• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kill Setups

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
So I am getting kills eventually, but usually at really high percents. I see some opportunities to land up b and solarbeam. What are some guaranteed kill setups I'm unaware of at this time?

:018:

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
Hmm, there's nair usmash if you land before the last hitbox of nair, and at higher than 100, the hitbox at the bottom of uair will make grounded opponents do a little bounce with quite a lot of hitstun. Usmash is faster than sh immediate uair, but uair is more powerful if you sweetspot it. So if you feel like you can go for it instead, there's that. Both nair and uair spike greatly depend on the opponent's weight and DI though.

Uthrow, dthrow, fair, dtilt, utilt and dash attack setup both upB and solar beam depending on the %.

But tbh I get most of my kills with bair lmao.

Let me know if I missed anything, landing the killmoves has always been my main problem in Smash.

Last edited:

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Bair -> dash -> RAR bair -> dash -> RAR bair -> bair -> double jump bair is definitely the most salt-inducing. Be aware that the inner hitbox of bair is actually really strong.

Dsmash sends at an absurd angle. Worth mentioning.

Dtilt into upsmash if they suck at DI.

Vine whip is probably my most-used kill move. Dthrow/uthrow into upb, fair upb, uair upb, seed bomb space control into upb, read the jump away from razor leaf into upb... Also, in most cases it is more effective to go for upb early (low % off throws, for example) and put them offstage, rather than giving them some more damage and resetting to neutral. Ivy has one of the most potent off-stage games of anyone in the cast.

Conji

Smash Student
against link i prefer to use a lot of back airs and suggest just zoning him out with razor leaf and your range. To kill link is another question, getting in his range is dangerous and but a nicely timed FSmash can do it, but i do not have a ton of experience versus a good Link player so don't quote me on that.

Last edited:

Sleepyhead

Smash Rookie
Personally, I'd use Razor Leaf to clank his projectiles and approach. As for killing, a throw or a back air can get him off the stage and edgehogging while throwing out back airs works wonders.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
The boomerang doesn't clank with razor leaf. However, it does clank with arrows and reflects Link's bombs in razor leaf's direction.
However, any good link will throw boomerang before anything else.

It's a thought, but I wouldn't rely on it. I fought a lot of Links this weekend, throwing out razor leaf carelessly doesn't work.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Link is a pain in the ass. I haven't figured out TL yet, but your general gameplan vs Link should be aggro/CQC. You can't really leaf, seed bomb is good though. BAN stages with mainly horizontals (smashville, FD, PS2, etc). Try to nair more in general, you can link fair->nair easily and that leads to seed bomb traps or more nairs. Don't pressure his shield at high %, you'll eat an UpB OoS and getting hit by those blows. Don't cross him up unless you land way behind him, he has that stupid backwards grab hitbox (and upB and usmash). Shield pressuring this character is pretty dangerous in general, so be confident or just seed bomb/leaf and go for more abstract pressure and followups.

You out-everything him at the ledge, so camp with fair and leaf and force him to back off until you regain some footing, be wary of FH dair against you at the ledge though, which will beat you if you go on autopilot with fairs.

I don't know the %s to throw into vine whip against Link offhand. Dthrow puts him in a terrible position for most %s, but throw him offstage whenever you can. He'll be forced to go high or eat a (RAR) bair, which you can just spam until he dies or grapples. One cool thing is to grapple UNDER Link as he recovers, wait for his UpB or grapple, and take advantage of Ivy's superfast reel-in to get the ledge before him. If he's still grapped, drop->nair to drag him to hell, else just do whatever you feel is a good punish (bair and WL grab come to mind.

Don't be above him if possible.

Link is very frustrating, feel free to hang back and watch how he chooses to throw his arsenal at you. You have more time than he does (I don't know if this makes sense). Don't fall for dash attack. If he jabs you, hold shield+cstick away to avoid the inevitable grab (I mean, mix it up, but that stuff is mega guaranteed against a lot of characters so Links will look for it). If he dthrows you at low %, I'm pretty sure you can nair before he utilts or regrabs.

Dtilt clanks with rang and bombs. Not sure about arrows. Try not to get hit by any of those things, because the followups are VERY easy for Link. Getting hit by rang SUCKS, omfg.

I dunno man. Link is really dumb.

Last edited:

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Hey Swann, you can also hit him with full jump fair because he's really tall, if you can get above him at a 45 degree angle it's good safe pressure.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Just spend a while messing around with Link and boomerang. That thing is mad safe, try to powershield it if possible. I actually am in awe of that projectile. I hope it gets nerfed as hard as leaf. Probably the most braindead thing in the game as of this moment.

@ The Derrit The Derrit yeah I was definitely trending toward that. I think the average fair chain was 3-4 successive fairs after hit-confirming the first, so don't be afraid to go for those. I was right that Dtilt clanks with rang but it's hard to time properly and he can just throw it again (this character...). Jab doesn't seem to clang with rang but I might just be bad. Jab seems better for bombs, though, putting them directly in front of you.

I got a ton of dtilt pokes into nair/fair, which often led into more stuff.

Seed bomb is very very useful. Platforms are good in general. Leaf is definitely not very useful unless you can catch him coming down.

Spin attack at the ledge is a "safe" option... if you attack his shield. When he approaches the ledge, either hit him preemptively or get invincibility and airdodge up and through if he shields, preferably toward or onto a platform. Alternatively, WL on and shield the hit, then usmash or something.

He gets free utilt after grabs unless you airdodge or nair but typically it looks like the utilt is just absolutely free. DI didn't seem to matter. I can't remember if I was able to reliably counter-hit him after getting grabbed

I was able to get a free neutral B pushback edgeguard if he misspaced his spin attack (I assume he was trying to catch me with it). Free stocks if they'll give them to you.

Last edited:

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
Actually, if the ceiling or side exits of the map are decently small or mid in size, the most effective kill setup with Ivy is as simple as Razor Leaf, ***, Grab & Pumble, Up Throw into Vine Whip. Of course, this is assuming your opponent doesn't have very precise DI and doesn't see it coming.

EmLeingod

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmLeingod
Do not give Link any space. SHFFL a nair or just shield through his wall (if you're really stuck a well timed RAR bair can usually break through), then full hop fair and you're golden. You can probably give him 40%+ from nair chains alone he's heavy so it works on him for a while. U-throw/D-throw into up-b works on him for a while(off the top of my head, I think like 60%-110ish%) and will probably kill around 80%-90% on most stages. His bomb-jump attempts should be ruined by offstage back airs. Tether recoveries can be easily punished with a nair, remeber no more invicibility on the reel-in. He has bad air speed so it's hard for him to escape your wrath/combos, especially seed bomb juggles.

You're spacing will not help you much in this MU, don't even try. Focus shutting down Link's powerful neutral game with nairs and fairs to get you in, and after that, up tilts, grabs back airs, so basically just the usual stuff.

Vino.

Been Vino since 2007
Well :link2: is combo food once you can get a grab. Such a bad weight, up throw early for up air chains

Top Bottom