• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Spirit Toons

Banned via Warnings
Really Nice overview Diddy Kong

Also, I hope the franchise continues. Retro seems to be onto new things now, but I am skeptical about what Rare employees will do to the franchise, that I believe was sort of perfected by Retro at this point.

Yeah, DK’s history is a mess of legal trouble? Nintendo clearly owns the rights to every character, yet only uses a select few after Rare left. The portable titles make it even harder to understand as Rare was allowed by Microsoft to work on titles, so of course they would use their old characters.

While Donkey Kong is going strong now, I feel King K’s issue is more about if Nintendo feels they should take the series in that direction or not. Donkey Kong has gone through a long span of time without Krool, and has become a different DK because of it. Many elements of his adventures have changed since, and while Nintendo is slowly restoring Rare’s material, manly by including more Kongs and creating a few nods. The issue is probably more complicated than anyone is making it out to be, including me, but I do feel that Retro and Nintendo want to take DK in a new direction going forward, so Krool will probably need to be in DK once again and adapt to the changes. (It won’t be that hard for him to adapt really.)

I’m going to leave with this if Nintendo feels the Country franchise should return to the Krool era, then I feel he has a good shot of making it in, but if they want to continue down the new Retro path or take an entirely new direction, like Jungle Beat, then I feel it’s only right to give the position to a character like Dixie who has already become a part of ‘Nintendo’s’ DK. As we’ve seen with Smash, Donkey Kong is very heavily based on Nintendo’s direction with the Jungle Beat final smash and the grab being from the original DK and Retro’s titles, so it makes me believe that Donkey Kong is still continuing down a Post-Rare era path, so having Krool would seem weird if he’s not a part of the new direction.

Well, this has been fun, but I’ll leave now. I’m a little tired of being called a troll every time I comment, since this is a discussion board about his chances, so yes, some will be skeptical and are not doing this to troll. While I doubt his chances, good luck, and all the more power to you for supporting him. I know I’ve wanted characters that would be considered huge lost causes, so I’m glad that Krool is more the opposite with a steady fan base to keep him a float, and while I will argue his chances, I do hope this community gets rewarded some day for their efforts. See you guys.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
It might not even be Paon's design, just because Paon was the first to use it doesn't mean they were the one's who designed it. But for the sake of convenience I'll call it that.

I'd say Paon's K. Rool is more expressive. However I'd say the best part about Paon's K. Rool is that his anatomy doesn't look awful. I'm sorry but Rare's K. Rool had a terrible looking Mr. Potato Head body where limbs would just unnnaturally poke out of this blorb torso. Now look at the modern K. Rool. Look at how his pectorals are properly aligned with his arms. Look at how his neck and head look like they align with his spin and not in a deformed way. And most importantly, look at how his legs connect to his hips. They don't just pop out from the bottom of his torso.
YES!! Truth be told the Paon look needs more work, but anatomically it's an improvement from Rare's by a good amount for the reasons you mentioned. There's some things they should've kept from Rare's though, like the deep scale lines, the golden belly, the crown and the tail! He needs to look more reptilian; the arms are a great improvement cuz he looks strong (he's got them Wario Arms) and the legs make his ability to leap more believable.

The main drawback is that the Kritters have been buffed so well that THEY look more intimidating and dangerous than him. He's more expressive which is always good, but they look dead serious more often than not, are closer to badass while K. Rool comes off as goofy. Just make him look more fearsome, emphasize the reptilian features and bring back a couple of Rare's elements and they'll have a great looking K. Rool.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
The only problem I have with his Paon look is the lack of a tail, fix that and we're good. The rest of the design is really expressive and fun.

Also, if we want K. Rool to appear in other games like Mario Kart as well as Smash, (similar to how he appeared in Sluggers) I don't think the old Rare design would blend in very well with the other Nitnendo characters. In tropical Freeze, DK, Diddy, Cranky and Dixie all use the same redesigned look they had in Jungle Climber, and it makes sense for everyone to carry on that look for consistency, whether it be Smash Bros and any other Nintendo character spinoff game.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Geez.

Adding K. Rool would make people happy.

