• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Kid Icarus, the Protagonist of SSB4?

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
Don't forget Anthony Higgs, Adam Malkovich, Sylux, and all the Hunters and enemies as ATs.
I'd rather be dead than see Anthony as a playable character for Smash. Same goes for Adam. Dark Samus is acceptable, Ridley if they manage to fit and balance him. The Prime Hunters, Rundas, Gandrayda and Ghor don't really deserve to be in it because they only appeared in one game. But Kreatz, Houston and Mauk could be put in a game then taken to Smash.

I don't know, at this point a Chozo or even Adam (the ship) are an option.

Kurttronic

Smash Rookie
Probably Sakurai bias.
Uprising had a lot of "idols" ,which were basically trophies, and I noticed some were ripped directly from Uprising.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I don't consider pit to be the "protagonist", but he and palutena seem to be the "narrators" in the wii u version, a la snake in the original brawl trainer and the codecs.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I've more or less gotten over the amount of trophies. Smash Run enemies and Dark Pit's inclusion, but I do find it ridiculous how much effort was put into Palutena's custom moves compared to the other characters. And then to add insult to injury, she gets all her moves unlocked from the start while the others require hours of Classic Mode grinding.

And don't give me any of that "oh, well KI:U has tons of moves, so it makes sense for them to be in the game" malarkey because none of that attention was given to other characters that have equally diverse moves and abilities. Mario and Link have had tons of different moves and items in their dozens of games, so why don't they get to use them too?

I also don't think its a coincidence that Kirby and Kid Icarus were picked for the honor of having the biggest stages in Smash history, but that's a separate topic entirely.
That's Palutena's gimmick. Like Megaman's projectiles or Fox's glass-cannon-y-ness.

You want the giant stages? Ick, take them.

If Sakurai really loved Pit as much as you say he wouldn't have nerfed him so hard
You're the only person saying that...

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
Dedede is actually the protagonist of Subspace Emissary and therefore Brawl. The game tricks you into thinking he's one of the antagonists doing bad things when he is actually trying to save everyone.
it's worth pointing out that DDD being a red herring isn't unique to Brawl... that's actually happened in the Kirby series, what with DDD stealing the star rod, not explaining why.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
it's worth pointing out that DDD being a red herring isn't unique to Brawl... that's actually happened in the Kirby series, what with DDD stealing the star rod, not explaining why.
"I say, well, I SAY! 'Um gonna steal dis hea' star rod!"

I'd main the ****ing hell out of Dedede if he was given his southern persona...

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
"I say, well, I SAY! 'Um gonna steal dis hea' star rod!"

I'd main the ****ing hell out of Dedede if he was given his southern persona...
If both Dedede had his southern voice and Meta Knight had his spanish voice, that would be great.

(Though I do like Meta Knight's voice anyway)

S2

Smash Lord
While there is a fair amount of representation from Sakurai's own games, I'm fairly certain the mass amount of Kid Icarus stuff is only because it was easy to import over. Besides the roster addition of Palutena and clone Pit, there really isn't that much more KI stuff than other games in the actual gameplay.The influx of Uprising trophies is probably just to boost the trophy count. It's an easy way to get a lot more collectibles without the need to build lots of new models from scratch.

As for DDD, he's never really been evil. He's the series main antagonist mostly because he's greedy and jealous, but he's meant to be silly and his schemes aren't usually intended as malicious. Kirby games do feature a number of evil enemies such as the Nightmare, DDD usually ends up being a good guy in the end if he's featured in these games.

Khao

Smash Lord
Brawl was the game that pretty much spawned everything in the current form of Kid Icarus. I still say it's reasonable for it to make it back where it came from.

You can see it in Uprising everywhere, some things almost feel like they were being tested for Smash in the future right down to the interface, the randomized equipment, the powers, the difficulty balance. It was all extremely Smash friendly.

Lots of people talk about the inclusion of a lot of KI elements because "Sakurai's baby," but when you think about it, Kid Icarus Uprising very likely wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for Smash. The two games are heavily connected in many ways.

