• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede's Aerial Waddle Dashing.

Wade Benedict

Smash Rookie
Hello everybody, I am Wade Benedict. Long time lurker, first time poster. My main character is the Majestic King Dedede. He is just so dang fun to play and I absolutely love his fighting style. I am having a hard time with his Waddle Dashing though, specifically while in the air. Waddle Dashing on the ground is a piece of cake, but I just can't seem to figure out how to do it in the air. I am really wanting to learn this because it would greatly improve my recovery game.

I found a post in this forum explaining how to do it, but I kinda need it to be explained a little better. I am hoping you can kinda break it down to me in simpler steps. I'd also like to ask you guys who have mastered it, to please give me some pointers. Like what made it easier for you to practice? Was it easier to practice while actually in combat or in training mode? Just anything you can think of to make it easier. Thank you in advance.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wrote this up in another thread, let me know if you need more infoz

There are a couple methods to use a Waddle glide for recovery
  • The easiest is to use an aerial jump and soft-throw (not smash throw) the Waddle upward/diagonal then use another jump to get right next to it and air-dodge the direction you want to fly.
  • A slightly harder method is to use an aerial jump and soft-throw a Waddle straight downward and then move the control stick back to either holding straight forward or diagonally down and forward. You can then wait a little bit and your should align with the Waddle in the air and you can proceed to Waddle glide like normal.
    • Instead of Waddle gliding completely horizontally, you can hold forward and down diagonally on the control stick and repeatedly press the L or R button to glide and keep re-catching the Waddle without having to use any additional jumps. You can end this by either jumping, using your Up-B, or by Waddle gliding normally (that is, completely horizontally) for mixups.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I don't wanna blow people's minds, but you can waddle dash without jumping. it's insanely hard for me to do though, and you have to go low

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't wanna blow people's minds, but you can waddle dash without jumping. it's insanely hard for me to do though, and you have to go low
Only way I've been able to do it was past a certain forward momentum threshold. Soft-throw the waddle straight down, catch up to it without jumping, voilà.

Wade Benedict

Smash Rookie
9bit, I have seen your original post of that before and have tried it out. Though the information is helpful, I still have problems. I'm kinda wanting the information to be broken down a little more I guess.

Ripple, I will definitely try that out in the future, but first I think I should master doing it the more normal way haha. I've watched several of your vids and you play a mean Dedede. I would definitely like to know what made it easier to master his Waddle Glide.

Victra, You asked for it, you shall receive the full glorious picture of the sexy Dedede.

king_dedede_by_jaehthebird-d300e68.jpg

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll see if I can break it down more (this is for recovering, so you just got hit by an attack and sent off stage)
  1. Be holding the control stick towards the stage
  2. Jump
  3. Press B (it will be a side B because you're holding forward)
  4. Angle the control stick up-diagonal to throw the Waddle at an upward angle
  5. Go back to holding straight towards the stage
  6. Jump again
  7. Air-dodge (it will go towards the stage because you're holding forward)
That's really all there is to it. You will have 1 aerial jump remaining that you can use to jump and air-dodge again with, which will do another Waddle dash, if you so choose.

Wade Benedict

Smash Rookie
Alright so when I go to press B while already holding the stick forward, is that known as a "Soft Throw". Also I'm assuming that I am holding the stick as far forward as I can right? Also I think that when I've practiced, I may of been pushing my stick all the way up instead of diagonally, which would obviously be a major part of my problem.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah it's kinda like the difference between a Tilt and a Smash. Really it just comes down to timing -- you see where the Waddle goes and you time yourself to jump into it (overlap it), then just air-dodge.

Wade Benedict

Smash Rookie
So my main problem definitely seems like it was mainly getting the Waddles to be thrown upwards. I would think jumping into them to Waddle Dash would be no problem. You have been extremely helpful 9bit. If anybody else has some suggestions, please feel free to chime in. I think that the next time I go to try this out, I will be able to start doing it. Unfortunately I do not have my own Wii so I am not able to practice this stuff at the moment. But I may be able to practice it some tomorrow when I am at my buddies house. Whenever I get to try it out, I will update ya'll on how I'm doing.

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
Good way to practice this: go to training mode final destination, place two bob-ombs in the middle right of the stage, dash attack into them (body slam), do the same thing again. Now you should be way up in the air on the left side and practice your waddle glide towards the right. Would a video help or do you think you got it?

Nroc

Smash Rookie
I have recently discovered Waddledash, and am now excited to go home and try it out as a recovery, you make it sound so easy.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I personally find it easy, but I was watching Hylian's stream the other day and he was trying to do it, but he couldn't pull it off once! I get the impression that people who don't play DDD are somehow mystified by how it works lol

OldManDyl (OMD)

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I played in crew battle the other day and everyone thought all of the D3 stuff was "amazing," as one guy put it, when in all reality I just did Jab -> Jab -> Fthrow. Same goes with waddle dashing to recover and approaching.

Nroc

Smash Rookie
I found the best way to practice it was to go to Hyrul and climb the far left tower, double jump off then waddledash to the other side of the map.

Wade Benedict

Smash Rookie
Wow It's been about a month since I was able to last reply in this topic. I have been able to play Project M a couple of times though since my last post and I am able to Waddle Glide now, although I've only really been able to do it while training. In the middle of a match I'm not usually prepared to do it so I've only done it like once in a match haha. I guess my main problem was just learning how to Soft Throw my Waddles. Thank you for all your help guys, especially you 9bit.

GoomySmash

Smash Apprentice
If you get good at waddle dashing you can actually go all the way under final destination. You have to be hit by an opponent about halfway to the blastzone with all of your jumps, but it's definitely something to strive for.

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
If you get good at waddle dashing you can actually go all the way under final destination. You have to be hit by an opponent about halfway to the blastzone with all of your jumps, but it's definitely something to strive for.
You can actually just straight up go from left ledge to right ledge under FD without getting hit or using waddle dashing. It isn't that useful of a tactic since it takes so long though :p.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I've went under Smashville once and it felt so satisfying when I snapped on that ledge. It's much harder doing it on FD but I can see it happening if you try really hard.

Nomzr

Smash Apprentice
Been learning to DDD, and I love it, my buddy rages at my grabs though lol.

So, when are you supposed to Waddle Dash/Glide? I can't seem to find any purpose for it unless I just want to derp around. I'm also not great at it, in the air, I don't even know how, but on the ground it's a lot easier.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Been learning to DDD, and I love it, my buddy rages at my grabs though lol.

So, when are you supposed to Waddle Dash/Glide? I can't seem to find any purpose for it unless I just want to derp around. I'm also not great at it, in the air, I don't even know how, but on the ground it's a lot easier.
Well you can use Waddle-Dashing for recovery by lightly tossing it upward and Air-Dodging into it.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVikoxhVS0g) Go to 1:50 in this video to see how it works in action

(http://smashboards.com/threads/a-beginners-guide-to-king-dedede.377544/) Also check out this guide I wrote, it goes over how to use his aerials and what not.

Top Bottom