• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby vs Yoshi MU. Thoughts?

dg-pilz-e

Smash Cadet
I play a friend who is a Yoshi main. It's kind of iffy but he usually beats me, I find it a little hard because of the super armor he has, I usually try to force him in the air and if he gets to aggressive then I try to B-air him off the stage into a edge guard situation but sometimes I can't break through the super armor and he just wrecks me. What are your thoughts on this match up?

Random23

Smash Cadet
Bair generally won't hit through his recovery until high % because of the way it works. Hammer instead might be a useful option to hit him out of the double jump. Overall I think this MU is pretty even, but kirby should win it. You need to respect Yoshi's tools.

dg-pilz-e

Smash Cadet
Bair generally won't hit through his recovery until high % because of the way it works. Hammer instead might be a useful option to hit him out of the double jump. Overall I think this MU is pretty even, but kirby should win it. You need to respect Yoshi's tools.
I'll have to try using the hammer then! I usually opt out of it because if i miss I could be in trouble.
I think i'm just too aggressive, I played him today and i stayed a little more collected and baited him a lot more and it seemed to work out.

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
inhale goes through jump armour and he loses his jump as long as you don't spit him out. also footstooling him works well I hear

dg-pilz-e

Smash Cadet
inhale goes through jump armour and he loses his jump as long as you don't spit him out. also footstooling him works well I hear
Footstooling I actually never thought of I'll have to try that.

That really only works if hes lower to the stage though, If he's above the stage he can egg roll and/or use his air dodge ( Pretty sure he can do both but not 100% sure I never pay attention to that)

How do you guys approach him? i find aerials get punished easily due to parry so I try to use an inhale to shoot him closer to the ledge or i try and bait then try and punish. I find that I approach in similar ways too often and I can get read. New ideas would be appreciated.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Empty hop or do late aerials if you keep losing to his shield, you can do anything quick before he can grab/DJC Nair or whatever. Close the distance between the two while staying safe, approaching doesnt always necessarily mean coming in with a hitbox attached to you. Throw in some PPMD Falco-esc dash dances. If he is in shield or you think he will be in shield dont attack and see what he does, but pressure him with other things like movement. Just remember to mix it up.

Here is a good example of what PPMD's Falco movement looks like. Since Falco's and Kirby's run speed is always equal, the general idea can be applied to PM Kirby as well, just disregard the lasers.

http://fat.gfycat.com/EarlySimpleGyrfalcon.webm

Last edited:

Mizter Ultimaman

Smash Cadet
Throw Yoshi over the edge. Yoshi double jumps. You footstool.

Throw Yoshi over the edge. Yoshi tries to do a rising aerial. You dair.

Inhale Yoshi and jump over the edge. Spit Yoshi underneath the stage (works on Dreamland, Smashville, and any stage where Yoshi can't "ride the wall" while still being able to grab the edge).

On any stage where a platform (or you) are being moved (such as Whispy on Dreamland, the moving platform on Smashville) perform upthrow. If you set it up such that you are facing toward centre stage while the landing point gets moved, you land in the air, slightly underneath the stage. Yoshi will get stage spiked. It's hard to explain.

If this is true, then if you inhale Yoshi, and are facing toward the edge, you've already taken the stock. (Yoshi gets timed out eventually, gets auto-removed from Kirby's mouth at a downward angle, and has no means of recovering).

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
Throw Yoshi over the edge. Yoshi double jumps. You footstool.

Throw Yoshi over the edge. Yoshi tries to do a rising aerial. You dair.

Inhale Yoshi and jump over the edge. Spit Yoshi underneath the stage (works on Dreamland, Smashville, and any stage where Yoshi can't "ride the wall" while still being able to grab the edge).

On any stage where a platform (or you) are being moved (such as Whispy on Dreamland, the moving platform on Smashville) perform upthrow. If you set it up such that you are facing toward centre stage while the landing point gets moved, you land in the air, slightly underneath the stage. Yoshi will get stage spiked. It's hard to explain.

If this is true, then if you inhale Yoshi, and are facing toward the edge, you've already taken the stock. (Yoshi gets timed out eventually, gets auto-removed from Kirby's mouth at a downward angle, and has no means of recovering).
yoshi can always save his jump tho. also a lot of the stuff is easier said than done since yoshi can mix up his recovery a lot. also don't forget egg roll too. bair beats it tho I think. also how well does kirby punish yoshi? yoshi punishes really hard in pm. lastly what shield pressure options do we have against yoshi; nair oos hurts lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom