• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Karate Joe Tunes In From Rhythm Heaven - This beat is nonstop!

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Add me to the list of the support. Karate Joe just makes too much sense as the character to represent the Rhythm Heaven series, especially because in addition to the reasons in the OP, his body is the perfect build to do various Rhythm Heaven mini-games. I've even worked on a moveset to show that off!

[collapse="Karate Joe Moveset"]
Standard Special - Pot Break: Karate Man (Wii). Holding the B button launches a pot at Karate Joe, while letting go will make him do a punch. If timed correctly, Karate Joe punches the pot as a projectile forward, damaging an opponent hit by it. If this attack is correctly executed in succession, each pot deals more damage, adding a maximum 5% more total to each pot after 8 successful pot breaks in a row.

Side Special - Bomb Kick: Karate Man (DS). Karate Joe tosses a barrel and kicks it open, launching the bomb inside forward. Opponents are hit with a decent amount of damage.

Up Special - See Saw: See Saw. If used in the air, a see-saw appears underneath Karate Joe as one of See or Saw appears on the other side to bounce him upwards. If the special button is pressed right as See/Saw lands, Karate Joe will get extra height into the air. On the other hand, if this is used on the ground, the see-saw appears right in front of Karate Joe and he immediately hops onto it, launching an opponent into the air if they are on the other side. The see-saw remains on the ground for a while, acting for all intents and purposes as a sloped platform on the stage and damaging anyone who stands in or on the see-saw while it's going up.

Down Special - Barrel Combo: Karate Man (Wii). A light-bulb is tossed at him, hitting it if struck with an opponent's while the light-bulb is on the way. The opponent gets heavily stunned during this, and Karate Joe will follow up with a multi-hit combo much like the one he uses in Karate Man. Essentially a counter-style move that activates only if hit with an attack during its active frames. If an attack wasn't countered, Karate Joe misses the light-bulb and it breaks in the background as he frowns.

Final Smash - Karate Man: Named after the name of all the mini-games he appears in. Karate Joe does a powerful flip-kick, which, if it hits an opponent, will initiate his final smash. A remixed version of Lonely Storm plays as the game acts as a Great Aether version of Karate Man, doing damage if you press A in time with the musical cues:
"Whoa whoa whoa, I'm just a man. Missing you, please understand. Without you-ou-ou, I'm dyin'!"
Each successful hit is a kick or a punch onto the opponent, with the finishing blow being an explosive version of his famous barrel combo, launching the opponents straight into the air for what is almost a guaranteed KO if the player gets the song perfectly.
*Alternatively we could call it Lonely Storm because hot damn that would be a much cooler sounding name.

- - - - -

Standard A - Figure Fighter. "GO GO GO!" The Figure Fighter's jabs, pausing between jabs allowing for set-ups to other combos.
Up Tilt - Clappy Trio. Claps overhead, quick and does maximum damage if the opponent is struck directly on top of his head.
Side Tilt - Ringside. "Whoa, you go big guy!" Hits an opponent with the back of his fist stretching down, and pressing the A button again will string it into a flex, doing minor damage and knock-back.
Down Tilt - Karate Joe does a sweeping kick on the floor, similar in animation to one of his frames during the barrel combo.
Dash Attack - Does a brief running kick, much like Fox's Dash Attack.

- - - - -

Up Smash - Does a powerful roundhouse kick into the air, doing a high amount of damage to opponents that are in the hurt-boxes of his feet.
Side Smash - Samurai Slice. Raises one of his arms at a 90 degree bend, performing a karate chop that deals horizontal knock-back and makes the same sound-effect as the Samurai's slices.
Down Smash - Crop Stomp. Raises one of his legs up before slamming it down in front of him, followed by quickly tossing the opponent up with his arms, dealing two hits and strong vertical knock-back.

- - - - -

Neutral Aerial - Sex kick.
Up Aerial - Flip kick, hitting a noticeably large amount of area above Karate Joe.
Down Aerial - Spinning drill type of aerial, similar to Fox's Down Aerial.
Forward Aerial - Air Rally. Does a swinging chop, deflecting any physical projectiles away from him and making the same racket sound effect as Baxter and Forthington.
Back Aerial - Swing-around kick, similar to Sheik's Back Aerial.

