• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Killing Power

Staco

Smash Champion
Why are there people, who have problems with MKs killing power
1. he is an edgeguard character
2. if he would have more killing power plus the other aspects he would be over the top tiers
no character can be good in everything, and so mk isnt the best in killing, but with edgeguard you can easy kill your opponent
3. why did metaknights often win in torunaments? Oo look gimpyfish
if he would be this bad, why gimpyfish wins this tournaments with him?

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
I have no problem with Meta Knight's killing power. Characters can't be good at everything and like you pointed out, he plays differently from other characters. If you don't like him and his fighting style, switch to another character.

legendganon

Smash Cadet
He would make a good team partner along with Bowser/Ganon or people with good kill power.

Kuroneko

Smash Apprentice
Who needs killing power when meta can do crazy stuff like in the OP's signature. To me, his edgeguard is his killing power. It's more elegant than any smash that you hope doesn't get shielded and more fun.

Dry Bones

Smash Ace
i never thought meta knight had a lot of problems regarding killing power... he just cant knock people off the stage at 80% like, you know, dedede or snake or someone like that. but what do people expect?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
metaknight has HORRIBLE trouble getting kos, it's really bad, put him up against a heavy character like dedede or snake and he has a lot of trouble.

*sigh*

metaknight's moves are ALL so weak T-T

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
metaknight has HORRIBLE trouble getting kos, it's really bad, put him up against a heavy character like dedede or snake and he has a lot of trouble.

*sigh*

That's were I am going to disagree. Yeah its bad when you carelessly spam his down smash, but before diminishing returns effect it, it can kill around 130% easy.

Staco

Smash Champion
gimpy, metaknight is not bowser, omgplz
if he would kill at 70 procent he would be hyper ultra mega tier xD

Gray

Smash Journeyman
Lolz @ using Gimpyfish as an example to why MK has good killing power when he's stated many times before that his killing power is bad.

benman

Smash Rookie
i'm pretty sure 130% kills AT BEST is a pretty horrible kill move
Yes but not if he can get them there extremely fast with all of his combo abilities. I disagree with him not getting ko's easy either. To me it looks like, at times, there are many times were you could UB or F-Smash or D-Smash to get an easy ko out of the way with MK.

benman

Smash Rookie
You're right, I don't own it but I have played it. He seems like a pretty easy character to use. I don't see why people think he will have trouble KOing people. I didn't seem to have a problem.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think what you have to do to get kills is literary slash the opponent from off the stage to off the screen via combos with aireals. That might be a good Meta Knight kill strategy. You can call it Knight Off! (twas a joke) :grin: Ya, that's just a guess, but it would be intresting to try. *hint hint*

Drack

Smash Apprentice
I have the game.

Gimpy is right that mk is difficult to kill with compared to other characters.

He also has extremely little lag before and after moves, is hard to punish because of this, and can edgeguard better than most.

MK is balanced.

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
I have the game.

Gimpy is right that mk is difficult to kill with compared to other characters.

He also has extremely little lag before and after moves, is hard to punish because of this, and can edgeguard better than most.

MK is balanced.
Very nice and it makes sense. At least he is not impossible to kill with.

benman

Smash Rookie
Yeah, good point. He's definitly going to be my first choice in characters but when I actually own the game we will see how it goes.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I've played 15+ hours of Metaknight, and I can say that two common ways to kill are:

A) Knocking an opponent either high enough or close enough to the edge and then hitting with the appropriate part of the Shuttle Loop.

B) Using spontaneous Neutral Airs when an opponent is off stage in an attempt to mess up their recovery. (Substitute Down Smash if you don't have time to leave the stage.)

When opponents have recoveries that put them high in the air, or often return to the stage high anyway, the best way to deal with them is to use either Up Airs or the Mach Tornado to add damage and set them up for the first killing option I stated. (A)

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772

*sigh*

You're doing it wrong then. It's not that bad.

chillindude829

Smash Master
its no secret that metaknight doesn't have really strong KO moves but i think it's made up for by the fact that he's retardedly fast and his combos are ridiculous

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
vidjogamer (5:22:30 AM): Fsmash: 110%
Dsmash(Front): 128%
Dsmash(Back) : 112%
UpSmash(all hits): 141%

Up B (Grounded, vertical): 136%
Up B (Arial, horizontal): 163%
Down B (Grounded): 158%
Down B (Arial): 156%

Nair (first hit): 126%

UpThrow: 169%
BThrow: 205%
vidjogamer (5:22:35 AM): those are meta knights

this is for killing marth in the center of FD in training mode without DI

comparatively, marths F smash center hit kills at like 128 or 129 >__>, rivaling the horizontal power of metas weaker down smash, even tho metas down smash sends a good steep angle

Staco

Smash Champion
or maybe metaknight is just really weak and your friends dont know how to recover reasonably lol
or you dont know hot to edgeguard!!! <<
all my friends say metaknight is very very very good!!!!!!!!
and better than marth!

