• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King of Swing (DK guide)

King of Swing (DK guide)

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
MurphyPrime submitted a new guide:

King of Swing (DK guide) - The ins and outs of the well-dressed Gorilla

He's Bigger, and Faster, And Stronger too. He's the first member of the D.K. crew. Seriously, why am I the first to make a guide for him? Oh well. Donkey Kong is a decent character, but seems to fly under the radar. This guide is all about trying to get him into a more well known position.

Overview:

Donkey Kong is fairly similar to Bowser in his weight and power. The main difference between the two is Donkey Kong is better in the air than Bowser, but Bowser has more KOing potential on the...
Read more about this guide...

Roager

Smash Ace
This is good stuff. Comprehensive, and in my experience, quite accurate. Love having the damage numbers and applications on record. Though nair is better than it gets credit for, as long as you can predict/prevent attacks from the weak angles.

The spacing, matchups, and final thoughts sections have it, but I feel like the general strategy/gameplan could use some more emphasis. DK needs to play patient, but still kind of aggressive. Those long arms can come out quick, so you've got strong threat coverage around DK. Just nothing further out. But even though the instinct is to rush in and close the distance, DK's got enough punishable attacks that you can't overextend. Lots of walking and shielding can help, as can nairs and uairs. Close the distance slowly, and counter their spacing/zoning as you go.

The only other things I would add would be the use of tilts as projectile defense and down-b against rollers.

Also, is there data on rolling out of charge? I know it's mentioned as a possibility, but are there any differences between that roll and any other? And how does it affect the windups?

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
The rolling out of charge is the same as if you roll dodged while using the shield to the best of my knowledge. I can't say for certain, but the way the windups seems to work is it records how many full rotations DK does. So if you interrupt after doing 5 and a half rotations, then if you resumed charging it would start at 5 windups already done, not in between. And I appreciate the feedback. I'm always nervous about telling people exactly how I play, because I'm not amazing at the game. I would rather give more guidelines about how to best use DK's strengths and let people fine-tune their strategies from there. The only exception to this is if DK had some big secret combo/technique that made him awesome if you used it. I do agree with your view on DK, and it's how I like to play. The neutral air is very quirky, but I agree it's useful especially as a surprise. Thanks for reading and the suggestions.

Last edited:

Roager

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm not perfect either. It feels sort of pretentious to suggest stuff, but I figure if I'm wrong somebody's gonna correct me and we'll all be better off knowledge-wise. When I explain characters, I usually try to focus on a mentality/plan as a starting point and add moveset applications from there.

Also is it just me, or is the side-B spike almost useless compared to the down-B spike? The hitbox, power, and even speed seem better whenever I'm using them.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
The side-B move slows DK's fall, so the timing is really weird. Also the hitbox for the spike is very small, so I agree with you. The down-B is way better in my opinion.

Gloman600

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gloman600
hey id say im an intermediate DK player i know the potential of his tools but havent mastered them yet anyway I get good use out of downB for predicting rolls and spacing always have a charged punch ready it brings them to you also DK is great at juggling up tilts to up airs to upB on the ground works often for me great mix up racks huge damage

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the tips and review. I'm planning on an update when I get a bit more time, that will go more in depth into game plan/strategy.

Chaos Archangel

Smash Cadet
Hey dude, I always considered myself pretty good with DK but I learned somethings I never knew. I also noticed a couple things missing.

- If I'm not mistaken, side b can be smashed for a longer bury.

- UpB has armor on startup and is excellent on the ground.

-DownB punishes a predicted dodge gloriously.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
As I posted earlier, I'm planning an update to go more into game plan/strategies when I get more time. I didn't know the side b could be smashed, so I'm going to put that into the update. Thanks for the suggestions.

louie g

Smash Journeyman
Hey dude, I always considered myself pretty good with DK but I learned somethings I never knew. I also noticed a couple things missing.

- If I'm not mistaken, side b can be smashed for a longer bury.

- UpB has armor on startup and is excellent on the ground.

-DownB punishes a predicted dodge gloriously.
Probably a dumb question, but what does side b being "smashed" mean?

Roager

Smash Ace
louie g said:
what does side b being "smashed" mean?
Basically, do the sideB similar to a smash attack. With Samus, her normal side B is a slow, homing missile. Smashed side B is a faster, stronger, straight missile. You can test with her to make sure you've got the input right.

No idea if true on DK, but it's kinda neato if it is.

Last edited:

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
I haven't really thought to give it a try. Kinda of busy now but it would be cool to know.

louie g

Smash Journeyman
Basically, do the sideB similar to a smash attack. With Samus, her normal side B is a slow, homing missile. Smashed side B is a faster, stronger, straight missile. You can test with her to make sure you've got the input right.

No idea if true on DK, but it's kinda neato if it is.
Ah that makes sense now, thanks for clearing that up.

Also props to Murphy, really well written guide, pretty much sums up how DK works!

Top Bottom