• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Keeping 3DS Versions after getting a Wii U?

backwardinduction

Smash Rookie
I'm planning on buying a Wii U at some point in the next couple of months, and I'm considering trading in my smash 3DS version to bring some extra value in for the massive cash dump that will occur when I eventually buy one. Right now I can get about $27.50 from gamestop for it, but that could go down in the next two months..

My question for you guys is:

Is there any point to keeping the 3DS version after getting a Wii U and the better and easier to control Wii U version? I mean I just play for fun, but aim to be somewhat comp level. I wouldn't get any mileage playing the game during travel or anything because most of the time I just play online matches against other people.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
I personally have decided to keep it - when it arrived, my excitement was just too high!!!

Also, my friends don't have Wii Us, so if I want to play them online, I need the 3DS version if they're not over at mine playing the Wii U one.

It's an entirely personal decision, and it really depends on what you'll get with the money. It could go towards Smash Wii U, or other Wii U games, like Mario Kart, Wind Waker, or any 3DS game that you want. It's probably the best option, but don't rush into it! Good luck!

ToxicWolf1132

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToxicWolf1132
I'd keep it. Having smash on the go means you never have to stop playing....I think I have a problem

Liam Kneeson

Shows His Moves
NNID
BakedGiraffe
3DS FC
2724-0393-4056
I'd keep it, DS version still is pretty good. You could always trade it to a friend or to a shop for an equivalent game in the future.

Drippy

Smash Ace
I'd keep the 3DS version, as others have said, you can play it on the go and be practicing when you're not home and not everyone has a Wii U either so it's nice to break out the 3DS to practice against some people on the 3DS if they don't have a Wii U.

Goulmania

Smash Cadet
NNID
Goulmania
Personally I kept it because "smash on the go" is my dream since I was a little boy :)

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I definitely kept the 3DS version of the game because I've always wanted to have a Smash Bros. game on the road. I would break **** up if I chose to sell it and then regret it.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Keep it like others said. Smash 3ds is great by itself. It honestly holds up on content as much as melee (no special but we have customs. No event but we have smash run and group modes) and brawl (challenges, trophies, more characters, new trophy rush, ect...) but it's hard to scale and compare with it's losses and advantages. Still not as much as the Wii U, but you can't really take it and play anywhere you want.

The beneficial part about keeping the 3ds version other than playing it anywhere is once you get the Wii U version, you can send custom characters to the Wii U from the 3ds and also use the 3ds as a controller if necessary. You can also train on the 3ds while you wait to get the Wii U and smash for Wii U.

3ds also has smash run so that is either a small or big reason to keep it (depending whether you like it or not, personally more fun than smash tour.)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sometimes it gets a bit repetitive playing the same stages on the Wii U version over and over again so playing the ones on the 3DS version sometimes feels like quite a refreshing change of pace, even when I'm at home. I'd say keep it too.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
3ds means I can play with my online friends that only have the 3ds version.

Also smash on the go is great for long bus rides, and not something I have to invest as much time in as other 3ds titles I have. I could just pop it out anytime and boom, battle.

Horrible startup time aside.

Wyverian

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-6896-8093
I would keep it. I'm not home all the time, with Work, and School, and having to take trains almost every morning. And too many of my co workers play Smash 4 3DS so having both is the best of both worlds to be honest. I mean its one thing if your like a highschooler or something xD

1amayzingman

Smash Cadet
NNID
1amayzingman
im keeping mine...no point in trading it to gamestop when god knows they'll give me a ****ty amount of in store credit back.

just because the wii u version is out doesn't mean the 3ds version isn't fun lol. The past few days ive been doing classic with all characters in my bed, which is pretty convenient lol

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Sometimes it gets a bit repetitive playing the same stages on the Wii U version over and over again so playing the ones on the 3DS version sometimes feels like quite a refreshing change of pace, even when I'm at home. I'd say keep it too.
This.

Both are great. Defiantly keep the 3DS version.

backwardinduction

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the replies everyone, and in case anyone was wondering, Gamestop will give be $27.50 for it, which is the same as what they'd take for skyward sword on the wii hahaha. I'll probably keep it like everyone says. I'm an employed college student so moneys not a huge deal, but still every little bit helps.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Whatever you do, don't trade it in. Sell it with "all the characters and stages unlocked" for almost full price on eBay.

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
You can use it to practice your skillz on the go, so I'd say keep it.

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
Good to see you're keeping it, I agree with essentially everyone else here. The game really does speak for itself, it's a remarkable achievement for Smash to be so good on a portable console and it's good practice for when you get Wii U Smash. Believe me, I've noticed an improvement in my own fighting and I'm a rather unremarkable fighter also.

Top Bottom