• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K9sbruce: The Future King Of Smash?

The crowd is bouncing. A chant rings out in the room: "King of Smash! King of Smash! King of Smash!" but Ken is nowhere is sight. This isn't even Genesis 3, it's a SoCal local that brought in ESAM as a special guest and 190 entrants packed the halls to defend SoCal's reputation for being one of the most stacked regions in Smash.

One of those players was K9sbruce. 2GGT: ESAM Saga was some people's first look at this player and many learned of his dream of becoming the King of Smash. He took down ESAM, took a game away from ZeRo and kept every match close, but sadly would lose to VoiD in losers finals and not have another shot at the titan of Smash 4. While his run at Genesis 3 was not as bright, he is still passionately pursuing his goal.

"I am K9sbruce, the man who will become the King of Smash." It's a straightforward introduction, no outlines, no fancy words, just sheer determination. He will need it to achieve his goal: to becoming the greatest player in both Smash 4 and in Melee. To become so strong he usurps Ken's throne and becomes more feared in a Smash 4 bracket than ZeRo has ever been. "The ideal goal would be winning nationals for both games back to back."

Despite wanting this crown, the inspiration for the title didn't actually come from Ken. "The title king of smash came from one piece because I love Luffy as a character." he explained. "I took it from one piece because he says 'I'm going to become the king of the pirates.'"

K9sbruce vs ESAM - 2GGT: ESAM Saga

Obviously not a player that shies away from a challenge, he has many in front of hi before this goal can ever be achieved, and currently the biggest threat to his own success comes from with. "My mentality has become my biggest challenge." he confessed. "I have a tendency to let other people control my desire to win in too many situations. I have all inside me the passion is all here, so now I'm learning how to channel from within. Once I master this, I'll flip the smash world upside down."

He's not alone in pursuing this dream however, he has many friends and supporters to back him up. There's a reason the "King of Smash" chants were so loud. Even while attempting to gain the crown and thrown, he still has time to help those around him achieve their dreams as well.

"More and more as time goes on people are starting to believe in the dream. My friends all have their own dreams that they want to accomplish, we all keep each other going.

"Sky wants to become the best comedian ever. Nips wants to become the Queen of art along with Sade. Tyrant wants to become the best Meta Knight in the world. VoiD wants to eventually stream and become good at a variety of games and help teach people how to become good. MacD wants to surpass Armada as a Peach player." he told us. "My friends all have their own dreams that they want to accomplish, we all keep each other going. As time goes on people are starting to believe in the dream."

---​

The next time to see K9sbruce outside of SoCal will likely be at CEO although he has plans to attend Shots Fired 2 if possible. To stay up to date with his triumphs and struggles as he attempts to become the King of Smash be sure to follow him on Twitter. Will K9sbruce ever truly become king? Only time will tell.

Comments

Just want to nitpick a little part of the article

"And mac D wants to surpass armada as a peach player"
No, he doesn't. Mac D would LIKE to surpass armada in the same way a little paralyzed boy dreams about one day becoming a sports super star. Its nothing but a fantasy with Mac D right now.

If Mac D REALLY wanted to surpass armada then he would be redesigning his training to be good enough training to make that result happen. We would be seeing incredible improvement from Mac D and everybody would be nodding their heads saying he is on the fast track to 5 God status.

Mac D is not stepping up his game to beat armada. He has never stepped up his game to beat armada. And right now he has a 0% chance of beating armada ever because his training routine is currently not good enough to ever make that result happen. And I hope he reads this so he can finally wake up and realize he needs to change how he trains if he ever wants a shot at getting there.

I mean no disrespect to Mac D. I do think he has what it take to beat armada. He just has to up the level of commitment to this game and redesign his training to be as or more effective than how armada trains.

Last edited:
Just want to nitpick a little part of the article

"And mac D wants to surpass armada as a peach player"
No, he doesn't. Mac D would LIKE to surpass armada in the same way a little paralyzed boy dreams about one day becoming a sports super star. Its nothing but a fantasy with Mac D right now.

If Mac D REALLY wanted to surpass armada then he would be redesigning his training to be good enough training to make that result happen. We would be seeing incredible improvement from Mac D and everybody would be nodding their heads saying he is on the fast track to 5 God status.

Mac D is not stepping up his game to beat armada. He has never stepped up his game to beat armada. And right now he has a 0% chance of beating armada ever because his training routine is currently not good enough to ever make that result happen. And I hope he reads this so he can finally wake up and realize he needs to change how he trains if he ever wants a shot at getting there.

I mean no disrespect to Mac D. I do think he has what it take to beat armada. He just has to up the level of commitment to this game and redesign his training to be as or more effective than how armada trains.
As someone who lives in a developing tournament center - one that isn't huge like Tristate, Florida, or Cali, but getting there - what do you define as a good training routine?

Do I seriously have to block two children on this page? K bye.
Pretty sure blocking someone as soon as they say something you don't like is much more childish than a little trash talk.

And I've got to say you have a huge ego for a player I've never heard of. If you're going to call a high-level player a scrub, expect people to tell you you're wrong.

Pretty sure blocking someone as soon as they say something you don't like is much more childish than a little trash talk.

And I've got to say you have a huge ego for a player I've never heard of. If you're going to call a high-level player a scrub, expect people to tell you you're wrong.
No, it means I have no time to deal with negativity. They want to make a point, they can money match me. Believe me, I'll be around this year. I'm really not interested in conversing with idiots.

And a clown that gets salty rage every time he loses doesn't get to be called a high-level player. I don't expect you to have heard of me, but really, that's no one's problem but yours. Quite frankly, "huge ego" or not, I couldn't give a crap what your opinion is of me.

Last edited:
i'll just link this here...
he's capable of being the king of salt, but there's no way he'll be even close to becoming the king of smash.

Last edited:
I don't know for sure how good K9 really is at the game because I don't watch him very much. From what I have seen, he gets way too angry way too fast, and I know very well how badly salt can mess up your play. I think if K9 really commits to his goal he could be a top Smash player, but he's gonna need to learn how to control his anger before he gets anywhere close.

I don't know for sure how good K9 really is at the game because I don't watch him very much. From what I have seen, he gets way too angry way too fast, and I know very well how badly salt can mess up your play. I think if K9 really commits to his goal he could be a top Smash player, but he's gonna need to learn how to control his anger before he gets anywhere close.
I'd rather he just retire and find a different game.

Next time I'll be sure to add more spice. Would you prefer cinnamon?
I'm not the one trying to show off my proverbial shwang off to a bunch of people I've probably never met before out of sheer hatred for some guy who is most notorious for getting angry, then challenging them to Smash because they don't agree with me and that by blocking them and later beating them in Smash, that will somehow prove that I'm a better person overall, even though I'm a reportedly unheard-of player.

lol

I'm not the one trying to show off my proverbial shwang off to a bunch of people I've probably never met before out of sheer hatred for some guy who is most notorious for getting angry, then challenging them to Smash because they don't agree with me and that by blocking them and later beating them in Smash, that will somehow prove that I'm a better person overall, even though I'm a reportedly unheard-of player.

lol
At least I don't respond to sarcastic comments in full paragraphs and make up silly phrases like "proverbial shwang." Seriously?

Top Bottom