• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Best Movement Options

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
I don't think this topic has been discussed yet but if it has please link the thread.

Lately I feel like Kirby's movement options have become rather predictable. I mean obviously Kirby doesn't have the movement options of a Sonic or a Shiek but I feel like there are movement options that haven't been fully fleshed out and explored. personally I feel like MikeKirby moves really well and Izaw recently did a For Glory episode where he played a strong Kirby. But ultimately I'm proposing we fully discuss and explore Kirby's best movement options including AT such as Zaw dancing, perfect pivots and non corner dash pivots.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
HUP cancel dashing is fun. It isn't really that useful against faster characters, but against average/low movement speeds, it's cool.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
HUP cancel dashing is fun. It isn't really that useful against faster characters, but against average/low movement speeds, it's cool.
Can it be used practically though? I like hup canceling but would we be able to combine that with something like dash dancing or perfect pivoting for more of a mix up?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Can it be used practically though? I like hup canceling but would we be able to combine that with something like dash dancing or perfect pivoting for more of a mix up?
If you're continuously short hopping while fast falling into HUP cancel while at the same time dashing, you'll sacrifice a bit of your speed by making yourself much harder to hit. Kirby is already a small target - he squishes down during the jump start animation, squishes his body during the HUP cancel, squishes his body when landing with the HUP cancel, and is continuously moving while this is going on. While it isn't practical on a general basis, using it a mix-up is great. If your opponent tries to hit you and whiffs an attack because movement, you can instead use D-Air without fast falling to start a combo. If your opponent doesn't approach as they don't want to get hit, then you're controlling the neutral game temporarily. If your opponent tries to jump and bait a D-Air to shield, HUP cancel into grab.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
If you're continuously short hopping while fast falling into HUP cancel while at the same time dashing, you'll sacrifice a bit of your speed by making yourself much harder to hit. Kirby is already a small target - he squishes down during the jump start animation, squishes his body during the HUP cancel, squishes his body when landing with the HUP cancel, and is continuously moving while this is going on. While it isn't practical on a general basis, using it a mix-up is great. If your opponent tries to hit you and whiffs an attack because movement, you can instead use D-Air without fast falling to start a combo. If your opponent doesn't approach as they don't want to get hit, then you're controlling the neutral game temporarily. If your opponent tries to jump and bait a D-Air to shield, HUP cancel into grab.
Hup into grab sounds good. HUP into a pivot grab seems like it'd be useful too considering his hurtbox changes the entire time he's crouche. and a whiffed grab from your opponent gives you a more guaranteed punish. I never thought that Kirby had much of a choice to gain control of the neutral that way. I always assumed baiting into control was his best option.
I think a HUP cancel into corner dash pivot down tilt/smash is a good idea. I did some testing and Kirby can corner dash pivot into crouch which allows him to slide a short distance. The slide is maintained during the dtilt which allows for a greater mix up. And considering how viable Kirby's crouch is I think this is the next best thing to a crouch dash cancel.

Last edited:

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Is it possible to do non corner dash pivots on a 3ds? I recently picked up kirby but I do not quite have the funds to buy a wiiU
You should be able to but it might be difficult because you wouldn't have a c stick ( unless you got the new 3ds )

raizur

Smash Cadet
NNID
raizur
3DS FC
4425-1652-3596
shield dashing could work if you're looking for a fast way to move, but I'd go with using nair, fair, and bair to approach. Hup cancel, as mentioned above, is somewhat of a way to move around the stage. good for a mix up. Kirby has plenty of options!

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
shield dashing could work if you're looking for a fast way to move, but I'd go with using nair, fair, and bair to approach. Hup cancel, as mentioned above, is somewhat of a way to move around the stage. good for a mix up. Kirby has plenty of options!
Starting to realize how many options he has but now my question is what are yhe best ways to use his options in terms of movement to play an overall faster more fluid Kirby

Last edited:

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Hup Cancels are really, really good, as Reserved mentioned. It's a shame that his Down Air is so unsafe, because if it wasn't, then the mindgames Kirby would have with it would be so ridiculous.

When I want to approach, something I do sometimes is Dash -> Shield -> Crouch. If the opponent approaches, I can either throw out a Down Tilt or, in some matchups, crouch under their better approach options. If they don't approach, then that means I have the advantage in neutral, something that's hard to get otherwise with Kirby. It isn't always the best choice, especially against characters like Sonic that destroy the neutral game anyway, but against most characters it's a good option to use once in a while.

Using his aerials to cover his movement is a great idea. Or, to stop the opponent from moving, using retreating aerials is great. I'm almost positive all of them except maybe Down Air are safe on shield, but only when retreating.

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
While not exactly movement techniques, one thing that really works for me is actually baiting the approach. Using his multiple jumps, I can keep the opponent guessing when will I actually land. If they go for a dash grab or an attack, I punish with one of the dAir combos.

Some times I miss the dair, but I found that most of the time, Kirby's down tilt comes out faster than most attacks used to punish him, unless they perfect shield it.

Last edited:

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Hup Cancels are really, really good, as Reserved mentioned. It's a shame that his Down Air is so unsafe, because if it wasn't, then the mindgames Kirby would have with it would be so ridiculous.

When I want to approach, something I do sometimes is Dash -> Shield -> Crouch. If the opponent approaches, I can either throw out a Down Tilt or, in some matchups, crouch under their better approach options. If they don't approach, then that means I have the advantage in neutral, something that's hard to get otherwise with Kirby. It isn't always the best choice, especially against characters like Sonic that destroy the neutral game anyway, but against most characters it's a good option to use once in a while.

