• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby VS Rosalina & Luma

TheKingOfThings

Smash Rookie
Lately I've been "maining" Kirby. I use brackets because I am constantly switching, but Kirby seems to have a great variety of what I like in a character. Anyways, I've always had trouble against Rosalina (except when I play Olimar), but I'm really having trouble cracking through Luma with the pink puff-ball. One of my biggest problems is getting close, but I also have trouble wracking combos once I do get in there because her attacks come out fast. I am generally quite good at bating my opponents but even then Luma always seems to come to the rescue. Any and all advice would help. I figured this might help some other people too.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I wish I could help, but Rosalina is extremely good and I'm not too good against her either. One of Kirby's biggest strengths is his grab game, but Luma punishes you every time you get a grab (because that's totally fair). The easiest way I can think of to get rid of Luma is to Fsmash her. Even if she shields, Luma will go flying... but then she'll punish with a grab or some other move because smashes aren't safe on shield. Once Luma's separated, you can try to juggle her, but you have to be careful because she's EXTREMELY floaty and has pretty good air mobility. Her attacks are mostly disjointed so they'll beat yours, but you should be able to hit her after she misses an attack. If she's above you, she will basically always Dair, which you will lose to if you try to trade, but you can avoid it and then hit her with an upair or something, try to keep her in the air.
If you get her offstage, her recovery is pretty easy to gimp with dair/bair, but I have trouble with it because of her floatiness. She falls so slow that she can stall a long time with just her double jump, and you have to predict when she'll actually use her upB.

TheKingOfThings

Smash Rookie
That's still good advice and I appreciate it. Since posting this I've come in contact with a few good Rosalina fighters and I've read up on some stuff too. I've noticed that Kirby is really good at knocking Luma out of the way, which everyone knows is the best way to get at Rosalina. So I've started using the kind of "jump around and bait" tactic that Kirby would normally use on the opponent, except I'll do it to Luma. It ends up creating pressure for Rosalina to do something, which is good, but if you end up knocking Luma out (or away) than it's especially advantageous. Luma doesn't stay away for long but Rosalina will usually get twitchy when she needs to wait for the respawn and this is the best chance to get at her or bait her into attacking. Fighting Rosalina & Luma is a long battle, but knocking Luma out will help put her on even terms. I hope this helps people a bit.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ Things to note on the Rosalina match up is to get rid of Luma ASAP and get her power, Kirby's Luma Shot can easily knock Rosalina's Luma off the stage. Also Kirby's Luma Shot can interrupt some of Rosalina's options, (she can't even Gravitational Pull it), however without grabbing her power, this match up can be difficult. For starters, do not, I repeat DO NOT get above, or below her as U-Tilt, N-Air, U-Air and D-Air has stupid range and are descent moves to spam. As mention before, Luma is what make this match up hard, your grabs is reduced to D-Throw and B-Throw, your approach options are limited to tilts and F-Air, (B-Air and D-Air is too risky but you can try it if your confident your opponent won't perfect shield). Fortunately Kirby's small hit box is what makes avoiding her attacks easier, (another thing to note is D-Tilt can parry her F-Smash, lol), and Kirby's ground game is a better option, (sigh), so this match up is to be played defensively until you see an opening, like playing chess.

LittleKirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9780-8721
It might be bad rosalina players I've ran into, but I found the best way is to wait for rosalima to simply wait for her to throw out her luma at you. Then you can combo it so easily with kirby its not funny

For example:
Rosalina tries using luma shot, so you uptilt several times and fsmash it off the ledge. Then go in to kill rosalina.

Remember, luma can't shield one bit, so a simple dash attack will rack up damage on it and send it flying helplessly, hopefully off the edge.

