• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby will be Un-nerfed. You can see it. (A Video Analysis)

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
Yes, Kirby does look stronger in the videos. Which is a good thing, since Sakurai promised a more balanced cast. And Kirby was horribly weak and unusable in Melee.

And I love the way he uses his Hammer midair. Better than juggling enemies around.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
say t!mmy, what do you mean by they can break the combo that would make it a worthless move?
it already is a worthless move. ;) You know how when you hit someone with the down swing (with Final Cutter/UpB) that they don't really go anywhere and can usually get out? Providing it as almost a "false" spike. Well if it was more like the first one (ssb64 UpB) than they can't just jump out at will and it can actually be used either to spike off the edge and/or to pull people down into the projectile.

Yes, Kirby does look stronger in the videos. Which is a good thing, since Sakurai promised a more balanced cast. And Kirby was horribly weak and unusable in Melee.

And I love the way he uses his Hammer midair. Better than juggling enemies around.
I think if the hammer was just like in melee but didn't make him rise or momentum change (more like the new Brawl air dodge) than it would've been an AMAZING move. But now it looks like it'll be good to. :ohwell:

Not that there's anything wrong with Kirby, but isn't he.... alittle too strong in the original?
Nah...they all kinda were in their own little ways.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Any character is good on the right hands, it just take longer for people that is not use to Kirby. You have to do more timing and be more careful, you can't make a single mistake or it will be hard on you.

Jimtopia

Smash Apprentice
That's a good point that Ice_Ninja makes; you could become slightly stronger/weaker depending on the difficulty of the game. But that is just a theory, plus I thought Sakurai said that the cast would be more balanced.

ZachSoup

BRoomer
BRoomer

Just from that 1 minute and 46 seconds worth of video, I can tell that Kirby is better. He seems more agile, it looks as though he's a bit heavier than the last game, his moves are faster, and he just seems better all around. But then again, this is just an analysis, and only time will tell how much better he is.

-Jimtopia

Um, it is true that Kirby definitely looks faster and stronger when comparing him to his melee form, but this game is not melee. It's new. Judging from all the videos I've watched, every character that had a serious lack in melee seems to be faster and more effective as well. Even characters like Peach seem to have more efficiency when it comes to the flow of moves. Yea Kirby appears to be stronger, but relatively speaking to the appearance of the other character's attributes, that doesn’t seem to mean that much. If anything it indicates a closer overall balance between the entire cast, which is something I think everyone is hoping for. Yet, I doubt this entails that Kirby will have his former greatness as he did in 64. I don’t they would make that mistake again.

Jimtopia

Smash Apprentice
Um, it is true that Kirby definitely looks faster and stronger when comparing him to his melee form, but this game is not melee. It's new. Judging from all the videos I've watched, every character that had a serious lack in melee seems to be faster and more effective as well. Even characters like Peach seem to have more efficiency when it comes to the flow of moves. Yea Kirby appears to be stronger, but relatively speaking to the appearance of the other character's attributes, that doesn’t seem to mean that much. If anything it indicates a closer overall balance between the entire cast, which is something I think everyone is hoping for. Yet, I doubt this entails that Kirby will have his former greatness as he did in 64. I don’t they would make that mistake again.
Honestly that's all I'm really hoping for, I don't want kirby to be super strong (I.E. SSB64) but obviously he needs a tune-up after how badly he was nerfed in Melee. I just want Kirby to have a chance to shine tier-wise, and to just be a fun character to play.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
If it was a mistake for Kirby to be strong in 64 then it was just as much a mistake for Fox to be strong in Melee.

But like Jimtopia said, all we really want is a fair balance. It's not fair that we get one of our favorite characters nerfed so badly that it's nearly impossible to win using Kirby or to even play as Kirby without getting laughed at for using such a "weak and wimpy character." I mean, I'm sure we've all found other characters to play as to make up for Kirby's suckiness in Melee (ICs for me), but why should we have to?

Honestly, as long as the characters are -fairly- balanced in Brawl, then I'll be a happy camper and I can start using my favorite puffball again (along with my other faves as well of course).

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Well to win with Kirby in Melee, you have to be a hard core Kirby player. Melee was too out of balanced, I hope that Brawl don't do the same mistake.

Ned

Smash Rookie
Well, yeah...

He looks way better now! Thank goodness Kirby can have some backbone this time around.

-NEOLINK-

Smash Journeyman
Yeah i just saw the vids of Kirby and i saw that a lot of Kirby's moves did get changed.
Running A: runs toward and spins on his head/hands
side-B or Fair: instead of the spinning hammer you hit with the hammer from side to side
Up-B: faster and more horizontal range at start
idk what else, but yeah Kirby does look much better.

Jimtopia

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i just saw the vids of Kirby and i saw that a lot of Kirby's moves did get changed.
Running A: runs toward and spins on his head/hands
side-B or Fair: instead of the spinning hammer you hit with the hammer from side to side
Up-B: faster and more horizontal range at start
idk what else, but yeah Kirby does look much better.
I just hope they don't change him too much, I don't want to have to completely re-learn my favorite puffball.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
He looks better overall in Brawl from the videos we've seen. Stone does look stronger and less laggy, my 2 big problems with that move. Also, Final Cutter looked like it spiked one of the cloud creatures and then pushed them out, just like it used to in SSB64. If this version of Final Cutter is back, I'm cure I won't be the only kirby fan who is thrilled! From what I've seen, he does looked buffed, but we can only wait and hope. He's still my main vet!! Kirby rules!

