• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby vs Sword characters

TheCasualGamer

Smash Rookie
We all know Kirby struggles against sword users. Come here and help to find ways around them. Here, I'll start. Going to town and City is great. Go for tons of up throws to top platform. Then try to juggles. Especially since sword users are usually fast fallers. Thanks. Help give your tips.

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
Personally I wouldn't put myself through the pain of Kirby vs a Sword fighter (hence why I secondary R.O.B. & MK) but if I were to, I'd recommend playing extremely defensive. Kirby struggles with approaching to begin with, so make sure you don't force anything. Know you grab combos for the sword fighters, i.e back throw>back air works on big characters and most middle-heavyweights at 0% and if done correctly starts you off with 22% on the opponent (this combo usually won't work after 4% :/ ). If you get nice grab follow ups then you can get momentum against them, but just wait for the right time to attack. Afterwards try to get them off stage in any way you can and use Kirby's outstanding edgeguarding to finish the stock. Smash attacks are a risky option if the sword fighter has a counter (which most do).

Last edited:

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
How would Kirby do against Cloud, mostly in the edge guarding department because he has so many jumps?
Kirby does awful against him, he can't approach him safely and if you stall/play defensive cloud has his projectile and can charge his limit while you wait

TimG57867

Smash Ace
A few things:

1. In my experience, well-timed use of Final Cutter can get you some space and momentum against sword characters. I know it sounds strange for me to recommend using such a jank move, but I've found that used correctly and mixed up well, it can catch the opponent off guard and give you stage control. Just don't overuse it.
  2. Try to recover high when you can. I know it may seem like a bad idea to go above the stage where they don't have to drop down, but when recovering I tend to have better luck air dodging through their aerials while recovering on level with or higher than the ledge or spacing Final Cutter from high up. (The former works well on platform stages). Having to use Final Cutter from down low can be an invite for a ranged spike among other things.
  3. When edge-guarding, B-Air is often your best bet. F-Air just isn't enough and D-Air will often lose to their recovery moves although it can work. You just have to get out there before they get too close to the ledge. Keep in mind though that if miss you forfeit stage control and potentially set yourself up to be counter-gimped. Use good judgment.
  4. On top of this, use your tilts a lot. They'll often trade with the disjoints provided they aren't transcendent.

Also if Cloud's giving you a headache, try watching this:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
It depends who I'm up against for sword fighters. Here's my personal thoughts with who I use against sword fighters:
Marth: :4megaman:
Link: :4megaman: or :4sonic:
Toon Link: :4megaman:
Cloud: :4megaman: or :4sonic:
Ike: :4kirby: or :4megaman:
Lucina: :4kirby: (This one isn't as bad as Marth but has potential for trouble)
Corrin: :4sonic: or :4megaman:
Pits: :4kirby: or anyone I use.
Roy: :4kirby: or anyone I use.
Shulk: :4kirby: or :4megaman:
Robin: :4megaman: or :4sonic:

Last edited:

brady_boy_26

Smash Cadet
Kirby struggles very much against characters that can keep him out sword characters included and emphasized

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I dunno, I'm of the opposite party where I think Kirby does okay vs. sword characters whose name isn't Cloud, mostly because the swordies in this game have weaker frame data in this game than previous entries, which Kirby can take advantage by using his decent OoS options and frame data, along with his strong punish game on alot of them (they generally have big bodies or fast-fall speeds that make them weak to the worst of Kirby's combos). It's mostly about playing the shield game well and not being predictable about how you drop shield. Play patiently, powershield alot (but not predictably), and Kirby should do alright. As for Cloud....pick a different character. lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom