• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Killing with ROB?

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I cannot for the life of me kill my opponent before 160 or higher. Most of his good kill moves are slow as heck (Bair, usmash) Situational (dthrow confirms gross, side b), or don't kill until well beyond a decent kill percent (uthrow), I guess ROB's offstage gameplay is stupid good now but I don't think that anyone's offstage game ever pulled weight against anyone who can actually recover like mewtwo or MK

Am I missing something with ROB or is his kill power actually worse than that of smash 4 villager?

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Use the side b offstage. R.O.B gets a ton of his kills edgeguarding. I don’t know much about him but I know side b is a good combo finisher that can kill along with other offstage options

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Use the side b offstage. R.O.B gets a ton of his kills edgeguarding. I don’t know much about him but I know side b is a good combo finisher that can kill along with other offstage options
Hey! This is my territory go back to the land of Pk spam lol jk anyways ya this is good advice also thare is a 0 to death combo with that it involves.... you know what just watch the video https://youtu.be/eYUohOTqn7g also there is nair carrying dair spiking uair kills off the top at lower than expected percents bair kills off stage it is one of the most low risk high reward attacks in the game so you might just be timing it wrong tbh i don't get how you're having trouble with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Hey! This is my territory go back to the land of Pk spam lol jk anyways ya this is good advice also thare is a 0 to death combo with that it involves.... you know what just watch the video https://youtu.be/eYUohOTqn7g also there is nair carrying dair spiking uair kills off the top at lower than expected percents bair kills off stage it is one of the most low risk high reward attacks in the game so you might just be timing it wrong tbh i don't get how you're having trouble with it.
Gotta step out of PK land every once in a while lol. I read every viable and relevant character’s sub forums and watch a bunch of videos on how to play them. If I learn how to play them and know their strategies and what they’re trying to do beating them becomes much easier

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Why is bair so good

D

Deleted member

Why is bair so good
Because when it activates it blows you backwards which makes it harder to punish and since it is primarily a tool for off stage R.O.B can just use that amazing recovery of his to get back to the stage but it sucks on stage tho

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Down throw up air or usmash depending on how theyre mashing.
lol
Because when it activates it blows you backwards which makes it harder to punish and since it is primarily a tool for off stage R.O.B can just use that amazing recovery of his to get back to the stage but it sucks on stage tho
Is it safe on shield or something I remember reading somewhere that it is

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Some of the most common confirms are utilt > uair, various ledge traps with gyro, or simply sniping them with laser or gyro off-stage (I feel like R.O.B.'s launch angles have been altered to match better with laser. I've been having a really easy time landing lasers all the way out to the blast zones, something I could very rarely get in Smash 4). Side B is also a really powerful option that can take a stock on a whiff punish.

If you're looking for a super-early stock, R.O.B. has a fairplane that can easily kill from 20% - 40% if the opponent can't recover from side blastzones. Works best on tall characters like Mewtwo, Cloud, Palutena, probably Marth/Lucina. Note that it isn't true, but if the opponent responds incorrectly they'll lose a stock.

There are two ways to set this up:
-Both characters grounded: Dash attack or Uthrow > Full hop fair > fair > (opponent can respond here) dj fair > fair.
-Opponent is approaching R.O.B. from above or standing on a platform above: Full hop fair > fair > (opponent can respond here) dj fair > fair.

Here's a video of this in action (Note: I backed off before the 4th fair and it still killed)

By now, you've carried the opponent all the way to the blast zone, but not quite killed them. Your recovery will bring you back to safety, if theirs can't they're dead. After the second fair, the opponent has a very short window to air dodge (or counter). If they miss that window or try to jump, they're dead.

As funny as it is to watch your opponent try and fail to get back to stage, this is neither stylish nor 100% effective. I need to lab this out more to find a finisher. Launching a gyro is a bad call; if your gyro is in their hand or on stage, R.O.B.'s "gyro not found does not compute" animation lags long enough that you'll probably die before up B can be activated. Side B isn't guaranteed and also has a lot of lag; while you'll be able to recover, you'll be doing so by burning a lot of gas underneath an opponent who is just now realizing they're dead but might be able to take you down with them. Nair might work, haven't tried yet. If you're holding a gyro, I think you could z-drop-catch it on each fair, then throw it at the end.

Last edited:

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
Against CPUs, a lot of our setups don't work since they perfect-mash and perfect-airdodge everything.

Against players online, down throw will combo into up-air starting around 50-60%, and will combo into down smash around 90-100%. Those are where I get most of my kills. Can also get some cheesy snipes with gyro / robo laser.

In terms of overall kill moves, they tend to be up smash, up air, and maybe runoff nair for gimping depending on the enemy.

Last edited:

NGW

Smash Cadet
I get a lot of my kills off of arm rotor. It's risky if they shield it, but it's easily one of our strongest tools now.

