• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

keep falling off the smash mountain

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
this online is making me lose passion I once had for this game, I just can't get better ( i think i am getting worse). I played hundreds of hours with ridley watched videos and yet I am still at 290,000 thousand which is on par with the guys just picking up the game. I got it all the way up to 2.7 mil at one point but dropped to the current ranking not soon after. EXP supposed to make you better but it seems I am stuck at below mediocre.

some other issues:

1) I have died numerous time trying to recover but ridley does his space pirate grab despite me pressing the button to shoot up

2) there times I press a button and he does nothing or he performs an attack i did not press. I can not tell how many times he space grabbed instead of fireballs or the other way around

3)I wish gps used a point system were you gain points if you win and lose none if lose, you can view rankings on the record portion of the menu. I know it would prob work the same as gps but at least it makes it look like your not losing so much progress and you have to play catch up the rest of the time.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
1) ridleys recovery is very hard. I wonder why they made it so that he only has four directions.
2)Maybe there is something wrong with your Controller or the buffer system causes these errors.
3) I think that’s not a good idea as it promotes people who have more time than others. GSP should rise and fall depending on performance.
But something i agree on is that the current system sucks for some people because it rises and falls so quick on lower gsps. I would like an bronze silver gold .... system like rocketleague for example.

My suggestion is that you should focus on fun and improving instead of seeing your skill just as a number (GSP). If you play to get high numbers you will get frustrated fast because no one will always win. Thats how it is.

KIRBY MAIN

Smash Cadet
In response to the controller problem: Do you play with the joy-cons, switch pro controller, GameCube controller, etc.? If you’ve been playing on the same controller all this time, but have still been having those kind of issues, then you may need to try a different controller with better/different button layout, sensitivity, etc. But more importantly, do what Mischiii said, focus on having fun as opposed to winning, sometimes a watched pot never boils ;)

Prison

Smash Cadet
Aside from possibly controller mishaps and such, I would say not to base you skill levels off the online system. Here's why:

The win/lose ratio is horribly unbalanced. I have close to 2.7M on some of my main characters (ones that aren't in elite). If I win, I'm going up 90k-ish, if I lose, I'm going down near 400-500k. I would say, when I'm on point, I probably play around 2.9M level, but if I just lost 3 times, I'm getting matched against people who either did the same and/or are new and starting to climb the ladder.

Lack of communication causes Tilts: Whenever I play quick arena, I feel very removed, and the whole thing feels disingenuous. You have 2 options to communicate to your opponent, a tea bag, or other type of move, and the beginning/end taunt blurbs. Neither of which are easily read as being 'friendly'. As humans, we naturally want to progress, when we hit a problem, we ask for help. When someone destroys you and three stocks you, you have no way to talk it out, or ask for advice. You just go to the next game salty.

Typical lag and latency: Nintendo is historically bad for creating online gaming experiences, and in a game where it helps to have frame perfect response times, this will be taking affect.

People put too much pride in their GSP: People want elite smash, so they'll play janky rule sets to get there. 1 stock ganon, 3 stock 3min, items, smashballs, etc.. It doesn't matter how janky the rule set is, if you lose, you're still going to be losing your typical 3-500k.

My thought, if you want to get better, you need to be playing in a controlled environment that allows you to improve. My suggestion is to start looking around for local matches, go play friendlies, host voice chat lobbies, play people in discords. All of those have no weight on your GSP, they have better communication standards, and you can control it so you're always playing a fair rule set.

Top Bottom