• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Kirby Main) Need advice, having trouble against Dedede's.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
As a Kirby main, I'm really not sure what to do against a Dedede. I try to space myself but I get grabbed, sometimes even out of the air., or I get out ranged by Dedede's on the ground or in the air trying to go for combos. Gordos are the least of my problems. Also I find myself getting killed before I can get enough damage on him to KO him.

I was playing online earlier and this guy kept counter picking me with Yoshi and Dedede, I felt overwhelmed, eventually the guy started taunting me repeatedly.

A lot of match ups with Kirby are feeling really uphill to me. I'm feeling depressed and discouraged and need some tips.
I was told it was a favorable match up for Kirby, but I'm really doubting that. It feels kind of weird coming to the Dedede forums to ask for advice on this match up.

Also, just throwing this out there to you dedede mains, who do you all consider to have the advantage in this match up?

Last edited:

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Honestly hard to say. Haven't met any solid Kirby players yet.

Bold educated guesses coming through :

Both characters have terrible air apeed, but Dedede's aerials have better range/are disjointed. I feel it's one of the few matchups where we win the air game. And even though our gordos can get reflected, Kirby doesn't have much itself to camp or approach effectively.

Kirby is however faster on the ground, and due to our large size/fast fall speed, he probably has an easy time comboing us.Also his floatiness makes our grab game less effective. We kill him early, however.

As for the matchup itself, I feel Kirby's plan would be to combo us off stage and "gimp" us. Dthrow into fairs seems like an effective way to do that.

The matchup is probably even at worst for TripleD.

Camopon

Smash Rookie
I have a feeling I was this Yoshi/Dedede :[

Did he start out as Palutena?

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Yeah it was you, I believe, If you're from canada, I think that's what the profile said anyway? I was disappointed when you left because I don't usually get good fights like that, and you can't add people from for glory.

Anyway, you started out with Charizard on Prism tower.

I loved those matches by the way, as frustrated as I got. The connection was great, and I got to fight characters I never really get to deal with. Also thanks for sticking around instead of leaving immediately when you started destroying me. Sorry my Kirby wasn't that great!

Last edited:

Camopon

Smash Rookie
Sorry about the taunting. Playing Dedede.... does things to you. That crouch.

I feel guilty about sticking to D3 so much, but my Palutena and Yoshi were wrecked by Kirbycide.

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
No worries! Like I said, I still had a great time. I'm actually pretty happy you came forward. I thought you were pretty great. I'll send you a PM.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
After I had someone taunt a lot against me I pretty much stopped taunting altogether (In the middle of the match, that is. After you win its fine imo). It's pretty frustrating for the other player, and a tad unsportsmanshiplike, even though Dedede's crouch makes it so so tempting. I guess you need to be on the other side to finally realise how frustrating it is.

Nice to see there's another Palutena/Dedede player though.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Yeah it can be a bit frustrating! I've tried taking a more defensive approach to taking on Dedede, but it still feel like an uphill battle to me, especially in lag. That Up throw into fair seemed interesting, I was surprised the combo even worked since we don't get comboes out of throws too well in smash 4. Still. Dedede was able to get away, without DI, because the third hit of Kirby's Fair knocks enemies away. Dedede seems like he has strong defensive play? I have tried using him, but he doesn't click with me.

Top Bottom