That's literally the only thing that matters. Who cares about any other semantics?
Ridley was the exact same case.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Give K Rool a Tail and his Gold Belly again and he's fine

His mii costume had those

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I know this is off topic but has anyone else been playing the DK adventure DLC for Mario x Rabbids. Been playing it for 4-5 hours straight had to take a break because I got stuck on this one REALLY annoying mandatory overworld puzzle where you gotta change the route of the flowing water so all 6 pipes match up to lift up the platforms. I tried that alone for a half an hour and since the game is still fresh and new there are no walkthroughs to guide me through. That being said I have spotted some Rare references in the DLC. I will put them in spoilers just in case you don't want them spoiled for you:

There are Winky, Expresso, Squawks, and Enguarde themed weapons I've spotted. Also as previously noted there are remixes of DK Isles and Jungle Japes from DK64. Bonus room and Opening thems from DKC. That's all I've noticed so far

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Pay attention to information leaking out about the Mario Vs Rabbids DLC today on the off chance Kremlings appear. Otherwise nothing noteworthy or new.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think you made the snout too big and the teeth/mouth too small on Rare K. Rool. Very cool though. But yeah, Rare K. Rool is definitely better! So much personality.

And Smash has shown to ignore the Nintendo designs before, particularly on DK and Diddy. I definitely think we will see Rare K. Rool if K. Rool shows up in this game in any form. Very appreciative of the Mii costume reviving that design.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
https://twitter.com/MLFoxwell/status/1011270496216862720

We don't often see the two designs side by side so I thought I'd post this so people could see the differences.

Edit: not sure how to embed a tweet on here so here's the image:
View attachment 150115
The right one kinda just looks like PAON K. Rool but with Rare K. Rool's head, belly, and colors..... not that I have a problem with that. I actually think that could be a good look for him in Smash and future DK games.
EDIT: RIght, I meant right, not left, whoops

Last edited:

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
I'm going to be honest, I like this character, and I think he would be a good fit for Smash, but I don't think he's likely, even compared to other DKC reps like Dixie Kong. The truth is that the DKC series has pivoted away HARD from K. Rool and the Kremlings. I think Sakurai would go with a character that has more current relevance to the series, and Dixie also has a lot of supporters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I know this is off topic but has anyone else been playing the DK adventure DLC for Mario x Rabbids. Been playing it for 4-5 hours straight had to take a break because I got stuck on this one REALLY annoying mandatory overworld puzzle where you gotta change the route of the flowing water so all 6 pipes match up to lift up the platforms. I tried that alone for a half an hour and since the game is still fresh and new there are no walkthroughs to guide me through. That being said I have spotted some Rare references in the DLC. I will put them in spoilers just in case you don't want them spoiled for you:

There are Winky, Expresso, Squawks, and Enguarde themed weapons I've spotted. Also as previously noted there are remixes of DK Isles and Jungle Japes from DK64. Bonus room and Opening thems from DKC. That's all I've noticed so far
Diddy isn't playable in this right? No other Kong but DK makes an appearance or what?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
It's cruel to see the K. Rool thread still in the speculation section. Ridley made it. I believe.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
About King K.Rool's design, I do hope he indeed gets more intimidating if he where to get a new design. He needs some of the goofiness yes of course, but since Donkey Kong himself is already a big, strong and somewhat intimidating figure, King K.Rool needs something more. I like how the PAON design makes him more buff, but he needs to be a little larger, and more crocodilian in appearance. Maybe make his jaws bigger and buff him up even moreso? So that it looks that in a 1 on 1 fight, he'll have a serious advantage over the muscular main character.

Bowser towers over Mario. Ganondorf is about three times as muscular as Link. King K.Rool needs that intimidation factor as well. Maybe a sort of super form that is really focussed on a more crocodilian appearance.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Looks like everything in Mario Vs Rabbids Donkey Kong DLC has been discovered.
You fight Rabbid Kong 2 times, and 2 miniboss Shark Rabbids I guess.
I don't know if there's any Kremling cameos or anything like that, which is unfortunate.
I just don't understand the design decision of having a boss in the base game being a boss 2 more times in the DLC versions.

