• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby with items

CJR

Smash Rookie
I tend to have a lot of success with Kirby, even though he's bottom tier, mostly because of item usage. I know that in most tournies and serious games items are disabled, but they work well for Kirby.

Firstly, it gives extra moves comparable to stronger characters. Like Beam Sword and stuff. Secondly, the speed of Kirby means throwing items around can be very effective with practise.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or does no-one play with items here :)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Items prevent a faster character from out-maneuvering (aka spamming/camping) Kirby. They can also give him stronger/longer attacks, and better edge-guarding options (simply chucking something at someone off stage is much easier than jumping out and d-airing them).

I really like Kirby with the fan for combos, and parasol for the reach/recovery. Star Rod is also a favorite, of course. Too bad Kirby can suck up items and Star Shot them at opponents a la Kirby games (maybe in Brawl???).

He's still hindered because of his speed and the fact that other characters have some sort of advantage with Items (Cape, PK Magnet, Shine, etc), but he's much better off with Items on.

If I had got the "horizontal Swallowcide" video taped, I would have put it online for you guys to see. I used the Bunny Hood to dash and jump off the side of the stage as Shiek recovered and Swallowcided her off the side of the screen. It was hilarious.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
That is hilarious. Whenever Sheik dies, it's hilarious. I was playing OoT and Sheik got picked up and thrashed by the Shadow Beast in Kakariko Village...it was hilarious.

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
Everytime i got a throwable item, like Laser Sword or Star Rod or even Laser Gun, I try to fly over the opponent, then i throw the item down. If it hits, the item bounces and I can get it back in the air (Z), and if it doesnt hit, it bounces anyway, so in each case I can get the item back. Then I can use a jump and repeat.

I try to catch items in the air as much as I can, because if the item dont touch the floor, it cant disapear.

CJR

Smash Rookie
I do the throwing down thing too :) Except I'm not speedy enough to catch it again, hehe.

I throw most of the items I get at people. It's effective as a long-range barrage, and can be a good way to start an attack. By keeping the pressure on my opponents with long-range throws and short range jabs and pokes, I can increase their % and provoke them into a bad position, to get the KO :)

Top Bottom