- - - - -

Pummel - Packing Pests. Smacks the opponent, much like the way the player smacks spiders in this mini-game.
Up Throw - Space Soccer. "Kick, high-kick-go!" Briefly hacky-sacks the opponent before kicking them upwards with his foot.
Down Throw - Tap Troupe. "And bum-bum-bum tap-tap-tap!" Dances on top of the opponent, much like Kirby's Down Throw.
Forward Throw - Karate Man (DS). "Punch-kick!" Punches the opponent before following up with a kick.
Back Throw - Space Dance. "Dipsy down!" Karate Joe does the crouch of the Space Dance, tossing them the way he's facing (being the opposite direction of the way he was facing while standing) as he bends down into one-footed stand.

- - - - -

Up Taunt - Ringside. "Pose for the fans!" Karate Joe strikes a pose, doing his halmark "Oooh!" grunt at the start of every Karate Man of the series as he does so as a flash of light appears behind him.
Side Taunt - Drummer Duel. Stomps one foot, rapidly punches his fits forward, and raises an arm in cheer, all in time with this drum beat in particular. Whistle sound-effect and grunts included!
Down Taunt - Munchy Monk. A very brief part of the game plays, where the player can hit the A button in time with song's excerpt to swallow food. Winning or failing it has no bearing on the match--it's merely the first taunt to be its own mini-game in the series!

- - - - -

Rolling Dodge - Flipper Flop. "One flipper roll!" The sound effect and speed of the roll is much akin to the ones the seals do.

- - - - -

Victory Animation 1 - Ties his belt into a knot right as he notices the camera and smiles, then going back onto focusing on his knot.
Victory Animation 2 - Does shifts between jumps and kicks for a brief moment before calmly bowing towards the camera.
Victory Animation 3 - Punches several soccer balls towards off-screen and strikes the pose makes in the superb screen of the first Karate Man.
Loss Animation - Claps whilst frowning with drooping hair.[/collapse]
As neat as the idea of 3-fighters-in-1 Chorus Kids would be, Karate Joe would both capture the spirit of the series and look cool upon first impressions much more so than they would.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Chorus Kids has no chance as a 3-in-1 fighter anyway due to 3DS limitations.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Chorus Kids has no chance as a 3-in-1 fighter anyway due to 3DS limitations.
The 3 would probably act as a single character for all intents and purposes, but share disjointed hitboxes due to the model itself they'd be using (being 3 models, much how Duck Hunt is 2). That's besides the point nonetheless. The only movesets they could pull off would be much more random and loosely thrown together. They'd still be rhythm fighters, but they wouldn't have anywhere near as much cohesion as Karate Joe would.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The 3 would probably act as a single character for all intents and purposes, but share disjointed hitboxes due to the model itself they'd be using (being 3 models, much how Duck Hunt is 2). That's besides the point nonetheless. The only movesets they could pull off would be much more random and loosely thrown together. They'd still be rhythm fighters, but they wouldn't have anywhere near as much cohesion as Karate Joe would.
I honestly want Karate Joe to have a silly, random moveset. One that incorporates his usual stuff from his minigames, but much like what you already have, just with all the props that go with it.

Like for example, Karate Joe pulls a sword out of hammerspace just like Iai Slash (Samurai Slice) in Rhythm Tengoku GBA (Silver). Or pulling out a paddle to reference Air Rally. That way he properly represents the spirit of Rhythm Heaven as a whole.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I unfortunatelly had to vote for Adeleine, because she has very few people supporting her and she neds more support, but I want Karate Joe just as much as her.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I honestly want Karate Joe to have a silly, random moveset. One that incorporates his usual stuff from his minigames, but much like what you already have, just with all the props that go with it.

Like for example, Karate Joe pulls a sword out of hammerspace just like Iai Slash (Samurai Slice) in Rhythm Tengoku GBA (Silver). Or pulling out a paddle to reference Air Rally. That way he properly represents the spirit of Rhythm Heaven as a whole.
I considered that so many times while thinking of the moveset, but I wanted to stick with one important theme: Karate Joe. Literally means "empty-hand" martial arts. Aside from the stuff he kicks and the seesaw, I'd like to think I did a good job sticking to that while still referencing a lot of the series.