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
I was wondering, if kirby's running forward attack is the Break Spin from Superstar, think it will be possible to go straight from that into a grab? If so, that sounds like an interesting way to lead a ground combo for Kirby.

iLink

Smash Champion
I think you are over analyzing this. It might just seem like hes faster and such because of the new engine. You stated that he jumps further but all the characters can now because of the floaty-ness everyone has. And saying his attacks are stronger from watching the sse videos is a false statement because of how easily the enemies are knocked back.

There is no doubt that he has gotten a few buffs (unsure as to why people are saying un-nerf) but basing it off of that video really isn't enough.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
He seems A LOT stronger when he's fighting mario...

and his hammer in hte air has different animation and looks better as well...

Synth_Guru

Smash Rookie
He better be nerfed or m. knight is going to kick his round pink butt, so hopefully they did something with him...i like kirby, but if they don't do anything with him then i doubt i'll play him.

bobwaffles

Smash Apprentice
I can't see too much of what's going on during the Jump Festa video. Are there any Kirby impressions on Japanese Brawl sites yet?

§leepy God

Smash Master
It is very hard to see that video (WTH IS WITH ALL THE JAPANESE TEXT) but you can certainly tell that his /\B is a LOT faster.
I think they did that on purpose so we can't see Kirby's awesomeness. But all is better with Kirby except his Up Air, but I don't use that a lot though.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
It is very hard to see that video (WTH IS WITH ALL THE JAPANESE TEXT) but you can certainly tell that his /\B is a LOT faster.
The release and spike and projectile are all very impressive. Better than the 64 verison for sure! The projectile doesn't just tap through characters, it LAUNCHES them :laugh:

I found a jump festa video and posted it on youtube... Kirby's rock drop has been way improved... heres the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WdNMNFrf8M
Again, it releases and falls faster.
The best part about the new rock is how fast he recovers from it. There is no pause where those little blocks float around him. 0 lag almost! :chuckle:

I think they did that on purpose so we can't see Kirby's awesomeness. But all is better with Kirby except his Up Air, but I don't use that a lot though.
Then use it more :p
Cause if they're buffing him and that move gets buffed along with the rest of him (which I doubt cause it was actually good) then it will be as feared as the knee!

The best part about the Kirby I'm anticipating...is the ability in which he had next to none of in melee...comboing :urg:

courte

Smash Lord
at first kirby's dash attack looked like the basic trip from smash 64, but now i'm hearing its the breakdance spin, the tried and true yoyo attack from kirby superstar SWEET!!, also the concept of captain kirby and pikirbymen confuses me

Jimtopia

Smash Apprentice
at first kirby's dash attack looked like the basic trip from smash 64, but now i'm hearing its the breakdance spin, the tried and true yoyo attack from kirby superstar SWEET!!, also the concept of captain kirby and pikirbymen confuses me
Captain Kirbyman? Like Olimar? lol I think I have an idea what that may look like.

Picture By: Hextupleyoudot

(NOT ME!! I take no credit for this, I just found it)

Demoyoshi

Smash Cadet
All the characters have buffed Aerial game, which means kirby is way more bettre now.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I haven't seen the Breakdance Spin yet....but I'm looking forward to it; Yo-yo is one of the best abilities. (It would be sweet if they put the Upwards top attack in)

Yes, I think it's a good day for Kirby fans. Sakurai being in charge of SSBB, the Creator of Kirby, is proof enough Kirby will get buffed lol. Including the menu's (Air Ride-style) and the items and important role in the Subspace emissary.

So far, all of his attacks look different. The Final Cutter seems to hit once before it actually knocks them in the air, and is much faster and has more priority (Just what it needed thank god) And also the wave it sends out seams to have more knockback. Plus the Stone got a big upgrade, being stronger and faster to execute/stop. The Hammer looks the same, but obviously the animation is changed. Swallow actually looks slower to me... but I'm sure there's some hidden reason for this...

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I haven't seen the Breakdance Spin yet....but I'm looking forward to it; Yo-yo is one of the best abilities. (It would be sweet if they put the Upwards top attack in)

Yes, I think it's a good day for Kirby fans. Sakurai being in charge of SSBB, the Creator of Kirby, is proof enough Kirby will get buffed lol. Including the menu's (Air Ride-style) and the items and important role in the Subspace emissary.

So far, all of his attacks look different. The Final Cutter seems to hit once before it actually knocks them in the air, and is much faster and has more priority (Just what it needed thank god) And also the wave it sends out seams to have more knockback. Plus the Stone got a big upgrade, being stronger and faster to execute/stop. The Hammer looks the same, but obviously the animation is changed. Swallow actually looks slower to me... but I'm sure there's some hidden reason for this... *cough*limit swallowcides*cough*

Btw Jim where'd you find that picture? lol

Edit: Ugh....sorry, double post by accident (It's storming around here now ^^; ) Delete my post

Jimtopia

Smash Apprentice
Swallow actually looks slower to me... but I'm sure there's some hidden reason for this...
Actually there is a reason for it! They confirmed at JumpFesta that Kirby can now suck in certain items, cool eh?

Top Bottom