PolarisJunkie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PolarisJunkie
3DS FC
0361-7305-7321
Would like to throw my support to King K. Rool! Would love both him and Dixie to complete the Donkey Kong representation.

My only worry is how little the DK franchise is represented in Smash not only in this game but in almost all of its iterations. No DK items, No DK assist trophies...it troubles me that DK will never grow from just DK and Diddy. But here's hoping we get their #1 antagonist and female lead.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Also, I hope the franchise continues. Retro seems to be onto new things now, but I am skeptical about what Rare employees will do to the franchise, that I believe was sort of perfected by Retro at this point.

Yeah, DK’s history is a mess of legal trouble? Nintendo clearly owns the rights to every character, yet only uses a select few after Rare left. The portable titles make it even harder to understand as Rare was allowed by Microsoft to work on titles, so of course they would use their old characters.

While Donkey Kong is going strong now, I feel King K’s issue is more about if Nintendo feels they should take the series in that direction or not. Donkey Kong has gone through a long span of time without Krool, and has become a different DK because of it. Many elements of his adventures have changed since, and while Nintendo is slowly restoring Rare’s material, manly by including more Kongs and creating a few nods. The issue is probably more complicated than anyone is making it out to be, including me, but I do feel that Retro and Nintendo want to take DK in a new direction going forward, so Krool will probably need to be in DK once again and adapt to the changes. (It won’t be that hard for him to adapt really.)

I’m going to leave with this if Nintendo feels the Country franchise should return to the Krool era, then I feel he has a good shot of making it in, but if they want to continue down the new Retro path or take an entirely new direction, like Jungle Beat, then I feel it’s only right to give the position to a character like Dixie who has already become a part of ‘Nintendo’s’ DK. As we’ve seen with Smash, Donkey Kong is very heavily based on Nintendo’s direction with the Jungle Beat final smash and the grab being from the original DK and Retro’s titles, so it makes me believe that Donkey Kong is still continuing down a Post-Rare era path, so having Krool would seem weird if he’s not a part of the new direction.

Well, this has been fun, but I’ll leave now. I’m a little tired of being called a troll every time I comment, since this is a discussion board about his chances, so yes, some will be skeptical and are not doing this to troll. While I doubt his chances, good luck, and all the more power to you for supporting him. I know I’ve wanted characters that would be considered huge lost causes, so I’m glad that Krool is more the opposite with a steady fan base to keep him a float, and while I will argue his chances, I do hope this community gets rewarded some day for their efforts. See you guys.
Just wanna add one thing. The Snowmads have taken a few nods from the Kremlings in their designs. There are a couple of enemies that really seem to be modern versions of Kremling expies. Even King Frederik has a few mods to previous King K.Rool battles. So there's that. Retro seems to just wanna do their own thing, which is good for 2 games.. but I really hope they will revive the Kremlings properly yet again in their upcoming game.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Diddy isn't playable in this right? No other Kong but DK makes an appearance or what?
I actually just finished it. Watching the credits now. Granted I haven't done any of the challenges yet but the final boss was indeed Rabbid Kong and no there are no Kongs or Kremlings whatsoever. Hell there isn't even any Tikis (though the Rabbids are dressed as Tikis) or Snowmads. The references to DK seem to be nothing more than I mentioned above and some DK64 and DKC remixes.

I enjoyed the DLC it was real fun but I won't lie I am a bit letdown due to it's length (they promised 10 hours I finished it in 6) and the lack of more DK references/nods but other than that a fun time I suppose.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm going to be honest, I like this character, and I think he would be a good fit for Smash, but I don't think he's likely, even compared to other DKC reps like Dixie Kong. The truth is that the DKC series has pivoted away HARD from K. Rool and the Kremlings. I think Sakurai would go with a character that has more current relevance to the series, and Dixie also has a lot of supporters.
I don't believe Sakurai would pick Dixie instead of K. Rool when K. Rool has much more popularity and has actually been acknowledged with a Mii Fighter costume. Dixie didn't get anything like that. If K. Rool doesn't get in, it has nothing to do with Dixie. I also don't put much stock in the idea that Sakurai would want to represent the DK series "as is" and nothing but, otherwise Kremlings wouldn't be in Smash Run alongside Tikis.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
The relevancy argument is stupid because Sakurai goes out of his way every game to add irrelevant retro characters. You can try to argue that “they’re a different case”, but if your whole argument is centered around “Why would he focus on irrelevant characters when he could use those resources to make a relevant character?” then Retro Characters certainly apply to that too. Especially R.O.B. who was utterly despised during Brawl for being “irrelevant” and “taking a spot”.

