• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

kirby Counter

Septuagint

Smash Cadet
I play my bro offline, Luigi vs. Kirby matchups. I can beat him with pit, but I don't like using pit as much as Luigi.
I have a killer Luigi, I beat most people, I lose a lot too, but it usually comes down to the last him (Online battles). Offline the few that I play I destroy, but my little bro's kirby, keeps beating me, even 2 and 3 stocks me.

I must be countering him wrong or something, or maybe my timing is just bad.
Oh, he mainly uses f-smash and up-b, that's the worst part, He uses 2 moves and I have a tough time beating him.

My missile, he f-smashes, tornado recover, f-smash, and he uses his up-b wisely, cuz he's totally aware of my fire uppercut. Darn it.

Give me a good kirby strategy? Especially in the edge guarding game, we spent a lot of time trying to trick each other there, but he can suck me and kill me easily. Unless someone knows how to get out of the suck really quickly.

Chaoscrunchy

Smash Rookie
I think luigi's tornado move may cancel out kirby's slash, but I don't know that off hand.
If he's used to you try to get him with the uppercut, try playing some mind games with that. What i like to do to those ppl is just walk (not run) to them, they think you're getting ready to uppercut but just before you get to them use your down A attack (you know, the break dance spiny thing.) if you're walking you'll notice he slides during the attack which increases the range of that attack slightly. I hope that helps!

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
If he's spammer of only Fsmash and upb, then I suggest you definitly kick his a*s! Kirby's pretty light-weight and can be killed a early %s espically with a shoryuken at 42%. So be on a look out on that. Both have great aerial game and ground game and have recovery game too. Kirby's Fsmash can pack a punch and has some decent range. His upb has some decent vertical height but no horzionatal height. Keep yourself well spaced with Bairs as for Bairs > his Fsmash I believe espically if you space well. During edgeguard game, if he likes to attack while jumping back onto the stage, keep throwing fireballs, aerials mainly Bair until he's forced to use his upb. A WoP works pretty decent too. Fireball+Tornado approachs work nifty too. If he's abusing the inhale suicide, that means your approaching him too fast and too much.
Carefully throw fireballs at him. That's what I used to do at D3's who inhale.

Septuagint

Smash Cadet
You know these are good strategies to use against a regular good kirby, but I think it's either that I'm bad at timing, or we play each other too much. He doesn't suicide with inhale, he spits me out under the stage or far away so I can't recover, and if I mash all the buttons, I keep pressing jump and I lose that momentum. I think the key to beating him is knowing how to get out of his swallow quickers, which I seen been done.
WoP doesn't work against kirby with a sucking. And when he's under the stage, he doesn't jump up to attack cuz he knows I'll fire ball him. He waits for me to approach. Timed battles he flies away to suddent death. Maybe I should play him with tournament rules.

Septuagint

Smash Cadet
You know these are good strategies to use against a regular good kirby, but I think it's either that I'm bad at timing, or we play each other too much. He doesn't suicide with inhale, he spits me out under the stage or far away so I can't recover, and if I mash all the buttons, I keep pressing jump and I lose that momentum. I think the key to beating him is knowing how to get out of his swallow quickers, which I seen been done.
WoP doesn't work against kirby with a sucking. And when he's under the stage, he doesn't jump up to attack cuz he knows I'll fire ball him. He waits for me to approach. Timed battles he flies away to suddent death. Maybe I should play him with tournament rules.
Thought the sliding down kickk I should try, I never ever used that, didn't know that it could slide. Oh and yes, it's easily to kill with the karate chop, but I never get him with it and when It's funny, cuz until he reaches 120%, that's when I can look for the kill, for some reasonhe knows how to survive longer then the typical kirby.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I'll post abit later im in a rush lol dunno really about kirbys that much

Edit: If he sucked you up, then get ready to charge a green missle. After that, usually you have the second jump+in sane rising tornado trick. I've recovered with that against D3s.Still works against Kirbys as well. You have to be patient in fighting Kirby. If you rush in too much, you'll only be rushing into your death espically with the inhale.

Luigi has a slight advantage against Kirby due to his Ko power.

LongCat90001

Smash Cadet
it may be hard to get above a kirby, but luigis dair is good for combos if you can do it right. Also if you cant get him with a fire punch just do back throw when you are close to edge

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I'll post abit later im in a rush lol dunno really about kirbys that much

Edit: If he sucked you up, then get ready to charge a green missle. After that, usually you have the second jump+in sane rising tornado trick. I've recovered with that against D3s.Still works against Kirbys as well. You have to be patient in fighting Kirby. If you rush in too much, you'll only be rushing into your death espically with the inhale.

Luigi has a slight advantage against Kirby due to his Ko power.
Thats a good idea, i never thought about doing that. xD

it may be hard to get above a kirby, but luigis dair is good for combos if you can do it right. Also if you cant get him with a fire punch just do back throw when you are close to edge
Yeah i wanted to say that too, short hop some downairs or nairs from above to avoid kirby's fsmash, If he is the kind of person that only uses two moves (i.e. a spammer) then he will keep attempting to use fsmash which has pretty bad start up/cool down time. If you pick your openings, you should be able to kill him in no time. Shoryuken is really smexy here because it kills kirby so soon, so you should read up on different combos into the fire punch to confuse kirby.

Top Bottom