• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Karma Drop, an Advanced Tech

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Hey everyone!

So I was chatting it up with the Zeldas, and @ Karmaic Avidity Karmaic Avidity discovered this cool little thing, which we have since dubbed the KARMA DROP. It's a fun little thing that lets you grab ledge from the stage. Unfortunately, it isn't noticeably faster than autosnap, so this is more of a cool trick than anything else.
EDIT: With the 3.6b update, and autosnap from stage being removed, this actually has a bit of utility!

Video of a Karma Drop. A successful one, followed by 2 failed ones (one where the shorten was too short, and one where it was too long)

How to do:
Shorten the teleport, then use the forced walk animation to PC Drop

Uses:
1. Swag
2. Good practice
3. Mostly just swag

Live Long and Sparkle,
Kael

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
Cant you also cancel just beyond the ledge and you should grab backwards?

Anyway, it looks hella graceful, as the Princess should be.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Cant you also cancel just beyond the ledge and you should grab backwards?

Anyway, it looks hella graceful, as the Princess should be.
That is also an option, but there's very little risk of suicide with this one. You have to cancel the teleport a fair distance from the ledge (compared to what you might think), so you shouldn't accidentally SD. With this one, you cancel the teleport about where the back Zelda's skirt is if you're in teeter and then squat

Karmaic Avidity

Smash Cadet
<3 I'm pretty humbled at this being named after me :p Hopefully the Sonic player also named Karma won't be mad XD

Anyways, right now, we're trying to think of ways that this will actually be useful, other than looking swaggy and making commentators go "whut?"

One use we thought of in the chat is doing this > nair so that you get a stage spike if the opponent isn't ready.

Other than those few reasons, I'm hard pressed to think of anything :/ At least it looks cool \o/

EDIT: Forgot to add that someone (forgive me for forgetting who) in the Zelda Social mentioned that you could do this technique to face a certain direction for an aerial. For example, if you telecancel towards the left of a platform, you can drop facing right to get fair, instead of bair.

Last edited:

Luis Alonso

Smash Journeyman
This looks simple enough. I'll practice it tonight.

And for those you wondering, having more options to ledge hog is always great for Zelda, especially for those who know that she can't autosnap from the ground.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
One use we thought of in the chat is doing this > nair so that you get a stage spike if the opponent isn't ready.
You should be able to do the n-air stage spike with or without Karma dropping it, which is why I neglected to mention it

EDIT: Forgot to add that someone (forgive me for forgetting who) in the Zelda Social mentioned that you could do this technique to face a certain direction for an aerial. For example, if you telecancel towards the left of a platform, you can drop facing right to get fair, instead of bair.
That was me who mentioned that, and I didn't put it in the OP because lazy

Last edited:

LTROwen

Smash Rookie
NNID
Endless_Nine
@ Soft Serve Soft Serve remember when I accidentally did this at one of the ASU weeklies after the PM Arcadian and we freaked out? XD Shoulda actually learned to implement and show off with it. Love any kind of teleport shenanigans <3

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
yeah lol this is tight

Imo its useful for anything a dropzone would be useful for.

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
Confirmed for tournament viability. I used this against Fox in bracket in a situation where I couldn't auto snap to the ledge and it got me the stock. With the 3.6b changes this is a worth while technique to practice.

Karmaic Avidity

Smash Cadet
With the new changes to telecanceling, it's easier to do this technique, and it's also easier to force it if you mess up. Let it be known to anyone who didn't know previously, that rolling against the ledge, then pressing down and away from it makes you drop from the stage to the ledge. A useful technique if you can do something with it. You can sometimes end up forcing a Karma Drop if you end up close to getting the drop off stage, but not far enough to actually fall.

Last edited:

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
Holy Priestess you're right. I wonder if the shield tech (does it have a name?) is going to get removed in later patches. If not we can now grounded Farore's Wind>telecancel before ledge>buffer roll out of teleport to ledge>drop to ledge safely and quickly. It's not as fast as edge cancelled teleport>teleport ledge grab, but it's safer at almost all distances. If you've got the time and you don't need the extra hitbox, go with the new shield tech Karma Drop... thinger. The roll ledge grab technique really needs a name if it's going to stick around.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I love this, it's stylicious, and while being harder and slightly less effective than the ol' invisisnap, it's something to use!

Top Bottom