep them off balance.

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
His knockback mostly relies on whether he can Tip or get rather close to tipping (but the knockback for tipping is really insane since it can kill you at 50%, which I rarely come across for me =/=)., I usually end up surviving as high as 120% if they can't and he can't spam his forward air on you as easily since your small.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Hmmm.

So how does he fare against......Peach! In Melee, she was one of my personal harder match-ups.

And what are some good match-ups for Kirby (Melee's only good Kirby match-up was Kirby XD)

Sejita

Smash Cadet
That's still Kirby's only truly fair matchup. Everyone else has a good advantage of him, you just need to learn to make your weaknesses into strengths is all. I beat a peach a few times, but it was in an FFA, not 1 on 1.

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
That's still Kirby's only truly fair matchup. Everyone else has a good advantage of him, you just need to learn to make your weaknesses into strengths is all. I beat a peach a few times, but it was in an FFA, not 1 on 1.
Her down smash got under-powered drastically in this game and her forward smash isn't the most reliable thing for kills, niether is her forward B. Only moves I'd really watch out for is her Up smash and her forward aerial cause those are really the only 2 moves I can think of that would kill easily (her forward smash depends on what she takes out ><), everything else is just for damage >__<. Maybe her forward B, but it's rather slow. I think it kinda evens out cause Peaches air game is crazy damage/knockback with her forward air and she also has projectiles with her turnips and other tricks like turnip dashing lol.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
...Everyone else has a good advantage of him...
Whoa, whoa, this isn't Melee. Kirby's actually good now.

I can see how Meta Knight would be tough, but the spacies seem okay, really. Fox & Falco are just as light as Kirby now (T!mmy proved it), and all of the spacies have somewhat bad recovery, which means Kirby can take more punishment than them. And if they try to camp you can just take their ability and camp them back...

JJ259

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget you can also just crouch under Fox/Falco's B abilities. Probably the most annoying thing you can do to them in addition to the taunting noise that crouching makes.

JJ259

Smash Apprentice
I had trouble with camping toon link's until I just started doing the same thing by using his ability. Another main thing that was messing me up was his ability to almost instantly go from a run to Usmash because it has a really, really short prelag time. Toon link can be played either really campy or effectively as an up close type of character. From my experiences fighting him, try to push him into a position to where he can't camp and then just out melee him.

Top Bottom