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
two game franchise
Kid Icarus: Of Myth and Monsters would like to have a word with you.
On topic, Sakurai has overtreated lesser known franchises (to an extent, also correct me). Mother had 2 stages in Brawl despite having only 1 Game in NA and the other 2 known by none outside of Japan (except a lot of gamers). It even got the biggest stage in the game! Mr. Game & Watch got a stage and a character, and if I asked someone on the street who played SSBB where Mr. Game and Watch came from, they'd say "I dunno."

cue the replies who cuss at me for giving slightly incorrect / slightly correct info.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Yes, it is Super Mario Fighting Uprising Leafgreen/Firered edition.

But it's still fun and other characters get a decent representation.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather be dead than see Anthony as a playable character for Smash. Same goes for Adam. Dark Samus is acceptable, Ridley if they manage to fit and balance him. The Prime Hunters, Rundas, Gandrayda and Ghor don't really deserve to be in it because they only appeared in one game. But Kreatz, Houston and Mauk could be put in a game then taken to Smash.

You know, if Sakurai is dead set on Ridley being unworkable as a playable character, Chozo could work...

Raido

Smash Apprentice
IHow can Dark Samus not be a character because she would have to be a clone when she has so many unique attacks, while Dark Pit gets his own place?
Wow, people still ask this stupid question? Clones exists because they don't take much time, work and money to be completed. Asking why there isn't a more unique character in the game instead of the clone is just silly. The character roster was done, and the clones are added as a little bonus.

And Dark Samus would be the 3rd "Samus". I know she isn't really Samus, and I would have no problem with Dark Samus as a character, but people would complain that there are 3 Samus' but no Ridley...

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Now that I think about it, it would be weird to have the Hunters trophies on WiiU and not on 3DS. But it's going to go down like that isn't it LOL

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

That didn't stop Robin, Lucina, Dark Pit and a few other characters from appearing Smash. I am not saying they deserve to be in, but I would take playable Gandrayda or Rundas over Adam Malkovich, Anthony Higgs or no character at all. Ideally, Ridley or Dark Samus should be the second Metroid rep (Zamus still is Samus), but they are technically deconfirmed at this point.

Edit: I don't know why some people here even bother posting in the thread. "Hurr another Sakurai bias thread amiright guisse?" It is plain obvious that Sakurai is biased toward his own works and a lot of people dislike the amount of Kid Icarus (and Kirby) content he puts in Smash. Does that mean those two franchises are bad franchises? No, but at least Kid Icarus IS over-represented in Smash 4, which is a shame, because the only thing Sakurai is achieving is making some people dislike the Kid Icarus franchise.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
That didn't stop Robin, Lucina, Dark Pit and a few other characters from appearing Smash. I am not saying they deserve to be in, but I would take playable Gandrayda or Rundas over Adam Malkovich, Anthony Higgs or no character at all. Ideally, Ridley or Dark Samus should be the second Metroid rep (Zamus still is Samus), but they are technically deconfirmed at this point.

Edit: I don't know why some people here even bother posting in the thread. "Hurr another Sakurai bias thread amiright guisse?" It is plain obvious that Sakurai is biased toward his own works and a lot of people dislike the amount of Kid Icarus (and Kirby) content he puts in Smash. Does that mean those two franchises are bad franchises? No, but at least Kid Icarus IS over-represented in Smash 4, which is a shame, because the only thing Sakurai is achieving is making some people dislike the Kid Icarus franchise.
Only people he's making people hate KI are the childish ones that feel the need to complain, which isn't that many.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Robin and Lucina were major characters in their game. Gandraya and Rundas were bosses with slightly more character development. I do agree that Dark Samus should be a character. Prime is criminally unrepresented. Also, I'd rather have nothing than acknowledge Other M.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Robin and Lucina were major characters in their game. Gandraya and Rundas were bosses with slightly more character development. I do agree that Dark Samus should be a character. Prime is criminally unrepresented. Also, I'd rather have nothing than acknowledge Other M.
One of these days, I will somehow convince Nintendo to let me direct a Metroid game, only to have a story that makes Other M's story non-canon.

Top Bottom