• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Wavedashing Combos: (hacked)

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
So, im sure many of you have seen the hacked brawl with wavedashing. When i saw kirby doing it i thought, WOW COMBOS! So id like to know if anyone has experimented with this and come up with any new combos implementing wavedashing?

This by no means is to be a discusion on whether a hacked version of brawl should be tournament viable but merely a thread to list all the hacked kirby information for friendlies.

Feel free to list all you know :)

Some cool kirby tricks:
WD>Dtilt is a beast of an approach, especially against taller characters such as Ganondorf who already have a hard time hitting the little puffball. You can also combo this into almost anything after the trip :)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I don't understand how adding wavedashing leads to combos o_o

I can understand how adding hitstun can, but well, I never learned about wavedashing until brawl had been out for 3 months, so yeah, I wasn't too knowledgable on things in Melee.

My friend just said the official Melee tier list has been revised, and Kirby is second from bottom (right about Pichu). I still don't see how :[

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Kirby can move much faster and you can wavedash into f-tilt or smash attack or whatever else. Also, the big reason is that since this is the melee airdodge system, you can only airdodge once before goin into helpless state. So with increased speed and the inability to airdodge everything i figure that it must lead to new combos.

For instance, i believe a short hopped arrow by link can now be comboed into something else because Link can get to his opponent much faster

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I was gonna ask for a video showing Kirby's wavedash, since I've only seen Luigi's (broken as hell)
but I just found one that was uploaded 3 hours ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhG0KdlAwqo

It's amazing how much this hack alone changes the game, though items kinda screwed it up. And because it's against a computer player, but it's a good show of what Kirby's wavedash looks like.

I still contend that wavedashing was a glitch, whatever the developers say.

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
Fthrow > Wavedash > Upsmash? lol
I haven't used this hack yet, but i'm planning some nice things xD

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
kirby's wavedash is actually longer now and last a little more than in melee. kirby can pull some insane combos with it and with the ground combos he already has, it'll be even more devastating! retro combo anyone?

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Another big thing for kirby, WOP!!!!! It's full of win, also, its much easier to kirbycide when thier only option is dodge and die, try to attack and get sucked up, or just face the truth and get in his belly.

Fthrow > Wavedash > Upsmash? lol
I haven't used this hack yet, but i'm planning some nice things xD
Get to work on it :) Any combos found ill add to the original post. Hopefully we'll find some cool things for kirby for some friendlies.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
I was gonna ask for a video showing Kirby's wavedash, since I've only seen Luigi's (broken as hell)
A wavedash isn't broken just because it's long -.- . The entire point of a wavedash is to be used as a spacing tool and a method of ground movement that increases the characters options. Long wavedash =/= broken wavedash...

Second, I would like to add that this isn't a hacked copy of Brawl. You are adding a channel to your Wii that overrides game mechanics; you aren't physically changing the code.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Eh, he can attack from super far away, really quickly.

I played some Melee today ^_^ Kirby isn't so good, but I have trouble believing he's the second worst character in the game. His upair is an amazing ko move in that game ;)

I keep forgetting to wavedash and L cancel :[

It was nice though, I noticed that I was barely using my shield in Melee. So unlike Brawl :'( just shield and punish everything your opponent does in Brawl if you want an easy win...won't work like that in Melee.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
OK. I went into a long list before of why Kirby is the worst character in Melee (although it has been decided that Pichu is now the worse), and if you are not shield grabbing alot with Kirby in Melee, then you are clearly playing him wrong. Kirby's entire game revolved around grabbing/ shieldgrabbing, f air/ bair, and dtilting to do damage (with the occassional uptilt comboes). For KOing it was usually f tilt/ fair/ bair/uair (usually after an uptilt on fastfallers), or gimping with dair/dtilt/dmsash/bair. If you were really good, then maybe you might get a a few upsmash kills, or a few ground hammer kills. You also might get the occasional kirbycides.

