• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kill finish options

That guy21

Smash Rookie
Recently I have been having a TON of trouble finishing off kills as lucario. I am almost always racking up the opponents damage to 150% plus before i finally get a kill. Once my opponent gets to high percentage the only options I really see for killing are nair and smashes, but I cannot land any smashes because any attacks i do to start a combo launch them to far away for me to land a smash.

TL;DR
How do you finish off kills once your opponent is at high %?

SilverAlloy

Smash Rookie
Side-b with an aura charge kills almost everything at 130%+ with good DI. He has several options to set up spikes, as well as down-throw/up-throw which set up into nair/sweetspot up-air in the early 100% range. Fair -> up-b cancel nair is also a strong option to kill at lower %s. And if they reach over 150% range outside of kill setups, Lucario has a superb edgeguard game to finish their stock that way, so just throw them off-stage with f-throw/b-throw.

That guy21

Smash Rookie
I think the fair>up b cancel nair is a good idea that I need to utilize more thanks. What you said about the grabs though, the upthrow to upair does work sometimes, but I can never get a downthrow combo setup at that percent unless they DI really poorly. Idk if its just me but it seems like theres a lot of endlag on the downthrow that prevents me from following up in time. Do you have this problem?

SilverAlloy

Smash Rookie
It's mostly a DI mixup when using d-throw. People I play a lot like to DI into me occasionally expecting me to up-throw, which sends them backwards and harder to follow up on. Conversely, once they start DIing into me to avoid up-throw killing, I start to use d-throw, which sets up perfectly for killing with that type of DI. D-throw is also actually really strong at killing spacies, since you can occasionally end a string or chain grab with d-throw -> sourspot dash attack -> d-smash. Hopefully this answers your question.

Top Bottom