• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Friendly Tip Exchanges.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
If this kind of thread doesn't belong here, then sorry about that.
Ok we al know Kirby is an all around decently average character right?
He has some flaws, but has some advantages.

I created this thread because I know all us Kirby mains have some problems when using him such as when it comes to approaching, trying to KO, Combos on certain characters etc.

This thread is like a discussion to give tips to each and every one of us on how to improve our Kirby play.
Many people play Kirby in different ways, for instance I am generally an aggressive Kirby player, I get punished a lot, but I also get in a lot of Combos and Edgeguards because of it.

If we can exchange certain tips on how we use Kirby that would help everyone one of us, it would be great.
Once again if this shouldn't be here, then I am very sorry because I'm new, but an incredibly Huge smash fan nonetheless.

So just to recap I am an aggressive Kirby and that can also be a bad thing, if anyone has any sort of idea on what I could do to not get punished to often, and how I approach slightly better then that would be nice.

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
Well, if you enjoy double's play, I mean real doubles play with team damage, team with a Shulk main and copy his ability at the start of the fight. It makes for a rediculous Kirby with insane recovery and great stats in the other form, better use of the Arts than Shulk IMO. We call it team Manado Boyz. :)

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Well, if you enjoy double's play, I mean real doubles play with team damage, team with a Shulk main and copy his ability at the start of the fight. It makes for a rediculous Kirby with insane recovery and great stats in the other form, better use of the Arts than Shulk IMO. We call it team Manado Boyz. :)
If I could ever find a tournament in lame Wisconsin, let alone manage to play one online..........seriously people always leaving just makes it impossible.

OluGhost

Smash Cadet
Montclair, Virginia (Woodbridge/Dumfries Area)
NNID
oluxdeo
3DS FC
4141-1892-7943
If this kind of thread doesn't belong here, then sorry about that.
Ok we al know Kirby is an all around decently average character right?
He has some flaws, but has some advantages.

I created this thread because I know all us Kirby mains have some problems when using him such as when it comes to approaching, trying to KO, Combos on certain characters etc.

This thread is like a discussion to give tips to each and every one of us on how to improve our Kirby play.
Many people play Kirby in different ways, for instance I am generally an aggressive Kirby player, I get punished a lot, but I also get in a lot of Combos and Edgeguards because of it.

If we can exchange certain tips on how we use Kirby that would help everyone one of us, it would be great.
Once again if this shouldn't be here, then I am very sorry because I'm new, but an incredibly Huge smash fan nonetheless.

So just to recap I am an aggressive Kirby and that can also be a bad thing, if anyone has any sort of idea on what I could do to not get punished to often, and how I approach slightly better then that would be nice.
A few tips on approaching from the neutral stage:
Often I'll bait my opponent into making a move by dashing in and out, jumping into neutral air, back air, then air dodging, fast falling, or a repeated air attack. This is good for spacing as you close in too.
Final cutter is also somewhat useful for approaching from a distance because it covers a good amount of ground in front of you, will interrupt an approaching opponent and can bait out shields to halt your opponents approach and make them slow down.

Being aggressive early and taking some damage isn't bad, and ACTUALLY in a lot of instances it can make you better. Kirby is one of the slipperiest characters in the game and very small so if you get enough damage on your opponent to balance out getting punished in the first stock for example, your rage will increase which brings me to KO MOVES.

Normally Kirby needs to rack up a LOT of damage to KO but of course you can use rage when you have high percent damage yourself. That's where Kirby's evasiveness comes into play.

-Stone/Rock-
(Great anti-air for countering aggressive air attacks from below, absolutely lethal to the fox jump and up air tactics. Just be aware of your opponent's reads and don't abuse it as it is easy to punish if you hit the ground. If your opponent reads it, get out of stone early and mix it up. Also VERY underrated and underused for edge guarding. I've caught a lot of players online off guard when they're trying to recover low, I'll go high then drop straight down catching them on their attempt to grab the ledge.)

-Up Smash-
The strongest and most effective smash attack Kirby has. It kills at the lowest percent from the center of the stage compared to forward smash, and down smash very similar to fox's up smash.

-Hammer-
Timing is everything with this move. It has a lot of cool down and leaves you vulnerable so use it wisely. It's a good move to use when covering an edge roll and can be effective when fending off an air attack from the side if you're recovering. Just be aware of your timing, I can't stress that enough. You will get rekt if you swing too late.

