• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King D3's Double Jump Cancel

Vayseth

Smash Master
For those who don't know, double jump cancel was a term used in melee. Here's what it is as defined by the melee term thread:

Double Jump Cancel (DJC): This can only be performed with certain characters (e.g. Ness, Mewtwo, Peach, Yoshi) who have unique attributes regarding their second jump. These characters can manipulate their second jump with an attack to create obscure trajectories. It's quite frequent that a character will DJC (tap X/Y twice very quickly) an attack very low to the ground, like Ness's Bair. One advantage of a double jump canceled attack is that it can actually be lower than a short hop.

-AlphaZealot, http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749
Now, while I realize what I am about to say is not only NOT character specific, but it also does not make the jump lower than a short hop. So, before I go on, know that I am calling it a double jump cancel, but it is different from the melee definition.

First, I don't have a video, seeing as I wanted to include this in my tutorial video(s) but... it's really hard to notice without some sort of visual evidence. I will hopefully get working on the tutorial video this weekend so, hold out for a wee bit longer.

All you need to know is that there are two types of landings you can do in the game: a soft landing and a hard landing. You can see for yourself if you do a short hop and land vs doing a full hop and land. The landing animation is different and a hard fall has a longer animation than a soft one.

This can be seen in a lot of characters up Bs as well. Like DK when he slides and hits the ground or when he lands fine. Also with D3 when you cancel the up B and land you will do a quick recovery but when you cancel it right by the ground you will do a hard landing, and all of us have seen and REALLY HATE D3's hard landing after his up B. It sucks. Anyway, to understand fully what I am about to say, know that there are two types of landing that ARE NOT landing lag from an aerial move. It is just standard landing that, in this game, has two types.

The point is, everyone has noticed how awesome D3's up and down air attacks are, but the biggest problem I've noticed is the fact that it can't auto-cancel. Landing with your hammer in the ground with D3 sad after a short hopped dair isn't my favorite thing to do. So, I found a way around it.

You can do two things:

1. You can do a full hop. If you full hop and perform the dair or uair as you are leaving the ground (aka, Rising Dair, etc) You will have a hard landing but you will be able to input any button on frame 5, aka, you won't be punished. On Battlefield you can full hop auto cancel onto the platforms, but it will be a soft landing (being able to input on frame 2).

2. You can do what I have termed a "double jump cancel." This is easiest to do with tap jump on. You short hop, flick the control stick up for a second jump but cancel the momentum by pushing down or up on the c-stick right after (do not hold the c-stick down, you will fast fall). You will do a dair or uair that is a shorter jump height than a full hop but taller than a short hop, allowing you to auto cancel it. This will be a soft landing (input allowed on frame 2). I do not play with tap jump on but you can tap the jump button twice and pull it off, it just feels awkward at first. I set another button to jump so I can hit on jump button and then the other just as fast as with tap jump on.

I see many D3 players getting punished for short hopping dairs and uairs so I wanted to point this out to you guys now. If you don't get it, I'll make a quick video so you have the visuals you need but, if you guys kind of understand, I'll just make the video this weekend.

Enjoy!

Buuman

Smash Ace
I've been doing this for awhile. It's a decent tech but nothing major. Someone else posted this a few months back actually. But good info anyway

Vayseth

Smash Master
I more did it because I didn't like the other post, and while making this video, I wanted people to know the specifics of the landing animations. Maybe because I've worded it a bit better, more people will try to use it, especially since I see D3 players get punished for this left and right.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Vayseth, glad to see you around the Dedede boards again. I've seen you posting a bit recently, but there was a long period where you were (seemingly) not here.

While it may be "old", I still don't see many Dededes using this, so some new players could probably benefit from this, or anyone that missed it the first time. I actually had forgotten about this, and I didn't know previously about the hard and soft landings, or at least didn't think too much of it.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Yeah, funny story. I went in and out of brawl so many times since it came out. I played Olimar almost exclusively because I would win doubles with him and I couldn't stand the top tiers so I pretty much dropped out unless someone needed a doubles partner. Then at this one tournament someone was like, "OMG, aren't you that Dedede player?! I love your videos!" And I'm like, I haven't played Dedede since I made those videos. So, that, along with SamuraiPanda convinced me to go back and try and reinvent Dedede a bit and I have no idea why I ever left D3. But yeah, I'm back and I will be for a long time =)

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Play Dedede because he's awesome, not because he's top tier. =)

Glad to hear, maybe we can actually get some positive movement around here, the poor Dedede boards have fallen into a pit of redundancy.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Don't worry, I'll help it out.

My friend told me that I might be the most famous D3 player and I don't even play D3. From the thousands of people who watched my vid and my matches against themann XD That kind of got me to bring him back XD

Top Bottom