• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby for 2 specific matchups?

SuperScope

Smash Cadet
Hello! I'm looking into a secondary for two matchups those being shiek and megaman. I main Lucina and I get good results at my local but I find these two matchups much harder than just adapting. Basically a defensive shiek is really hard to deal with and as for megaman my only issue is lemons. I was thinking of Kirby mainly because of his duck and dtilt, but I would like to hear more opinions on the matter.

KD_DSi

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheDSi
For Shiek, yes. imo kirby shiek is 55/45.

As for Megaman, Kirby can't get to him easily. it's a crap matchup

PretorHyper

Smash Rookie
Sheik:
If he plays defensive, crouching and shielding some of his stuff may force him to come to you and give you some advantage, as Ninja said, we do have some advantage. Having his needles also helps a lot. However we are pretty suceptible to his combos and we die earlier than most to the 50/50s.

Megaman:
Yes, we can crouch most of his projectiles (leafs hit, sawblade hits and fsmash hits if charged), but that's about it. His fair beats a lot of our approachs and the only thing we get out of his blade is some grab setups. It's more of an even MU IMHO but it depends a lot on the other player, I beat one of the megamans in my scene frequently but the other one bodies me hard.

Last edited:

SuperScope

Smash Cadet
Megaman:
Yes, we can crouch most of his projectiles (leafs hit and fsmash hits if charged), but that's about it. His fair beats a lot of our approachs and the only thing we get out of his blade is some grab setups. It's more of an even MU IMHO but it depends a lot on the other player, I beat one of the megamans in my scene frequently but the other one bodies me hard.
What does the other one do to body you that the first megaman does not do? Just curious.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Sheik:
If he plays defensive, crouching and shielding some of his stuff may force him to come to you and give you some advantage, as Ninja said, we do have some advantage. Having his needles also helps a lot. However we are pretty suceptible to his combos and we die earlier than most to the 50/50s.

Megaman:
Yes, we can crouch most of his projectiles (leafs hit, sawblade hits and fsmash hits if charged), but that's about it. His fair beats a lot of our approachs and the only thing we get out of his blade is some grab setups. It's more of an even MU IMHO but it depends a lot on the other player, I beat one of the megamans in my scene frequently but the other one bodies me hard.
50/50's? What 50/50s? Dude, patch 1.1.5 NEUTERED her Down Throw. It can still rack up damage but by the time you get to kill percent, she's not getting anything true off it. Especially not on a floaty like Kirby. Once you're in kill percent, just jump away. When it comes to grabs, the most she can try for now it a mix up with F-Throw but not even that is effective because it got nerfed too. DI away and you should have plenty of time to air dodge. The only solid kill setups she still has now come off needles and F-Tilt and maybe D-Tilt? But other than that everything seems about right. Sheik can still edge guard low recoveries (high ones with a well spaced Final Cutter are tougher for her to catch) and her aerial frame data is still much better than ours. But now that she legitimately struggles to kill, we have more time to abuse rage, and her weight nerf makes Up Throw even more effective now. Combine that with potent Up Tilt and F-Throw combos and the ability to use her needles against which she can't crouch and Kirby proves to be a solid check.

But I also agree on Megaman. That matchup can really go either way judging by Mike's track record with Ninjalink and Triple R's record with SWAG. We can crouch lemons, take sawblades, and combo the blue bomber hard but he has an overall solid zoning game, good edge guarding abilities, and tricky aerials. I feel that while the matchup is more than doable for Kirby, he's probably not the goto to pick for countering Megaman. Characters like :4fox:who can easily invade his zone would probably do you better. But if you want to see the matchup in action:

FKA Kobra

Smash Cadet
NNID
super-kobe-10
If it's just those 2 matchups then I wouldn't pick up Kirby as the mega man matchup isn't that good for him and while the sheik matchup isn't bad, Kirby doesn't have any true advantages other than the low crouch (which a few other characters also have) and being able to combo her well (which some characters can also do).

Top Bottom