• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King of the Couch - 10.27.07 :: :North Brunswick, NJ ::: Amateur Tournament

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
KING OF THE COUCH TOURNAMENTS
For more info on this or other events check www.KingOfTheCouch.com

• EVENT INFO
Saturday, October 27th, 2007

DeVry University
630 U.S. Highway One (aka Route 1)
North Brunswick, NJ 08902
  • SUPER SMASH BROTHERSTOURNAMENT INFO
:ENTRANCE FEE:

$10 per player (buy-backs allowed for 1st round ONLY)

:1st PLACE PRIZE:

$100 Prize Package & entrance into a Retro Tournament for a $500 Prize Pack

:TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE:

Doors open @ 8 AM
Signups and Freeplay open @ 8 AM - 11 AM
SSBM 1v1 Tournament starts @ 11:30 AM
Tournament is scheduled to end by 5PM

:TOURNAMENT RULES:

~ 1v1 Matches
~ Single elimination brackets
~ Three (3) stock
~ Five (5) minute time limit
~ Each round is best of three (3) matches; Finals and semi-finals are best of five (5) matches
~ Players have 1 minute to select a character, after which point it will revert to DOUBLE BLIND PICK. After the first game is played, the winning player may elect to change characters followed by the losing player. This pattern continues for all of the following matches.
~ All stages will be chosen by RANDOM SELECT
~ The same stage cannot be played twice during a set
~ Tie Breaker Rule - Ties will be determined by SUDDEN DEATH
~ Random Stages - Final Destination, Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium, Yoshi's Story, Kong Jungle 64, Corneria, Rainbow Cruise, Mute City, Brinstar
~ Each player is allowed to STRIKE (ban) up to three (3) stage from the random list for the duration of each set. Stage strikes must be announced prior to the selection of characters for the first match. DO NOT REMOVE THE STAGE FROM THE RANDOM STAGE LIST, JUST QUIT THE MATCH!
~ Items will be turned OFF
~ In the event of an equipment malfunction, the match will be restart from the beginning NO MATTER WHAT!
~ Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character, freezing the match, or in some way distort the physics of the game are banned. Using them will result in the IMMEDIATE forfeit of the match.
~ Stalling tactics of any kind are BANNED. You may use these techniques to return to the stage ONLY. Using a stalling glitch/tactic to indefinately stall a match will result in the IMMEDIATE forfeit of the match.
~ Nintendo Standard controllers only. BRING WAVEBIRDS AT YOUR OWN RISK!! Anyone caught using a modded controller will be disqualified.
~ All rules are subject to change and will be fully enforced by tournaments officials. Officials will be available for assistance at anytime.

:OTHER TOURNAMENTS:
Halo 3 - Free-for-All
Madden '08 (PS2 and Xbox360) - 1v1
NBA Live '08 (Xbox 360) -1v1
**Check www.KingOfTheCouch.com for more info.**​

• A MESSAGE FROM the suicide fox
This is essentially our third event in the New Jersey area. Now before you make comments on the rules, prizes, buybacks or anything realize THIS IS AN AMATEUR TOURNAMENT. The rules, format, and prizes are geared towards players new to the tournament scene and/or the casual gamer. The prize packages are basically sponsored prize packs with a value of around $100. This includes, but is not limited to, consoles, controllers, games, GamerGraffix decals and ICONZ, and other video game apparel.

All 1st prize winners also get entered into out Retro Tournament for a $500 grand prize package. This Retro tournament could be anything from Pong, to Tetris (my fav), to Super Mario Brothers (like the ORIGINAL one). So if you plan on coming to the event to win, head over to the Wii Virtual Console, XBL Marketplace, or PS3 Market to pick up some classics to brush up on.

If you have questions feel free to send an AOL instant message to TheSuicideFox​

HAT

Smash Ace
Amateur tournament or not, you'd think someone would catch on and realize that an opinion that the majority of the smash community has is a good opinion for tournament organizers to adopt.

Corneria, Rainbow Cruise, Mute City, Brinstar:

Bad decisions.

Oh well. I'll probably still try to come to this.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Yea, but that is the opinion of this community. Just because regular tournament goers, pros, and community members have an opinion about what the rules should be doesn't mean the casual/local players have the same opinion. And it is an amateur tournament meaning the rules will not be SWF standard. And majority of players at our events are not from SWF, or any other undeground forum, but mostly locals. Therefore, to include a bit of variety into an event makes it more appealing to those types of players.

And while I was going to go with a variation on advanced slobs (both players do their counterpicks for the first games, and the final match is the random one) it IS very confusing for players who don't play in tournaments regularly. Therefore if I make it simple and go all random, I need a few more stages to make the tournament "less boring."

JFox

Smash Hero
So there's 11 stages, and each player chooses three to ban? That means that out of 11 stages, there will be 5 left. Thats a lot of reseting matches before you get a non-banned stage.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Would you rather have only 1 or 2 bans? :)

And yea it's a lot, but its more varied at least, since players aren't doing counterpicks.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I may be able to go since it's 14 minutes away from my house.