Using his aerials to cover his movement is a great idea. Or, to stop the opponent from moving, using retreating aerials is great. I'm almost positive all of them except maybe Down Air are safe on shield, but only when retreating.
Yeah I'm finding that approaching with reverse bairs and uairs work well as spacing tools. Personally I use a lot of dash ins and spot dodging and recently short hop uairs into up tilt strings

His dair is incredibly unsafe though. I feel like although its not the safest option reverse inhale is a good mix up for sonic players.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
While not exactly movement techniques, one thing that really works for me is actually baiting the approach. Using his multiple jumps, I can keep the opponent guessing when will I actually land. If they go for a dash grab or an attack, I punish with one of the dAir combos.

Some times I miss the dair, but I found that most of the time, Kirby's down tilt comes out faster than most attacks used to punish him, unless they perfect shield it.
Baiting an approach works but against opponents with strong uairs it becomes difficult to get back on the ground.

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
Baiting an approach works but against opponents with strong uairs it becomes difficult to get back on the ground.
I don't mean with full jumps. Just short hoping in place, waiting for them to make a move, or just rushing in with a surprise attack. I've tried it against Diddy, and a friend's Megaman (which I swear he'sone of the best MM I've ever seen).

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I don't think I have heard of HUP(does it involve his crouch because I think I MIGHT have seen a video on it or something, but didn't understand it.)
Anyways, If your opponent likes to SH a lot, you would be surprised how useful final cutter can be, just don't stand to close to the opponent.
I find myself using it a lot more then in brawl.
Other then that Bair, Fair, Nair, Dair(I actually even use the back part of Uair xD)
So yea his ariels are the best way mostly.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
I don't mean with full jumps. Just short hoping in place, waiting for them to make a move, or just rushing in with a surprise attack. I've tried it against Diddy, and a friend's Megaman (which I swear he'sone of the best MM I've ever seen).
Oh okay yeah SH is a much better option and when throwing in a hup cancel it can serve as a great mix up.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I have heard of HUP(does it involve his crouch because I think I MIGHT have seen a video on it or something, but didn't understand it.)
Anyways, If your opponent likes to SH a lot, you would be surprised how useful final cutter can be, just don't stand to close to the opponent.
I find myself using it a lot more then in brawl.
Other then that Bair, Fair, Nair, Dair(I actually even use the back part of Uair xD)
So yea his ariels are the best way mostly.
There should be threads on it but basically it's using Kirby's dair or nair so close to the ground that he says hUp. if you do it while you fall to the stage you can then trigger any other action as technically Kirby hasn't actually performed the moves yet.

LaserLockon shows a variation of it in his video here http://smashboards.com/threads/possible-kirby-tech-ledge-hup-cancel-discussion.389605/

raizur

Smash Cadet
NNID
raizur
3DS FC
4425-1652-3596
Yeah I'm finding that approaching with reverse bairs and uairs work well as spacing tools. Personally I use a lot of dash ins and spot dodging and recently short hop uairs into up tilt strings

His dair is incredibly unsafe though. I feel like although its not the safest option reverse inhale is a good mix up for sonic players.
Short hop> upair> uptilt strings is a very good option kirby has. Short hopping is really good for mind games too if you're looking for a way to move while trying to confuse your opponent at the same time. HUP cancel too. Kirby has movement for days, but if you're looking for something fast, HUP cancel or dashing could work. Though like what Reserved said, Kirby has a few options for movement, but some sacrifice the speed for him being harder it hit, which is a really good trade in my opinion.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Short hop> upair> uptilt strings is a very good option kirby has. Short hopping is really good for mind games too if you're looking for a way to move while trying to confuse your opponent at the same time. HUP cancel too. Kirby has movement for days, but if you're looking for something fast, HUP cancel or dashing could work. Though like what Reserved said, Kirby has a few options for movement, but some sacrifice the speed for him being harder it hit, which is a really good trade in my opinion.
I feel like retreating reverse ftilt is also a decent option as a miX up. It's not nearly as punishable as an fsmash and you can crouch/spot dodge if your reaction time is good enough/the situation works in your favor.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
I like to use multiple pivots. After the tilt/smash window ends you have have a new window before you're running where you can use almost anything (or go to standstill to do literally anything) I like to approach and space with sliding crouches.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
I like to use multiple pivots. After the tilt/smash window ends you have have a new window before you're running where you can use almost anything (or go to standstill to do literally anything) I like to approach and space with sliding crouches.
Multiple pivots back to back or pivot mix ups? it sounds cool but if it's not practical it doesn't seem like a great option.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I usually SH into a retreating f-air to keep my space, I dash dance (cuz why not?), and I like to SHFF n-air too.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
I usually SH into a retreating f-air to keep my space, I dash dance (cuz why not?), and I like to SHFF n-air too.
Those are good options. I'm finding that being flashy and throwing out a bunch of SH fairs to create space and then allowing them to come to you works fairly well. Kirby isnt the kind of character in my opinion who can command a much as assertively as a cpt. Falcon at first which is why it's important to let your opponent basically hand control over to you when they make mistakes

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
I think you should go with bait, however, i feel like out of a dash could also work. this one's a bit tricky, I'd say, practice both, and see which ones feels more natural to you.
The only viable way I can see this being applied strongly and working is complete control over movement as you don't want to accidentally dash attack and relinquish stage control on a fluke.

Top Bottom