Last edited:

TheKingOfThings

Smash Rookie
Very good advice from everyone. This definitely helps and I hope other Kirby users get something out of this. I was considering going to the Rosalina forum and asking the same question butI doubted they would know the answers like a real Kirby player

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I played another Rosalina today, I might upload matches. He has a pretty good record on Anther's ladder.
Rolls and Fsmash are annoying. Luma is simply broken when next to Rosalina because he can punish you for grabbing her, or not hitting her JUST right.
If she sends Luma towards you, beat the crap out of it. She shouldn't be doing this.
If you have her power, charge it as she has to land on stage. Since airdodges create landing lag, it's a ridiculously good frametrap. With the right timing it should always hit, and of course it always hits her Luma no matter what.
When she's recovering, wait for her to use her double jump and aerial to cover herself (they usually do this, and it takes FOREVER because she's so floaty, so be patient) and then try to gimp her upB with a Dair or Bair, or even Stone if you can predict the exact timing and placing.
Most of her aerials beat yours, but they have reasonable endlag so dodge and punish. Notably dair and upair, Rosalinas are pretty predictable with these, because they don't have any other good options when above/below you, besides maybe Nair.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'd like to say that, even without Luma, Rosalina is incredibly hard to approach on and hit. She can easily stall out the Luma timer, too.

Luma should be in hit-stun while Rosalina is, and shouldn't be allowed to attack while she's grabbed or something. I mean, how is Rosalina controlling the Luma's with her wand if she's in the middle of being thrown? What the heck?

Oh, and using Custom Moves, she can switch out Star Bits with a true projectile that flies forward, that Kirby can't avoid by hitting.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I don't know man. Rosy is too strong overall. Her Luma can attack during her hitstun. It is kind of ridiculous. I remember facing this one guy in FG. He wasn't very good. I can destroy his other characters no problem but when he went back to Rosy... man it was frustrating. I decide to switch to White Kirby and experiment what I can and cannot do.

-Luma Shot can be ducked and stopped by Final Cutter.
-We can duck her Grab and Dash Grab. I don't know what to do with her Dash Attack. With Luma she can perform a Boost Grab (where she dash attack with Luma then Grab - this move can also pick up grounded foes)
-All her aerial moves have big disjointed hitboxes but have long lag after the moves. So bait the attack and punish afterwards.
-Try to get her power. Most Rosy don't know that they cannot absorb our luma shot. If you manage to hit her with a full charged shot at 100%, she will die.

I don't know what else to say other than she is a pain in the rear to deal with.

TheKingOfThings

Smash Rookie
Tested it, you can definitely duck right under some of her most annoying moves. I've started baiting her in the air with short hop fast falls too, then ducking when i hit the ground. This way they make an attack and I can punish when it misses me. Luckily Kirby is the smallest character in the game when ducking so it really makes it hard to hit when he's that low - it really just comes down to how well we time our ducks and if they take the bait. But seriously, all the information here definitely makes it easier. I didn't expect this post to have such good information. Getting Luma out of the way is actually very easy with the pink puff ball! The battle against these two beasts is all about patience. I've started treating it like when I play Ganondorf - play slow, be careful, counter moves instead of making your own, be patient, only attack when I know I can hit, and don't get greedy with your combos aka know when your run is over and to fall back.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that your copied Luma Shot literally beats out every attack Rosalina has and will not stop for anything in its way. It will even go straight through her own Luma Shot if need be.
So many times I've seen Rosalinas hide behind their Luma thinking they could jump in for a KO after it died and have it back shortly after I've respawned. They died instead. Every single time.

Last edited:

KappnJack

Smash Rookie
NNID
JSHCamisado
3DS FC
3024-5658-3247
Similar to what everyone is saying. The best strategy I have found with Rosalina & Luma is target Luma - especially if you get a chance to punish on a bad Luma Shot. If the two end up separated and you have the time and space, lay into Luma. After that, do your best to predict the dash A and try and bring in your throws then. Aerial game against her can be quite tricky too. Rosalina & Luma are really powerful - so honestly, I'm yet to find a convincing way to beat them when they're in the hands of a good player.

SSJ Kirby

Smash Apprentice
Lately I've just been rolling/side stepping past Luma and layin' down the Kirbs's full throttle grab game. I agree that getting below her is a pretty bad idea, but I can't count the number of stupid players that fell for the old down-b trick. Another good one is segwaying a side-b in after a short hop; they never expect it.

Top Bottom