Reasons why he was so bad.
1. Terrible aerial control.
2. slow running speed
3. Low KO power compared to rest of characters (his powerful KO moves were also ridiculously hard to hit with because of really tiny sweetspots)
4. No aerial defense because of no aerial control, fall speed, no aerial attacks that were fast enough or with good enough priority to save him before he gets hit, only one aerial dodge which doesn't help because characters could attack twice before kirby could land and attack.
5. Light weight + he gets comboed very very easily because of hit stun, and no aerial defense= very easy character to KO.
6. Low range, priority, with stupid small sweetspots on several moves
7. No combo potential except for maybe uptilt comboes, d throw tech chase, and bair WOP if you were really good.
8. Too many moves had very small sweetspots or were just too slow/laggy
9. Opponent could get out of f and b throw whereas NO ONE else in the game you could get out of their grabs midthrow
10. Kirby loses ALL his jumps in any throw which means if you get hit out of any throw you are going to die.
11. His recovery move was way too slow and didn't spike, which means opponents could just recover before the move ends and punish you.
12. I almost forgot. Certain matchups were so one sided it was absolutely impossible to win if the opponent was a really good player. The matches that were the worse was Mario, Fox, Dr. Mario, Samus, Ganondorf. Then Matches that were nearly impossible but doable was like Jigglypuff, Peach (crouchcancel against Peach once and consider the match lost. It was difficult cause Kirby needed his d tilt), Falco (well he isn't that bad, but for every mistake you make you have to receive like 50-60 percent), then maybe Marth although it is the same situation as Falco.

I might be missing things but yea this should give you an idea.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Wow, sounds like you know your stuff :O

I played Kirby almost exclusively in Melee, so I never knew much about the game. I never knew about wavedashing, L cancel, or "combos" since as you said, Kirby doesn't really have combo potential. Probably partly because of his slow speed. I only played computers, since I had nobody else to play with, but I always thought Kirby was overpowered because I owned them :laugh:

Though I could definitely tell he wasn't the god he was in N64.
9. Opponent could get out of f and b throw whereas NO ONE else in the game you could get out of their grabs midthrow
I noticed that. It makes no sense. Level 9 computers escape these throws 99% of the time. And dthrow doesn't combo like it does in Brawl, in fact, YOU are more likely to get hit after you dthrow. Depending on the character. Upthrow seemed to be the only decent one.
10. Kirby loses ALL his jumps in any throw which means if you get hit out of any throw you are going to die.
huh?

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
When you do an up throw, a forward throw and a back throw, do you notice how Kirby's animation actually gets off the ground. If you were to be hit out of that animation you will have NO extra jumps after, it takes away all five "double jumps." Also, AFTER the upthrow you are still in the air, and during that time you have none of your five "double jumps," so you have to land before you can jump again thus making you unable to combo, and if you were to be hit off the stage, then you would probably die without the five jumps.

Wavekirby

Smash Journeyman
What I've found to be a good approach is WDing into a vulcan jab (standard "A" combo). It works really well and opens up opportunities for "follow-up" attacks.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Nice to see some1 make a thread here about hacked Brawl. I see some interesting things coming from Kirby's F-throw :)

And yes, Melee Kirby was trash. IMO he WAS the worst (Pichu at least had his juggling U-air and a chain grab on Fast Fallers).

metaXzero

Smash Champion
DP sorry.
I still contend that wavedashing was a glitch, whatever the developers say.
Why would the developers lie?

Anyway, even without the interview, Wavedashing ISN'T a glitch. It's a physics exploit. The slide is the same as when a character is slammed into the ground at an angle in ANY Smash game.

The fact that the slide can STILL be caused in Brawl by hacking in Melee's airdodge should be further proof that Wavedashing isn't a glitch.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
can some 1 tell me what the newest wavedash code is? (the one that works with ROB and ike)

Top Bottom