• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KayLo!'s Snow Day To-Do List/Suggestion Thread.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Using this as a to-do list for the Pika boards + a suggestion thread where you guys can post anything you want done around here. Because I've been kinda lazy lately. :urg:

It won't all get done today, but I'll keep it updated and stuff.

- Update directory
- Update Generating A Win guide
- Write Olimar MU summary
- Write Diddy MU summary
- Write DDD MU summary
- Write G&W MU summary
- Write Luigi MU summary
- Post Marth MU thread
- Post ICs MU thread
- Post Ike MU thread
- Post G&W MU thread
- Post Luigi MU thread
- Update Pika tricks thread
- Wifi thread (Prime)
- Combine vid/critique threads
- Update/redo secondary thread (eh, not really necessary)
- Stage CP thread (ESAM)
- Reformat tourney results thread
- Reformat Q&A OP
- Start Pika social awards
- Plan Skype night

Keep in mind that if you wanna post a new thread, you don't have to ask permission or anything as long as it's related to Pika's metagame and isn't already being done. I have a lot of people asking for my okay first, but that's not really necessary -- just go for it!

Flawless Fan

Smash Hero
I think a stage CP thread would be awesome.
All I know is that Halberd is a good Pika stage. I read that somewhere. I think.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Yeah. We had a CP thread going in the Sonic boards for a while but it crashede and died cause we didn't care lol.

So what do you have in mind? List a character and discuss what stages are good/bad?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
All I know is that Halberd is a good Pika stage. I read that somewhere. I think.
Lol, it is.

Yeah. We had a CP thread going in the Sonic boards for a while but it crashede and died cause we didn't care lol.

So what do you have in mind? List a character and discuss what stages are good/bad?
Pretty much. We have a general stage discussion thread, but it's really outdated, not very helpful, and more about how Pika does on each stage in general.

This would be exactly what you said: we'll go through each character and list where we should CP them along with which stages we should consider banning.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
There is something I've been working on for a while. I've just been too lazy to finish it. :/

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Want me to make a basic CP stage that is character specific? I could do it generally, people can say their opinions, and then I can edit in reasons?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
@Terios: There's nothing really wrong with it, it's just really outdated. Pika's metagame's changed a bit since it was posted, so some things need to be edited, added, and removed.

It just needs to be cleaned up, not totally re-written.

And I don't like the color scheme anymore. =X And I can use the collapse codes to condense it a bit now.

EDIT: @ESAM: A basic what? Stage CP discussion?

EDIT #2: Yeah, that's fine if you wanna do that. Thanks ESAM!

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
So a wifi thread is just a thread to set-up wifi matches? I can make that. I can even make a wifi ranking system to makes things more fun.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
So a wifi thread is just a thread to set-up wifi matches? I can make that. I can even make a wifi ranking system to makes things more fun.
Sounds good!

I'll make a note that you're taking care of that and ESAM's gonna do the stage CP stuff.

Thanks guys.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Yeah, the Zeldas had a pretty good one too before it died.

And thanks for posting, Terios..... now I can post again. =P

What does everyone think about combining the video and critique threads? With Prime as the OP since Kitt's not really around anymore (plus I doubt he'd mind)..... and it'd be stickied still. I think it'd draw more attention to our vids in general, and there's no real reason for them to be separate.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
We do that in the Sonic boards and it works well. Keeps everything in one place.

Also you're welcome lol

I'd..like to help more but I severely lack matchup experience. :p

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
I like the idea of a wi-fi thread.
I also like the idea of combining the video and critique threads....I'm such a yesman.

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
- Combine vid/critique threads?
If you'll indulge this newbie a bit. Please don't. Personally I prefer them separated for two reasons. (Though it looks like I'm a little at odds with the majority here.)

1. I've seen some other boards that have combined them. It just looks like an unorganized mess. IMO, of course.
  2. Although they use the same medium to convey information (i.e. gameplay footage) and serve the same purpose (help other pikas get better through the experience of others). They go about it in two very fundamentally different ways that I don't think can be ignored (and thus, IMHO, justify the separation).

The Volt Tackle videos say, "This is how you do it right/this is Pikachu at the top of the metagame."
    The critique videos ask the question, "What am I doing wrong?"
    (Or at least, this is how I've seen their purpose.)

Once you put them together in the same thread, you lose that separation, and it gets harder to pull the relevant information (what I should[n't] be doing) without having to look at all the videos. Think of the newbie who is looking through the gameplay footage for some reason (e.g. researching for a main, looking for tricks they hadn't thought of), but doesn't know who the "big names" are of the Brawl Pikas. If they're looking for some top-level play, mixing any potential lower-level play/critique material is going to be distracting.

Is there a particular reason behind the desire for the merge (aside from, "they're both video threads, therefore they must be redundant"? If a merge does happen, I feel the concerns I've listed above should at least be taken into consideration.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
The Volt Tackle videos say, "This is how you do it right/this is Pikachu at the top of the metagame."
This isn't true at all. It's just a collection of Pika matches. I should make note in the thread of which players are pro though. Nothing is gonna change really, just pretend the video thread is a critique thread. The video thread gets no activity anyways. So why not combine them?

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
This isn't true at all. It's just a collection of Pika matches. I should make note in the thread of which players are pro though. Nothing is gonna change really, just pretend the video thread is a critique thread. The video thread gets no activity anyways. So why not combine them?
Ah, see, now the merge makes more sense, as one of my initial premises was wrong.