-Back Air-
A fast attack with a good amount of KO potential. Good for edge guarding and can be thrown out multiple times in between jumps.

-Down Air (Edge Guard)-
Very effective against heavy fast falling characters and characters with low jumps/recovery (Ganondorf, Bowser, Little Mac)
Use it to drag them down low beneath the stage then grab the ledge to refresh your jumps and prevent them from recovering.

These are just a few options from the top of my head. If I find a Smash 4 Kirby guide on youtube or on here with good information I'll pass it on.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
A few tips on approaching from the neutral stage:
Often I'll bait my opponent into making a move by dashing in and out, jumping into neutral air, back air, then air dodging, fast falling, or a repeated air attack. This is good for spacing as you close in too.
Final cutter is also somewhat useful for approaching from a distance because it covers a good amount of ground in front of you, will interrupt an approaching opponent and can bait out shields to halt your opponents approach and make them slow down.

Being aggressive early and taking some damage isn't bad, and ACTUALLY in a lot of instances it can make you better. Kirby is one of the slipperiest characters in the game and very small so if you get enough damage on your opponent to balance out getting punished in the first stock for example, your rage will increase which brings me to KO MOVES.

Normally Kirby needs to rack up a LOT of damage to KO but of course you can use rage when you have high percent damage yourself. That's where Kirby's evasiveness comes into play.

-Stone/Rock-
(Great anti-air for countering aggressive air attacks from below, absolutely lethal to the fox jump and up air tactics. Just be aware of your opponent's reads and don't abuse it as it is easy to punish if you hit the ground. If your opponent reads it, get out of stone early and mix it up. Also VERY underrated and underused for edge guarding. I've caught a lot of players online off guard when they're trying to recover low, I'll go high then drop straight down catching them on their attempt to grab the ledge.)

-Up Smash-
The strongest and most effective smash attack Kirby has. It kills at the lowest percent from the center of the stage compared to forward smash, and down smash very similar to fox's up smash.

-Hammer-
Timing is everything with this move. It has a lot of cool down and leaves you vulnerable so use it wisely. It's a good move to use when covering an edge roll and can be effective when fending off an air attack from the side if you're recovering. Just be aware of your timing, I can't stress that enough. You will get rekt if you swing too late.

-Back Air-
A fast attack with a good amount of KO potential. Good for edge guarding and can be thrown out multiple times in between jumps.

-Down Air (Edge Guard)-
Very effective against heavy fast falling characters and characters with low jumps/recovery (Ganondorf, Bowser, Little Mac)
Use it to drag them down low beneath the stage then grab the ledge to refresh your jumps and prevent them from recovering.

These are just a few options from the top of my head. If I find a Smash 4 Kirby guide on youtube or on here with good information I'll pass it on.
Don't forget his Fair and Nair for Edge guard KOs as well I know they aren't too reliable, at least the Nair, but it's worth a shot.
His B and U-throw are his best throws. A lot of the time I do go for grabs for KOs just because it's fun. I haven't really though of using stone for edge guarding, maybe I can take that into consideration, ty

OluGhost

Smash Cadet
Montclair, Virginia (Woodbridge/Dumfries Area)
NNID
oluxdeo
3DS FC
4141-1892-7943
Don't forget his Fair and Nair for Edge guard KOs as well I know they aren't too reliable, at least the Nair, but it's worth a shot.
His B and U-throw are his best throws. A lot of the time I do go for grabs for KOs just because it's fun. I haven't really though of using stone for edge guarding, maybe I can take that into consideration, ty
True, f-air is a good option if you chase your opponent in the air toward the off-screen KO zone. It's multi-hit and lasts long enough to punish air-dodges if timed right. Not as strong as B-air but still a decent option near the KO zone/edge.

Also true about the throws in most cases. Up throw does the most damage at around %10, back throw is decent for combos on certain characters. It depends on what you're setting up for. Down throw can be useful against certain characters if you down throw and then dash attack depending on their weight and damage percentage. But if you are trying to keep your opponent in the air, up throw pops them back up setting them up for a juggle, chase into dash attack, or many other options. Up throw is my favorite option but I will mix it up often.

Top Bottom