• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kawaii Kon: A Hawaiian Tournament Feat. Larry Lurr, VoiD, 6WX, Mike Kirby, Zigsta, K0rean, and More!

Palm trees, stunning beaches, surfing, pineapples, and hula dancing. These are all things that come to mind when people think of Hawaii. Well, it's time to add one more thing to Hawaii's repertoire: Smash! Tonight, April 8th, beginning at 3 pm PST, Hawaii will have to prove itself against the mainland at Kawaii Kon 2016! The event will span over three days with events ranging from FFA to 2v2, 1v1, and even Hawaii Crew Battles. Some top players are also set to attend, including Larry Lurr, NinjaLink, Zigsta, 6WX, Mike Kirby, and VoiD, with the stream being provided by TheOdoFaction. Ready to dive into the storylines for this event? Read on!

Hawaii vs The Mainland Crew Battle Trailer

The event will kick off Friday and have the best from Hawaii attempt to defend their house against the invaders from the mainland. While he currently resides in California, 2GG | VoiD originates from Hawaii and will be the powerhouse for the team. His fellow players are not to be underestimated either. K0rean is currently power ranked 2nd in Hawaii and has an impressive Fox. There is also Dren, a Yoshi player that many did not recognize when he traveled to Las Vegas and placed second in an event over many of the region's top players. Rounding off the team is ZekkenB, whose Little Mac should not be overlooked. Those unprepared will quickly find themselves KO-punched into oblivion.

The mainland has a team just as impressive, however. Larry Lurr, the man of many characters, will be coming all the way from SoCal. Ninjalink, who placed 13th at Apex 2015 and who often competes in New York, will have a Greninja and Bayonetta to bring into the mix. When people think of Sonic, many think of 6WX, who will also be competing for the mainland. Zigsta, known for his Bowser play since the days of Brawl, will round out the team and add some unique character variety to the battle.

Come Saturday, the doubles event will take place, but not before three crews come together to battle for supremacy. Gimp Style Madness, Hold it Down, and KnockOut Alliance will all battle, being streamed by TheOdoFaction and beginning at 3:30 pm PST. With Sunday comes singles, and these will be set to begin at 2 pm PST. Will a native Hawaiian be able to take down the talent heading out to the event? The only way to find out will be to tune in! Excited to see this event? Let us know in the comments below, and stay tuned to Smashboards for future event previews.

Comments

The FFA tournies are freaking hilarious. I'm weird and play with items on any chance I get, but it's nice to see other folks play that way for a change.

What the-?! Kawaii kon is today?! :eek: God, I must book it there after high school. An actual smash event near where I live TODAY. I will never forgive myself if I miss this.

Last edited:
Any players from Japan? It's been fascinating to see how close Hawaii and the land of the rising sun are (Japan gave Hawaii hanafuda for instance, and HI's often a stopover on flights to Japan)

Aww rats, here I am on a neighboring island, and failed to pay close enough attention to know that KKon has Smash tourneys... I'd try to fly over for Sunday, but college 2stocked me.

Oh well, save up for next year...

Top Bottom