If this new merged thread looks anything like the sonic board's video thread (e.g. everything goes up on/near the OP), some kind of indexing along the Pika usage efficacy (still can't come up with a good term for this) might be something to consider, beyond just a naive sort by name/character matchup.

Another thought about separating the critiques/pro play: I think I remember looking at one of the other board's critique threads. They had it so that the critiqued video was linked from the OP, and then either the critiques themselves were C&Ped, linked or in some way located right next to the video links to help keep all the information co-located.

I kinda liked that idea, but I dunno.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
If they're combined, I would be against putting vids for critique in the OP anyway..... they're not put in the OP of the critique thread now, so there's no reason for them to be put in the OP of the new combined thread.

The OP would have only videos with solid Pika gameplay. However, instructions for posting your videos for critique would be there, clearly separated from the video archive itself.

I don't think it'll be too hard to separate the two, but I'll definitely take what you've said into consideration when/if I merge them.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Kloz, id like to see a luigi matchup thread. Galax made one that never got finished and i have trouble wth that MU, just wanted to see some more details on it since it gives me alota trouble.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
@Terios: How would we/Prime decide which videos are "pro" and which aren't, though? A lot of people are very borderline, and even pro players have vids that aren't that great (vice versa's also true).

@FZ: K, I'll make Luigi the second new MU thread.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I would say the Pros would be Anther, Z, Pikapika, myself, and maybe prime/bear. I haven't heard how they have done recently though to see if they are still up there.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I'll think about all this and talk it over with Prime when I merge the threads (which I've pretty much decided to do).

I'm gonna start on all this after I do a bit of cleaning. Hopefully this'll jumpstart a bit of activity around here!

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
The list is ~halfway done.... making good progress. =D

Wifi and counterpick stage threads are looking especially good. New video thread is up too.

One thing I've been thinking about is how to get more activity going on outside the social thread. A few people have complained that there isn't enough discussion going on in other threads, and I somewhat agree..... but I honestly have no idea how to fix that. You can't really force people to contribute if they don't want to.

From what I've seen/heard, most people don't post more (outside of PGD) for the following reasons:

1) Sheer laziness
2) Lack of experience/feeling like they have nothing important to contribute​

I know there isn't a ton to discuss anymore in terms of Pika's metagame, but I'd really like to encourage more activity around here. Ideas? Suggestions for how to make this happen? Does the majority even agree with this, or are the few people who've brought it up the only ones who feel this way?

We're definitely taking a step in the right direction with what we've done in the past few days -- just want to make sure we keep it going. :lick:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Give people INTERNET COOKIES for every good post they make

And give Kenny lashings until they contribute.

Chocolate milk is also a good incentive...

Anyway, to be productive, there really is no way to encourage people. You can't do any7thing to fix people's lazyness unless you live near them and can actually influence them. The people that want to be good players will read/try to post/try to understand. The people that are good will (hopefully) help (Even though I'm the only notable that posts). The people that don't care will not post and they will continue to fail at tournaments. Its self-motivation and you can't really do anything to make them better except critique their videos.

Roller

Smash Legend
Wayyyyy back in the day. Before your time KayLo!, we used to have nightly discussions in the oldest pikachu chat, before even the one that I owned (wasn't even hosted by xat). Over a couple weeks we basically discussed what stages to cp against every character, and the character MU vs each character. I remember that being really beneficial to everyone. I remember myself, badnewsbears, krehz, gallax, maybe esam?, piman, and I think stealth being the main contributors. But basically it was what we do these days in the matchup and stage discussion threads, but more interactive and allowed for everyone to raise their points and question other people's in a quick and efficient manner. They were fairly structured chats if I recall correctly. Each night we had some sort of agenda of matches/stages to get done.

Idk if you'd want to bring those back. Or how popular they'd be now, but just throwing it out there.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
ahhhh meebo the good ol days. yeah me and gallax ran them, and we posted our results in the thread. it was a good way to do it, just have a free for all, it got sorta hectic at times though

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It's easier in the thread. It allows the other characters to come over there too.

Also, since when do you and rollerking post here? You guys have been absent for soooo long.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
They've been back for a while now, lol. Where've you been?

I think normal threads are better for the current community, but the chat idea sounds really interesting as something to do on the side.... especially if we can log them and post them up as a kind of series. I'd be interested in doing a trial run sometime soon. (I wanna get more settled in my living situation, though, whenever that's gonna happen. :urg: :urg:)

What's the best way to do it? AIM chats? Meebo? Skype?

Roller

Smash Legend
They've been back for a while now, lol. Where've you been?

I think normal threads are better for the current community, but the chat idea sounds really interesting as something to do on the side.... especially if we can log them and post them up as a kind of series. I'd be interested in doing a trial run sometime soon. (I wanna get more settled in my living situation, though, whenever that's gonna happen. :urg: :urg:)

What's the best way to do it? AIM chats? Meebo? Skype?
We used to use Meebo, Skype may be better though, especially because people would keep switching names on Meebo, so we'd wind up having a lot of "...is gay" 's and Anthers in the chat, stuff like that, lol. Skype eliminates the problem. Plus skype has audio/video, which could be... interesting? lol

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
Skype only allows video between two people. If you want a huge conference call, it's audio only (presumably so you don't murder everyone's bandwidth).

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Sorry I didn't know they were back, I don't post in the social thread >_>

Also, if we do skype, tell me so I can make a name for myself lol. I don't even have skype...

Top Bottom