On another note, as much as I prefer the Rare design, I wouldn’t mind both designs being in the game (Along with Kaptain K Rool) as alt costumes. However, I do think if he is in the game, then Sakurai will go with the Rare Design. Aside from the Mii Costume being an entirely new costume, Ridley’s design is monstrous and Giga Bowser only exists because Sakurai hates using the modern Bowser design because it’s not “monstrous” like his NES/SNES design. So it’d be safe to assume he’d go with the more brutal design of his, which is the Rare one.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Seriously, we need a masterpost or something of every common argument. Every possibility has been thought of and discussed by us. Every single one. We've been discussing this character nonstop for years.

Another note on the "Nintendo is trying to erase Rare's legacy" conspiracy theory: is that why they hired former staff from Rare to work on Tropical Freeze?

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Seriously, we need a masterpost or something of every common argument. Every possibility has been thought of and discussed by us. Every single one. We've been discussing this character nonstop for years.

Another note on the "Nintendo is trying to erase Rare's legacy" conspiracy theory: is that why they hired former staff from Rare to work on Tropical Freeze?
I was misinformed about the latter until recently (I thought Nintendo were the ones who told Retro not to use the Kremlins but it was the other way around) and its just a dumb rumor that caught fire. Sadly it’ll probably never fully go away but it does need to be mentioned more to clear that confusion for those who do want to show their support.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Funny how detractors will argue about characters not having a chance in Smash due to relevancy when half the characters in Smash are completley that. That and Ridley's inclusion proves that Sakurai is listening to fan demand. I guarantee you they'll all be saying "Of course K. Rool was likely" or "I knew he would be in" once K. Rool is playable in SSBU.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's cruel to see the K. Rool thread still in the speculation section. Ridley made it. I believe.
I know how that feels. :crying:

Poor Meowth. Forever relegated to the speculation section... but at least Toad has a chance to escape this speculation section as Captain Toad.

Dixie Kong and King K. Rool need to get out of this speculation section too!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Funny how detractors will argue about characters not having a chance in Smash due to relevancy when half the characters in Smash are completley that. That and Ridley's inclusion proves that Sakurai is listening to fan demand. I guarantee you they'll all be saying "Of course K. Rool was likely" or "I knew he would be in" once K. Rool is playable in SSBU.
Actually to make the relevancy even more dumb

Sakurai highly considered geno for smash bros twice and that character has pn't made a appearance in 20 years

And maybe third times a charm for him because in smash 4 it was near the ending when cloud was added (square enix involvement) but this time since cloud is base so it was the beginning this time

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Seeing that video still hurts so much and is still as stupid as it was then. The games are great still but there is no benefit of changing out the Kremlings and K. Rool especially them keeping quiet about that original final boss being such a let down and nothing spectacular. Also they couldn't come up with a better story line than stealing bananas again. They had a better concept for Tropical Freeze but then fell down again with just making a K. Rool clone. Pretty much change the colour of Fredrik and you've got K. Rool. Annoying that they wasted the Viking theme and not giving it to Viking K. Rool.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Seeing that video still hurts so much and is still as stupid as it was then. The games are great still but there is no benefit of changing out the Kremlings and K. Rool especially them keeping quiet about that original final boss being such a let down and nothing spectacular. Also they couldn't come up with a better story line than stealing bananas again. They had a better concept for Tropical Freeze but then fell down again with just making a K. Rool clone. Pretty much change the colour of Fredrik and you've got K. Rool. Annoying that they wasted the Viking theme and not giving it to Viking K. Rool.
Viking K. Rool would've been so much better.
dkc__tropical_freeze___viking_k_rool_by_danny_jay-d6w7215.jpg

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel a decent compromise in DKCR would have been a secret Kremling world with them as the enemies and K. Rool is the boss of it. Retro gets to try their new thing and the fan favorite villain is still "relevant." Everybody wins!