But again, that's just one interpretation of the character. I guess a huge reason I'm a fan of Karate Joe over Chorus Kids is on part of how naturally potent he is at fighting completely on his own compared to the trio needing to pull out gimmicks and random objects galore.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I considered that so many times while thinking of the moveset, but I wanted to stick with one important theme: Karate Joe. Literally means "empty-hand" martial arts. Aside from the stuff he kicks and the seesaw, I'd like to think I did a good job sticking to that while still referencing a lot of the series.

But again, that's just one interpretation of the character. I guess a huge reason I'm a fan of Karate Joe over Chorus Kids is on part of how naturally potent he is at fighting completely on his own compared to the trio needing to pull out gimmicks and random objects galore.
I'm just a big fan of him because he's appeared thoughout the entire series in pretty much his original form with only minor changes.

And we already have one generic shoto character in the game (Mario) and even then, he still has just enough flavor from his home series to not be a complete Ryu Expy. Karate Joe really shouldn't infringe on that niche when Rhythm Heaven has all that randomness to draw from.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Karate Joe doesn't need random things to be great.
He has:
-Karate
-Fire control abilities (shown in some end-minigame pictures)
-bullets (rocks, barrels, lightbulbs, vases, bombs)
-and most important, what makes him really unique: rhythm based gimmicks
-also he has a cat, it's important XD

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Every RH character would have that...
Yeah, but the meaning of my post was that even if he's a karate fighter, his karate won't be generic because most of his moves are rhythm based. I think that spawning random things from random minigames would destroy the purpose of the character. Probably for a character with random moves to represent RH I would prefer the Rhythm Girl then, she is the mascotte after all.
I think that Karate Joe needs to be Karate Joe, not "Random Rhythm Heaven Minigames".

Anyway, Karate Joe has some signature moves from his minigames, like that fast combo in the Wii version... that move can fail and the character would roll on the ground in an helpless state if failed. That's not generic karate, that's an unique fighting gimmick directly inspired by his minigames

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yeah, but the meaning of my post was that even if he's a karate fighter, his karate won't be generic because most of his moves are rhythm based. I think that spawning random things from random minigames would destroy the purpose of the character. Probably for a character with random moves to represent RH I would prefer the Rhythm Girl then, she is the mascotte after all.
I think that Karate Joe needs to be Karate Joe, not "Random Rhythm Heaven Minigames".

Anyway, Karate Joe has some signature moves from his minigames, like that fast combo in the Wii version... that move can fail and the character would roll on the ground in an helpless state if failed. That's not generic karate, that's an unique fighting gimmick directly inspired by his minigames
Joe's specials should be based off of his minigames:
  • NB: Hit 3! (all)
  • SB: Punch-kick bomb (DS)
  • DB: Combo (Wii)
For his UB, then he may need something random, though.

His normals, on the other hand, should be based off random minigames.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
One thing is for sure, he must be the only character that can KO with a single jab at high % :awesome:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Bumping. We, the REAL Rhythm Heaven fans who aren't influenced by a stupid leak need to be heard more.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Just played through Rhythm Heaven Fever again after having started a new file on my Wii U. Karate Man is every bit as satisfying as I remember.

Seriously, why didn't Sakurai pick Karate Joe over Chorus Kids? There's so many more reasons why he would work better.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Just played through Rhythm Heaven Fever again after having started a new file on my Wii U. Karate Man is every bit as satisfying as I remember.

Seriously, why didn't Sakurai pick Karate Joe over Chorus Kids? There's so many more reasons why he would work better.
Well as it stands now, he didn't pick either.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Between Gematsu and data of a rhythm character for Smash 4, I think you know what I mean... At the very least, it's nice to know that Karate Joe is a trophy alongside the Chorus Kids.
Gematsu still isn't proof. We don't know where that information came from and I only think the first leak was really true. The rest were just popular requests and other guesswork.

And even if it was, it doesn't mean Sakurai should be bound to it, especially accounting for the 3DS's lack of power.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Gematsu still isn't proof. We don't know where that information came from and I only think the first leak was really true. The rest were just popular requests and other guesswork.

