• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby in Brawl: Potential or Pain?

Sterowent

Smash Ace
As i lurked about, checking out the Brawl General, i came upon a topic that put fear in my heart and yet challenged me to gander.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=153322

(specific post links at bottom of OP)

While the topic itself had merit, Card seemed to begin the end, or, at least, the finality of a chapter in the topic's log. I'd almost let go of it, as things began to lightly deteriorate as they do, only to find more interesting in depth and bothersome possible truths in Cactuar's post.

And, as i came to realization of what it meant, i'd also kept in mind what my oh-so-favorite Kirby was. A Lightweight. In a maybe system that requires you to slug it out with an opponent that will most certainly get some licks in as well.

If this seemingly unavoidable damage happens to be a mainstay in Brawl, i'm wondering how Kirby could compete! Perhaps i'm just not in the best frame of mind to find what Kirby has above the rest, besides his fantastic charm, great recoveries which is nearly zonked out as this is true for a many, and combo ability.

Am i missing some integral part of Kirby! Please, enlighten me, oh great Kirby Smashers.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
If this seemingly unavoidable damage happens to be a mainstay in Brawl, i'm wondering how Kirby could compete! Perhaps i'm just not in the best frame of mind to find what Kirby has above the rest, besides his fantastic charm, great recoveries which is nearly zonked out as this is true for a many, and combo ability.

Am i missing some integral part of Kirby! Please, enlighten me, oh great Kirby Smashers.
I sort of lost track of what you were asking since you linked me to a pretty deep, and long, discussion of a competitive analysis between Brawl and Melee. Looking back at what you posted I think the part I quoted, above, is what you're asking about.

If it's easier to get hit in Brawl, and Kirby is a light-weight, then is Kirby going to have trouble winning or is there something that helps him out to compensate?
I think that's what you're asking, right? If so, then I can shed some of my thoughts on the subject.

You sort of answered your own question. Although light-weight, Kirby has a pretty good recovery to compensate (as most characters in Brawl do). He also has some good combo potential - a quality that seems much less commonplace than in Melee. But... is this all?

What you didn't mention that he's also smallish, which makes him harder to hit; not a great advantage, but an advantage none-the-less. This combined with the increased effectiveness of shielding and dodging in Brawl, makes it more possible than in Melee to get close to your opponent in a defensive position and become a threat.

The main disadvantage Kirby had in Melee was that he was garbage at long range, but his offense and approach were terrible. In other words, pretty much any character could camp Kirby and easily punish any offense he attempted. Now that his Final Cutter is more effective, it's safer to use from a distance (and up close using the sword) making Kirby harder to camp. Also, Kirby's attacks have more priority and less lag, so he's harder to punish with approaches in general.

There's more, obviously, but I'm getting IM's and stuff so I have to go (I shouldn't have logged onto AIM, ha ha).

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but compared to many of the characters in brawl, the Kirbles has pretty good killpower... especially for one of the characters that can combo decently. When unspammed, his F-smash can start KOing between 80 and 130% (depending on weight and DI effectiveness) which isn't too shabby in brawl.

Trace_User500

Smash Apprentice
As i lurked about, checking out the Brawl General, i came upon a topic that put fear in my heart and yet challenged me to gander.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=153322

(specific post links at bottom of OP)

While the topic itself had merit, Card seemed to begin the end, or, at least, the finality of a chapter in the topic's log. I'd almost let go of it, as things began to lightly deteriorate as they do, only to find more interesting in depth and bothersome possible truths in Cactuar's post.

And, as i came to realization of what it meant, i'd also kept in mind what my oh-so-favorite Kirby was. A Lightweight. In a maybe system that requires you to slug it out with an opponent that will most certainly get some licks in as well.

Well, I'm no great Kirby Smasher but here's my answer:
What?

Sterowent

Smash Ace
Heh, ah, maybe i did lay it on thick, perhaps laying out more than necessary even...

Welp, thanks lots for the response then, t!MmY and FFMcF! Perhaps all that pessimism, though somewhat justified, shook up my senses!

Appreciated.

Rowln

Smash Rookie
If you love Kirby as I do, you find all the work arounds, as stated earlier, his comboing is greater, and honestly he seems alot stronger in KO'ing then in melee. Gotta <3 his recoverys. Plus.... com'on you just cant beat "HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII" =D

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
I feel as though if an opponent doesnt KO me in a smash hit, then my advantage increases greatly. I wish i could post some vids of me showing what i mean, because its really hard to explain. I feel like when they go after me from edgeguarding, my potential for KO'ing them is better. I LOVE THAT FEELING. XD

Demised

Smash Ace
I feel as though if an opponent doesnt KO me in a smash hit, then my advantage increases greatly. I wish i could post some vids of me showing what i mean, because its really hard to explain. I feel like when they go after me from edgeguarding, my potential for KO'ing them is better. I LOVE THAT FEELING. XD

I know EXACTLY what your talking about.

Top Bottom