• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede matchup help?

Hydrogenize

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty experienced with the matchup, I know when to punish, what to bait, etc. But I have trouble with King Dedede's Up b and it's super armor. A Dedede that I play with always recovers low and I don't know how to punish it. To be specific he always floats down to below the ledge and airdodges to avoid at attacks I may throw. Any help?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If people have the habit of airdodging your attacks offstage then make it look like you're going to attack them, wait for them to airdodge and double jump Dair the lag of their airdodge. It takes a bit of practice to get the timing but once you have it people will stop airdodging.

Also in a more general way, if people dodge your attacks % of the time it means you lack diversity and need to mix up things. Change your timings, change the attack you're using, sometimes don't attack at all and punish their dodge. You gotta use your imagination.

Last edited:

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
Jab + u-air are your best friend. Jab Gordos avoid being predictable. Know your range and you will be golden.

Adaptation

Hydrogenize

Smash Rookie
If people have the habit of airdodging your attacks offstage then make it look like you're going to attack them, wait for them to airdodge and double jump Dair the lag of their airdodge. It takes a bit of practice to get the timing but once you have it people will stop airdodging.

Also in a more general way, if people dodge your attacks % of the time it means you lack diversity and need to mix up things. Change your timings, change the attack you're using, sometimes don't attack at all and punish their dodge. You gotta use your imagination.
Thanks man I forgot about the stomp that you could do. This will work perfectly when I have to play my friend again.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
In my experience jabbing gordos with falcon is unreliable. It tends to go through my jab and hit me.

Crimson Ace

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlackestKnight
3DS FC
2681-0941-8621
Well from what you say, since you say he airdodges, you could bait the airdodge and stomp him with dair. Also, which DDD are you talking about? Finally, hi Stevie.

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
I'm not the most knowledgable about the DDD matchup, but I think that if DDD up b's and tries to land on you, you can start running away then immediately jump and do a reverse falcon punch. The landing leaves him open and the jump should protect you from the stars on the ground from the jump. That and it is a pretty sweet punish.

ThirdDay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
toastyost
3DS FC
1934-1050-5329
In my experience jabbing gordos with falcon is unreliable. It tends to go through my jab and hit me.
First of all, it's awesome to see a One Piece fan here :D

Second of all, when you are playing DeDeDe and he recovers low, just wait for a minute. He'll think that you are giving him the OK to recover. Then right when he's about to grab the ledge, run off of the stage and do a back air. This is not guaranteed to work if he airdodges or he just grabs the ledge too fast. It's all about timing. Hope this helped!

TheSausXL

Smash Cadet
if this guy is airdodging a lot, a good thing to do is read an airdodge into a knee. An easy way to do this is around 80% - 100% give him a down throw when you get near. Next, jump up and wait for the airdodge. If he does, throw out a knee and you should get the kill. You don't know how many people can be suckers for this! Also it's good to not go for it all the time because they will begin to know what you are trying to do. Good luck bud!

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
If you can't consistently knee him, you need to work on it. DDD is a very easy target. Plus try approaching from the air with uairs, bairs, nairs, and tomahawks. His ground options destroy ours.

Hydrogenize

Smash Rookie
If you can't consistently knee him, you need to work on it. DDD is a very easy target. Plus try approaching from the air with uairs, bairs, nairs, and tomahawks. His ground options destroy ours.
I'm fine with kneeing. It's only the recovery that gets me.

HFlash

NNID
HFlash
You can do two things.
1) Ledge trump and Bair when he recovers on the ledge
2) When he counters that by landing on stage, punish him with a nair/uair or knee if close enough.

Hydrogenize

Smash Rookie
You can do two things.
1) Ledge trump and Bair when he recovers on the ledge
2) When he counters that by landing on stage, punish him with a nair/uair or knee if close enough.
I like the idea of the ledge trump bair. Dedede will have a hard time getting around that. As for the punish on the stage recovery. How can I bait that? Like I fake going for the ledge trump so my opponent rolls on stage.

HFlash

NNID
HFlash
You don't really have to bait the opponent. If he goes for ledge, ledge trump and bair. If he lands on stage, he has enough end lag for you to punish consistently. Overall, DDD should be getting screwed over recovering back to stage.

Hydrogenize

Smash Rookie
You don't really have to bait the opponent. If he goes for ledge, ledge trump and bair. If he lands on stage, he has enough end lag for you to punish consistently. Overall, DDD should be getting screwed over recovering back to stage.
No I mean. If you try to ledge trump and they buffer the roll on stage, they won't pop off the ledge like in a ledge trump. How would I bait the buffered roll?

HFlash

NNID
HFlash
If that is true (which I was honestly not aware of) then you could just let them roll, and preemptively place an aerial where they will end the roll. Would create a 50 50 situation for the DDD getting hit or not.

Hydrogenize

Smash Rookie
If that is true (which I was honestly not aware of) then you could just let them roll, and preemptively place an aerial where they will end the roll. Would create a 50 50 situation for the DDD getting hit or not.
It is true and it's a guaranteed way out of a ledge trump. I guess I could double jump fake into a stomp/ knee/ falling up air. Thanks for the help man

Top Bottom