And even if it was, it doesn't mean Sakurai should be bound to it, especially accounting for the 3DS's lack of power.
Considering Gematsu was completely accurate for a document known to have been created before Greninja's inception within Game Freak was even a thing, what with the only things being incorrect being a character not even slated to be shown at E3, an interview specifically stating that Chrom was considered but dropped in favor of Robin, and the various hints that piece together that Chorus Kids were more than just a rumor, I think it's proof enough.

And likewise, even if it isn't, the fact that Sakurai has considered them before Karate Joe has put them on peoples' radar to a significantly higher degree than Karate Joe, making it less of a matter of being bound and more of a matter of lacking incentive to change his mind in the first place. All I'm really trying to say is that as much as I want Karate Joe, we really do need to account for the serious level of competition he's facing with the Chorus Kids around. I would prefer Karate Joe 100% over the Chorus Kids, but I expect Chorus Kids far more than him. The fact that Karate Joe doesn't even show up in either of that poll data does no help to make this less of a concern...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd vote for him.

In fact, I will. Rhythm Heaven should have some support!

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I almost feel like the very first Rhythm Heaven character you see an argument for being a smash playable fighter is the character you will most likely stand by and support.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I almost feel like the very first Rhythm Heaven character you see an argument for being a smash playable fighter is the character you will most likely stand by and support.
Actually Marshal had my initial support because I thought he'd be the mascot for the series at the time.

But when I dug deeper, I realized that Karate Joe was the far better pick, being the first minigame in the whole series and still treated as a special icon throughout.

Plus, Marshal is losing mascot status for The Best+ to Tebiri (though by knee-jerk reaction, I don't really like Tebiri; seems like an overly cutesy crybaby).

Quillion

Smash Hero
Also, I'm not going to change my opinion because of a stupid leak. Karate Joe has always been my #1 Rhythm Heaven choice after briefly supporting Marshal.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Also, I'm not going to change my opinion because of a stupid leak. Karate Joe has always been my #1 Rhythm Heaven choice after briefly supporting Marshal.
I know I am pretty stubborn with my Rhythm Girl support until it hit me that I was being unrealistic and who am I to say that some people other there don't genuinely want the chorus men or karate joe. There's always assist/background element for a stage for my fave I guess...

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Or at least an official name.
Oh ouch right in the heart. But true, that would be nice. I am excited to see a bright colorful stage at the very least if we get a fully monochromatic character. It'd look & sound really nice.

Last edited:

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys!
I just wanted to let you know, that I support Karate Joe! (Hey, that rhymes! :))
He could be an awesome addition to the roster!

P.S.: Here's something I made for him:
I hope you enjoy! :)

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Hi guys!
I just wanted to let you know, that I support Karate Joe! (Hey, that rhymes! :))

Those are amazing alts. I love the DS Remix 6 mullet especially.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Am I the only one who thinks that the cat in remix 9 Wii should become a recurring element for Karate Joe? Not very recurring, but a cameo here and there... I think it's funny seeing Karate Joe with a cat!
1:59
It would be perfect for taunts.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Hi guys!

You forgot one.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
You forgot one.

I don't know what you are talking about. :awesome:

And actually, I made just 8 alts because the characters in Smash only have 8, but to be honest, I really forgot this one! :p

By the way, I drew the original by myself, just in case someone thought I just made the recolors.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I hope The Best+ makes those Arcade Tempo Up! games available for everyone else. The MAME ROM of that game doesn't work (plus the cabinet construction of Tengoku/Silver Arcade is shoddy which leads to sticky buttons).

StarKun

Smash Champion
NNID
Star-Kun
I wanna join in this.

Smash bros needs a rhythm heaven character, and none other than Joe should be able to represent RH well.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
@Hippopotasauce
I just noticed, that you put my drawing in the OP. I really appreciate it! :grin:

But just one thing: The 3rd color is based on Karate Man 2 from the DS game, as seen below, and not on the yellow DJ.
Red was first in Karate Man 2 in Rhythm Heaven Fever, I believe.

Quillion

Smash Hero
As you can see in this brief glimpse of gameplay...

We're getting another completely different Karate Man game for The Best+. It's pretty interesting since it looks like Karate Man is getting quite an amount of publicity for the game; more than the Chorus Kids or even the new mascot Tebiri.

Top Bottom