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I liked the Snowmads a lot, I think they were good stand-ins and made up for the snoozefest that was the Tikis. But a bunch of them did feel like Kremlings in different skin - big mustachioed walrus Klumps, penguin Kritters, bow-wielding penguin Kannons/Bazukas, rabbit Re-Koils, walrus viking lord King K. Rool.
I think now that they've tried their hand at making cool (cold) villains, it's just a matter of time until they bring the beloved old baddies back round.
K. Rool in Smash would just speed up the process.

Enchess

Smash Lord
You seem to miss a few things here however.

If Nintendo actually "hated" Rare's work, why did they port all three of the Donkey Kong Country games to the Gameboy Advance after Rare left? Rare even created those remakes themselves. They also created Banjo-Pilot afterwards. And eventually, even Donkey Kong 64 came out on the virtual console. Did you also miss the street signs of King K.Rool and other Rare created characters in Mario Oddysey? The DK64 remix of the Donkey Kong DLC of Mario x Rabbids?

The people who created Donkey Kong Country Returns where also very knowledgable about the SNES DKC games, and Miyamoto leaded the project yet again much like the first Donkey Kong Country. Yes, Rare might've been far more ambitious with the franchsie than Nintendo was. But for Nintendo, DKC was just a project to revive one of their beloved characters and give him a world of himself, which they done with Mario themselves and even to Wario. Rare took on the project, DKC was a huge success and it was a great success for Nintendo during the "console wars", thus Rare was given more authority over the franchise seeing as they totally fleshed it out. It's Nintendo's own neglectance of the franchise that lead to this situation. They went aloof and expected Rare to keep up with the same success. Yet Rare was even more ambitious and tried to create a better name for themselves with their N64 classics as Banjo-Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing and Jetforce Gemini. Things turned sour, Donkey Kong wasn't as much Rare's main priority, money became an issue, Microsoft was ambitious and obviously is a big cash cow... and well, we all know how things fell apart since then.

Regardless of what happened, Donkey Kong Country itself is a HUGE success. It's a one standalone gaming franchise that was properly fleshed out by a foreign, non-Nintendo studio starring a legendary Nintendo character that lead the to future namesake, success and overall image of said character. I can't think of any other gaming franchise ever with these "complications", yet the overall AMBITION which is shown with Donkey Kong Country is felt by everyone who touched it. It's therefore a shame that Donkey Kong isn't as much as a namesake as he could've been. Seeing how succesfull Mario is, DKC could easily be as great as Zelda is nowadays. After Mario, Zelda and Pokemon, Donkey Kong IS the most major franchise of Nintendo after all!

I also would like to adress that even IF Nintendo had a sour relationship with Rare, and made their remarks towards them as Miyamoto's "DKC is just cool graphics but bad gameplay" (he was clearly h8n') and they did create Donkey Kong Jungle Beat as to establish THEIR version of Donkey Kong as the canon one, it didn't went as well as they hoped. Jungle Beat as received rather poorly compared to Donkey Kong Country, even did worse than DK64. Even on the Wii, it wasn't as succesful. And keep in mind that all Rare-created characters where still used in the DK games a little studio called PAON (I miss you guys) created; DK King of Swing, DK Jungle Climber and DK Barrel Blast.

DK Jungle Climber and DK King of Swing also had enemies return from the Rare games, Diddy was playable and a buddy in Jungle Climber, they brought back other Kongs even if they didn't do much, the Kremlings and King K.Rool where the major atagonists... Tell me how exactly did they want to kill off Rare's work completely if they also released this? It's just Nintendo who refused to work with them, as they didn't create them themselves and have a sort of "superiority" complex because of this. Which is why they focussed harder on a sub-franchise called Mario VS Donkey Kong...

See, they knew they couldn't handle the way Donkey Kong Country has established itself from that point, so they focussed on their own created version of Donkey Kong, which failed, and lead out to them having to represent "that" version of Donkey Kong in a "sub-franchise" called Mario vs Donkey Kong. They couldn't bring back DK Jr. either because Diddy Kong already excisted.