I feel people from SWF will go but they are being gay not saying anything so no-one will know. Any SWF smasher at this tourney that did not post here is officially being called gay if I go and see their *** there.

Edit: pms from Eggm and Tunes tourney are convincing....hmmm...

Jones4Life

Smash Apprentice
In the space between you're oven and fridge
I'm going to this. So is Ledhed(AKA JOKR). See you all there.

I went to the last one. ITs a great event. The cubes r free to use before the tournament for friendly play and after the first round if there r any open. It's a great time im hoping to see alot of SWF smahsers there.

starcock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Starcock
I am prolly gonna come to this.
I read about you from the archives, Aren't you that mantis looking guy that only goes to tourniments with people that are ok or sucks? So you could try and win easy? NO respect at all for you, you need to get your *** to the tunes bi weekly and show us all your true power instead of taking that easy road with your go kart. Not gonna fly....not gonna fly.

If I had a ride I would come there personally to teach you how to play, give you the co.cks toturial of legends. :lick:

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
For those of you wanting to get in freeplay/practice before the tournament starts, remember the doors open at 8 AM. So get there early and you can get in some warm ups. Also note that for the finals match, we generally turn off all other TVs, but up until then IF we have a free TV you can play friendlies. Just don't hop onto an open TV w/o asking first, as we are strict about TV usage during tournament time.

Also, I'd like to remind you guys that first place also gets entered into a RETRO tournament. As mentioned in the first post, this will be a classic game, probably one that's older than most of you, LOL. I'm personally hoping for Tetris, as it's one of my all time favs. Go get on the Wii Shop channel and d/l some classics, or just google search flash games for: Tetris, PacMan, Super Mario Brothers, or classic video games and get some practice in. 1st place in the Retro gets a $500 prize package!

PS Starcoc.k - Please don't advertise other tournaments in my topics. Keep that chatter to your own topics. Thanks

starcock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Starcock
For those of you wanting to get in freeplay/practice before the tournament starts, remember the doors open at 8 AM. So get there early and you can get in some warm ups. Also note that for the finals match, we generally turn off all other TVs, but up until then IF we have a free TV you can play friendlies. Just don't hop onto an open TV w/o asking first, as we are strict about TV usage during tournament time.

Also, I'd like to remind you guys that first place also gets entered into a RETRO tournament. As mentioned in the first post, this will be a classic game, probably one that's older than most of you, LOL. I'm personally hoping for Tetris, as it's one of my all time favs. Go get on the Wii Shop channel and d/l some classics, or just google search flash games for: Tetris, PacMan, Super Mario Brothers, or classic video games and get some practice in. 1st place in the Retro gets a $500 prize package!

PS Starcoc.k - Please don't advertise other tournaments in my topics. Keep that chatter to your own topics. Thanks
Oh ok, but wasn't really trying to, I could careless about other tournies but my own. Mines would be on Thanksgiving, the biggest **** day period in the history of man kind and known to some species of rodents. I am sure your tourniment is sexy too :) Hope you have fun aswell.

SLAYERCoLdKiLr

Smash Journeyman
Oh ok, but wasn't really trying to, I could careless about other tournies but my own. Mines would be on Thanksgiving, the biggest **** day period in the history of man kind and known to some species of rodents. I am sure your tourniment is sexy too :) Hope you have fun aswell.
That's kinda sad. I spend Thanksgiving with my family, watch football, and eat the best food of the year. So have fun with playing a videogame on a holiday. Btw Joe Fox I was the kid that talked to you about MLG Halo and Playing smash at tournaments with multiple stages and ****, the big guy with curly hair. I'm really trying to make time to come to this, the one near philly was fun ^_^

Bailey

Smash Hero
I read about you from the archives, Aren't you that mantis looking guy that only goes to tourniments with people that are ok or sucks? So you could try and win easy? NO respect at all for you, you need to get your *** to the tunes bi weekly and show us all your true power instead of taking that easy road with your go kart. Not gonna fly....not gonna fly.

If I had a ride I would come there personally to teach you how to play, give you the co.cks toturial of legends. :lick:
lol. If I didn't know who you were I would flame the poop outta you. Want to name 3 real tournaments were I went were the people were horrible? Mantis? I am a fat white guy.

Eggm

Smash Hero
The tunes won't be making it, try sechduling the next one not on a Tunes biweekly day splitting up the NJ scene stinks, c-ya at the next one if its on a better date.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Eggm: Unfortunately we have to make our dates based around DeVry's schedule and had few options for this event. I try my best to not schedule on the same day as other events, but sometimes it happens.

Tomorrow's the big day, get your game faces on!

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Probably gunna make it, I go 2 Rutgers and this is much closer than the tunes bi-weekly!

Top Bottom