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
or you dont know hot to edgeguard!!! <<
all my friends say metaknight is very very very good!!!!!!!!
and better than marth!
watch what you're saying, Gimpyfish is not a random noob.. and also, if 90% of people answer that metaknight has a hard time killing people it means that most likely your friends don't know how to recover reasonably rather than Gimpy being unable to edgeguard. Also if you think meta can kill very well it's just an opinion, not necessarely the truth.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
or maybe metaknight is just really weak and your friends dont know how to recover reasonably lol
That's a lot of words for the equivalent of 'no u.' He's got a lot of options on his plate for pressuring people offstage, and his downsmash comes out extremely quick with decent killing power.

HellSingULH

Smash Apprentice
The Killing power of metaknight is not bad at all...He use the D-smash and the F-smash to killl the opponent. Some opponents like Marth, metaknight, link, toon link, peach, Diddy and others Die with 130% or 140% with the D-smash and using the F-smash they KO with 110 or 120 deppending the weigh of the other characters. In the air...it has 2 kill attacks ; F-air and N-air. With Fair they are KO in 120% or 125% and with nair, with 100% or 110% in the edge guardin position. Now, some opponents like Bowser, Snake, Dk, Rob, Dedede, charizard and other Die with 150% or 160% with the D-smash and with 130% or 140% using F-smash.

Metaknight has some problems at the time to kill the opponent, but it has a lot of attacks that hit with a high percent, like Battack (33%), Uair attacks and finishinf with the Fair or Bair (44%), and others, so he doesn´t has a lot of trouble to give some % to the opponents :p.

Cyas :D!

RazeveX

Smash Ace
yes, i have the game.

MK can kill fine, its just getting into those situations that can be hard.

Even edgeguarding can be difficult when opponents simply jump over you (opponents usually have 1 big midair jump, which allows them to jump higher and faster than mk can in that short time).

Although its very easy to kill using the nair while they recover (if you land it). Dair also is good because it does not knock the opponents up, just to the side.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
When an opponent attempts to jump over you while recovering, try jumping back slightly, and following with the Shuttle Loop. It's legit.

note: The Shuttle Loop's priority can be poor compared to other character's down and foward airs, and it's power becomes very poor after 3 to 4 uses, so plan your hits with it well.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
From what I've actually seen it seems to me that Metaknight's entire game is getting the opponent in the air and then pushing them off the stage. I doubt it will be long until Metaknight's edgegaurding will be comparable to Fox's Shine-Guarding from Melee.

Heck, the guy can glide off the stage to where his opponent will fall after being knocked off the stage AND beat him there. Attack him. Jump around as much as he wants. Then either Up-B back, use any of his other B moves to recover to the edge to immediately repeat the process.

All-in-all if Metaknight could knock opponents off the stage to that degree at low percentages... I don't even want to talk about it.

Oh and let's not forget the little freak has two glides. -_- He'll be a tough one to beat at high levels of play so let's not pretend Metaknight has killing power. Ok?

Roscoewolf

Smash Cadet
I'm Pretty interested in Meta-Knight , but from what i see in videos his reach is a little to **** short for me personally, when i first knew he was in the game i thought w00t new main, but i've yet to try em out for a solid opinion.
He does seem to have a nice sweet spot tho! 0_0

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
YEah, I don't see problems with his killing power. He owns the airspace beyond the ledge!!

(NYC)Fab

Smash Journeyman
I don't even understand how there can be a debate about his killing power. His killing power is so low thats what makes him a hard character to use in single play in teams he could be very very good cause he racks up so much damage. Anyway there really should not be a debate bout this his killing power isn't that good at all period I play against people who use dedede and dk so I have some trouble getting kills, but for the most part against normal characters I still have trouble ko'ing with him. I dunno who y'all are playing but they cant DI for **** if ya not having problems killing them and the fact that he can die really quick from a strong hit at certain % that is fairly low compared to the rest of the cast doesn't help him much either. I like what Razevex said also pretty much getting into to those positions to kill isn't that easy its really hard.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
Can we make a concensus and agree that Meta can indeed egdeguard, but has limited abilities in the area of knocking them off to the point where there is an explosion on the side of the screen.

Top Bottom