The Donkey Konga games also featured Rare-created characters, and Diddy Kong also crossed over with Mario in quite a couple of games since Rare left, because Nintendo knew very well that Diddy was marketable -being easily Rare's personal "main character" in the Donkey Kong Country franchise they establised.

Yes, even IF the first Donkey Kong Country created a whole new enviorment, world, famliy and lore for the legendary Donkey Kong, Rare's priority wasn't exactly with the character himself. Rare was always a few steps ahead at that time. They build off from DKC1's great success, and the next move was creating a game for Donkey Kong, but using their OWN character Diddy. A very bold move, and it paid off extremely well. Only to backfire at them a little with Donkey Kong Country 3. If we where to take a critical look at the SNES DKCs, we can say that the 3 most major characters of those 3 games would be Diddy, Dixie and King K.Rool, with Donkey Kong taking a more backseated role. I could argue that even Cranky and Funky have established themselves more than Donkey Kong himself did.

Fast forward to 2018, all seems well now. Donkey Kong himself is at a stronger position in his own franchise, being fully playable in DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze as the main character, with most of the supporting cast back with very respectable roles. First only Diddy, Cranky and Rambi in Returns as to focus more on establishing somewhat new with keeping what's most important, and then Tropical Freeze with even the music composer of the original DKCs, Dixie being back after a long time, Cranky being playable in a main DKC game for the first time, and eventually even Funky.

Nintendo seems to know how to handle the franchise themselves now. Which is again, not done by themselves but with a couple of people who really loved the original games and want to build up on them. Rare won't be back, but segments of their work will eventually show up in time. Why else would Nintendo even ask them to make Diddy Kong Racing DS? A lot of rumors even excist in Nintendo wanting a sequal to Diddy Kong Racing since a long time.

They also know that King K.Rool is sorely missed. Because we where lucky that Rare was able to flesh out his character completely with DK64, where his persona full of contradictions and extremes shines the most. In a way it's a real shame that Rare didn't give Donkey Kong 64 the attention it really deserved. I would sacrifise Banjo-Tooie and Jetforce Gemini in a different universe as to make sure that DK64 became as a ambitious project as Banjo-Kazooie and the original DKC. They tried to emulate Mario 64's succes way too much with Banjo-Kazooie, while I feel that attention should've gone to Donkey Kong in the first place.

You know, it might be VERY WELL the reason why Star Fox Adventures had to have the Star Fox cast in them; Rare was making a game of their own yet again with their typical ambition to establish themselves, and Nintendo reviewed the project and wanted this ambition to mesh with their OWN creation which is Star Fox. Did Star Fox as a franchise profit from this in the end? YES ABSOLUTELY! Do I secretly wish Star Fox Adventures was Donkey Kong Adventures instead? Yes I do....... </3

Yes, even as a Rare fan am not 100% in argeement with all their decisions, but the way Nintendo treated them also wasn't very professional. Really, in the end, both developers suffered from their decision to part with each other. Which is why I think that today, the companies try to be on friendly terms. Lots of old Rare staff that worked on the legendary Nintendo games have left Rare. They are basically a ghost now, of a former legendary game development studio. And Nintendo is still searching for a way to handle one of their most ambitious projects (giving Donkey Kong a world and franchise of his own) just about 17 years later.

With all things said, I think it's very possible that Nintendo is trying to hire former Rare employees into their project to revive Donkey Kong Country in it's former glory. All things seem to be set in stone for this... I really hope to see this happening after losing out so many years of potential quality Donkey Kong games.
I stopped reading halfway through, but I could tell this was gold. You rock. Keep schooling everyone on DK history.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Agreed. I thoroughly enjoyed the Snowmads. I wouldn't mind them appearing in the future alongside the Kremlings. Maybe as villains of a snow world or something. The Tikis suck REALLY bad though.