D

Deleted member

I get a lot of my kills off of arm rotor. It's risky if they shield it, but it's easily one of our strongest tools now.
And on top of that they decided to buff it in the new patch

JigglyIsAKirbyEcho

Banned via Warnings
You probably shouldn't, Bashing someone to death with a piece of Nintendo history would classify as not cool

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
You have to get more creative with ROB to get kills now. You can no longer rely on down throw confirms and you have to make use of his full toolkit, including edgeguarding and jablock setups. Let me share everything I know.

0-10%: You aren't going to kill starting at this percentage unless you hit the zero to death. I wouldn't fish for it, because it has to start with a very unsafe and punishable attack on shield.
10-40%: Once you hit 10%, back throw (and forward throw) starts to put opponents into tumble and you can start doing some neat jablock combos. Generally I would back throw, down tilt a couple of times, and then either dash attack and chase offstage with fair and potentially side b, or do jab 2 to try for a second tumble situation if you have enough room on the stage.
40%: Around here, jab starts putting opponents into tumble and you can get jablock setups off of this. N-air also begins to confirm into side b at the ledge for a kill, and side b offstage straight up kills many opponents. This N-air confirm can work for a while on heavier characters; it destroys the likes of Dedede and K Rool.
~55%: F-Air starts to setup for tumble here, and you can soon jablock into a forward smash for the kill. If you want to confirm the f-air, you can do it off of down tilt, which is a fairly safe frame 3 poke.
~90%: D-Tilt begins to chain across the stage here. You can use this to rack up a lot of percentage and get into edgeguard situations, and if you have a grounded gyro you can push them into it to confirm into any smash attack. This is my personal favourite kill confirm.
~120%: D-Tilt sends into tumble. If they don't tech, you can upsmash, and you can techchase upsmash for the kill.

General strategies:

1) Down Throw: This move is generally weak online, but works better in person when you can hear people mashing. At lower percents you're better going for F-Throw -> Dash Attack -> F-Air, U-Throw -> F-Air or B-Throw techchases, but at percents where U-Throw stops comboing you can begin to make use of this. That's not to say the bury is good - it's not - but it puts the fear in a lot of opponents and you can often just react to panic airdodges to confirm smash attacks. Against larger characters, you can up-tilt to catch them (mashing or not) and confirm into up-air on the majority of opponents. Against most, if you know they'll mash you should go for up-air. Generally you should never try to upsmash unless you know they can't or won't mash as they can escape it very early.

2) Ledge traps: Everyone knows about the Gyro-> Up Smash ledgetrap, as well as the spike setup. I've been having a lot of success also confirming gyro into side b, especially as I can move the side b offstage to catch opponents who stay on ledge.

3) Edge-guarding: ROB is godlike at this. Gyro and laser are fantastic snipes, especially fully charged. Side B will delete stocks if you catch them with it, but it's high commitment. Against some opponents like Falcon or Ganondorf, this is incredibly strong. Against others it's more difficult. If your opponent has a teleport recovery you can side B next to the ledge to 2 frame them without too much difficulty if they teleport to ledge (which they often do) - giving the choice of stage spiking or sending them out, depending on how good at teching you think they are. Side B catches any upwards recovery without a hitbox (Inkling, Dedede, Pichu, Olimar, DHD, etc) really well. ROB also has a very strong spike, which will delete predictable recoveries. Fox, Falco, and Wolf really suffer from this, and it kills very early.

Hopefully this helps a little. We lost the option to kill off of a grab for free this game, but it's worth it for all the other buffs we received.

- - -

On the Side B "buff", all they've done is make the hits link better so that certain opponents don't fall out of it as easily. For example, the grounded version now hits Pichu with the finisher, which it didn't before. It's mostly a bug fix if anything.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
can anyone test if side b pokes shields or not
Only if the opponent's shield is less than half strength, and Arm Rotor barely does any shield damage so don't count on it to shrink it. If you don't get the poke you'll get smash-punished, but if you do you might get a kill. High-risk, high-reward.

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
If your opponent has a teleport recovery you can side B next to the ledge to 2 frame them without too much difficulty if they teleport to ledge
.....That works? Since when? I thought Arm Rotor didn't hit anywhere near that low.

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
Oh, another thing about gyro setups, is that if you're doing the up-smash setup, you pretty much just always roll towards the stage and up-smash after throwing the gyro down. Most of the time they see the gyro on the ledge and do a roll up, which puts them right into position for up-smash anyway.

So even if the gyro doesn't hit, you still cover roll-up too. I think get up attack and ledge jump are the only options gyro trap doesn't cover.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
.....That works? Since when? I thought Arm Rotor didn't hit anywhere near that low.
You have to walk off-stage and side b next to the ledge - sorry if I wasn't clear! The timing is (relatively) generous because of the slight stall side B gives though.

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
You have to walk off-stage and side b next to the ledge - sorry if I wasn't clear! The timing is (relatively) generous because of the slight stall side B gives though.
Yeah, you'd need to read the timing on their teleport pretty well, since you drop like a rock when using Arm Rotor offstage.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Yeah, you'd need to read the timing on their teleport pretty well, since you drop like a rock when using Arm Rotor offstage.
The timing isn't that hard, especially if you practice it - which you.should for any character without a hitbox on their recovery.

Top Bottom