• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirbys dash attack

Jackyl

Smash Rookie
Is anyone else aware it has invincibility frames after the attack? If it hits a shield you CANNOT grab or sos it. It goes right through him. I tested it. Is this intended?

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
How did you test this? if you just tried to pull off a shield grab on a dash attacking kirby and you got punished for it, dont jump to conclusions about invincibility, as there could be other explanations.

i can tell you for one that i know its a multi hit move. if the mutliple hits refresh quicker than 7 frames, then you will get hit before you are able to actually grab them. kirby doesnt have any frame data up though, so im not sure what the real case is. If you tested it with a reliable method, then maybe its true, but i guess it depends.

Jackyl

Smash Rookie
No like my friend and I tested it. After the move reaches its final hit and landed on my shield the grab went right through him. We tested multiple times

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Hmm. That's weird, doesn't explain how I get hit out of dash attack every time, out of the 5 times I ever used that move.

But honestly if it does it should be removed, DA is already crazy as it is.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
I think there needs to be a lot more testing than situational testing. Can someone from PMBR get on this? Can we actually conclude it's invincibility frames and not something else? Can we test that it's not just your friend wiffing grabs, or if it's just grab protection? Can we test with moves? What character was this against, and does it work with multiple? It is just your version of PM, or multiple versions? There's a lot of questions, but pointing it out will help because more people can test it

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
Not totally on topic, but you probably shouldn't try to punish this OoS anyways unless you have a decent and fast usmash/upB. I mostly go for dash away -> pivot grab and rarely fail at it. Another solid option is if you have a fast enough slightly disjointed move, you'll hit him first (if it's an aerial) or you'll clash with him (if it's a grounded move).

I would be pretty surprised if it has invincibility... there could be a glitch or something when it hits a shield though, you never know.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I find Dash Attack to be similar to Mewtwo's WOOP... if that makes sense. Its not broken, it can be punished, but its too braindead-ily safe.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I find Dash Attack to be similar to Mewtwo's WOOP... if that makes sense. Its not broken, it can be punished, but its too braindead-ily safe.
I agree with this. Because of how safe DA is, it makes playing Kirby pretty braindead... It's like, why approach in any way other than DA?
And if you're not doing that, you're going for a grab.
Or just being defensive as ****.

I kinda wish Kirby played more like he did in 64.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i was told by a playtester today that his dash attack actually has grab invincibility on it. like, if you start it up in range of a tether grab, kirby fires straight through it ;x

JRad

Smash Apprentice
Dash attack is really good, but I wouldn't call it brainless. A lot of characters can CC it and use a counter move that sets up their combos like Roy's dtilt. I am pretty sure you can pivot grab kirby right as he comes out of it at the right time and not get punished by anything kirby does afterwards. I use DA a fair amount and thats what I have noticed. The real trick with using DA is making sure you are in full dash attack range before using it, as in there should be no extra dash time on it that isn't used for the DA, otherwise you arent in range to use it imo. This is why you should still be using aerial approaches or spacing moves in between.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
Just to clarify, the dash attack has grab invincibility only. He can easily be hit out of it with disjoint hitboxes. This was discovered almost immediately after the 3.0 release.

Last edited:
Top Bottom