Koei Tecmo has expressed interest in making another warriors style game based on another Nintendo franchise I always thought it would be cool if we got a Donkey Kong warriors and have Tikis, Kremlings, Jungle Beat enemies, and Snowmads as mooks. "The Great Ape War" it's a war over DK's banana hoard. I doubt this game would sell well but I'd sure as hell play it as I really enjoyed Hyrule Warriors and thought Fire Emblem Warriors was okay.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I think that we'll see K Rool in the next Donkey Kong Games. Sure, he hasn't been in a game in 10 years (not 100% true since he has a trophy in Smash 4) but Nintendo never stopped talking about him and that is important. The Smash 4 trophy says that he's Donkey Kong's Bowser. The Kremlings are in Smash 4 and Smash 5 (we saw a Klaptrap in the DK's Stage). There's the MII Costume in Smash 4. Even Tropical Freeze has his King K Rool's Easter Egg ( http://img110.xooimage.com/files/4/5/3/k-rool-54b44dc.png )

The first easter egg (the one in Tropical Freeze) came in the beginning of 2014 and at the the time, i guess that Sakurai already knew his roster. But during Smash 4 speculations' time and the Ballot, people just showed how much they want to see the kremlings making a comeback and i think that Nintendo heard them.

Since then, when they had the opportunity, Nintendo made references to K Rool and that's important. When you want to erase a character, this is not how you act. When Nintendo really wanted to erase a character from their history, they do it. Tatanga, Wart, Ryota Hayami, Doshin The Giant got erased by Nintendo.

King K. Rool ? Not at all.

I'm not saying that he's a shoe-in, i'm just saying that he's not even irrelevant. He seems more relevant now than he was in 2014. He just missed two Donkey Kong games.

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
Agreed. I thoroughly enjoyed the Snowmads. I wouldn't mind them appearing in the future alongside the Kremlings. Maybe as villains of a snow world or something. The Tikis suck REALLY bad though.

Koei Tecmo has expressed interest in making another warriors style game based on another Nintendo franchise I always thought it would be cool if we got a Donkey Kong warriors and have Tikis, Kremlings, Jungle Beat enemies, and Snowmads as mooks. "The Great Ape War" it's a war over DK's banana hoard. I doubt this game would sell well but I'd sure as hell play it as I really enjoyed Hyrule Warriors and thought Fire Emblem Warriors was okay.
Source?!?!

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Wait I'm not sure I get this relevancy debate. I'm pretty sure the whole concept of relevance is based on connection and association. If a large collection of people consider King K. Rool appropriate for smash (that being a game which associates itself with the history of nintendo) then I believe that in fact makes him relevant.

The idea of being recent is not directly tied to the concept of relevance. It can help or hurt relevance, but an all star is an all star despite age.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord

Ridley and K Rool fans are very defensive due to being given so much crap over the years. Ridley moreso. And thats ok. As K rool fans we just have that "Not Relevant Wall" at the ready.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
If this happens I might finally pick up a warriors game. It sounds ridiculous in a good way. I could see us even getting playable Wrinkly Kong if they needed roster padding. Would love to beat up Kremlings with monkey ghost powers.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Ridley and K Rool fans are very defensive due to being given so much crap over the years. Ridley moreso. And thats ok. As K rool fans we just have that "Not Relevant Wall" at the ready.
Which is a shame really. Honestly I don't understand the doubt for K. Rool at this stage of the game. I'm no K. Rool fan myself, but there is no denying the support this dude has and the lack of competition he has this time around. I whole heartedly believe he is the most likely newcomer yet to be announced. Plus I mean have you seen, yo boi's been prepping.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Ho BOY what a doozy this place has turned into while I've been absent the past couple days. But you know what, I ain't gonna comment on any of it. Instead, I'm gonna focus on a fun, positive speculation idea.

So you all know how Ridley's trailer had his Brawl theme right? Well, running with the notion that the Ridley and K. Rool fanbases are basically in the same boat (or, you could even say, the same galleon), it'd be neat if this is the music that plays for our King's trailer.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Ho BOY what a doozy this place has turned into while I've been absent the past couple days. But you know what, I ain't gonna comment on any of it. Instead, I'm gonna focus on a fun, positive speculation idea.

So you all know how Ridley's trailer had his Brawl theme right? Well, running with the notion that the Ridley and K. Rool fanbases are basically in the same boat (or, you could even say, the same galleon), it'd be neat if this is the music that plays for our King's trailer.

I would'nt be surprised if it does. Although I'd prefer a new rock remix for it instead.

Top Bottom