• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
By that logic, there should only be updated ports of Smash 4 until humanity goes extinct. Is that what we want? The same game with a few extra knick knacks? "Smash Bros Wii U for Switch Deluxe Edition". What about the next Nintendo system? Do we want "Smash Bros for Wii U for Switch Deluxe Edition for Switch U 2 Black Ops"? Don't get me wrong, Smash 4 is my favorite Smash, but holding onto the past impedes the future.
Sure, but at the same time Smash 4 is not old. I wouldn't expect massive incremental change in this period of time, nor do I think it is needed. With that said, a port which ensures we don't lose any content with patches or updates to fix the content that doesn't work quite as well is a very appealing prospect - particularly having lost my main from Brawl.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I want to see Smash news, but I'm with Diddy Kong Diddy Kong on this subject.
Smash4 is a great game, but there are a lot of things I dislike (like the edge+absurd recoveries), rage effect, etc.
A new game would make me happier, even more if the new engine is more consistent.
I'm all in for cuts too, even knowing I'm the minority in this... Smash4 has a giant roster, and some underdeveloped characters.
If I could wait 2 years but get a NEW smash game, I'd chose this option without hesitation.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Sure, but at the same time Smash 4 is not old. I wouldn't expect massive incremental change in this period of time, nor do I think it is needed. With that said, a port which ensures we don't lose any content with patches or updates to fix the content that doesn't work quite as well is a very appealing prospect - particularly having lost my main from Brawl.
I'm not saying that a Smash 4 port wouldn't be sweet, I'm saying that being patient and not settling for the same game + extra crap could yield a much better game than what we already have. Plus, I already have Smash 4 on the Wii U, if I want to play it again, I'll plug my hdmi cable back into my Wii U.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I'm for a whole new ssb game as well. I want a better roster and better modes. Also take out the whole catching items thrown at you by opponents, that thing is annoying. And yeah, the edge recoveries are pretty annoying as well and I dislike how you have to be a certain distance now to knock off opponents with certain characters likr when you do Captain Falcon's or Ganondorf's Falcon/Warlock punch, you can't be too close to them or you'll miss. I would love other series like DK, Matroid, and Star Fox to get some more love as well as far as stage and character variety goes.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I think that we're in a point that if a new Smash game is announced we deserve both K.Rool and Dixie.
Dixie was planned to debut along Diddy in Brawl, but the idea was scrapped.
At Smash4 era, I was quite certain that AT LEAST one new Dk character would come, and even though Dixie is my favorite Nintendo character of all time, I started to think that K.Rool would be nicer to the game itself.

But Sakurai tread on the Dk Franchise.
One good stage for Wii U, and it's all. Not even a new Assist trophy was built. Mario received the return of Doc, Bowser Jr. AND Rosalina while Dixie trophy is in the session "Assist Animals and more"...so unfair.
-------------
I think that in a new Smash game we should receive both characters and Rambi/Ghost Grandma as a Assist trophy, but the chances are very slim. If the Smash for Switch be announced as a port with bonus content, I think they will not add anything Dk related.
I'd say that Splatoon, Arms, Ice Climbers and even Bomberman are bigger priorities. When I think about this I realize how much a new game would be better.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
we deserve
But Sakurai tread on the Dk Franchise.
This is dangerous thinking dude.

Nobody deserves anything.

We don't deserve characters. They don't deserve our money.

We can want stuff and make our wants known and we can buy or refuse to buy things we want or don't want, but we have little right to say we are owed something as simple as a character when it is never actually promised.

Moreover, Sakurai not adding a character isn't some terrible sleight or insult. It's just how things happen and while disappointment is fine, being insulted says more about you, than Sakurai and the game at large.

This isn't some shady business that pockets our money or a game not being at an acceptable level of quality, its just one or two characters not being picked for a crossover game that still included lots of new characters that are functional, fun and popular.

This is the same sort of entitlement thinking that gave K.Rool fans a bad rep during the DLC days and some people may be fine with that, I'm not. Because that's how we NEVER get included in Smash.

If we want our community to actually grow and be better, we need to nip that kind of stuff at the bud.

We can either jerk off to our narrative that we were somehow wronged, or we can actually build a community of people who love the character and makes others want to see what we're into.

What will it be folks?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
This is the same sort of entitlement thinking that gave K.Rool fans a bad rep during the DLC days and some people may be fine with that, I'm not. Because that's how we NEVER get included in Smash.

If we want our community to actually grow and be better, we need to nip that kind of stuff at the bud.

We can either jerk off to our narrative that we were somehow wronged, or we can actually build a community of people who love the character and makes others want to see what we're into.

What will it be folks?
I think we all know that there's literally only one answer, here. ;) (Less of the "our narrative", though - I'm pretty sure that that was only ever a minority view. I don't know abut anyone else, but I've certainly always been in the latter camp, myself, because the whole point of support-threads is to share what we like about a character.)

So, that being so, there was this neat Donkey Kong-related video posted by YouTuber ConnerTheWaffle a few days ago. It's about hacks and fan-games, and can be viewed here. (Workplace/viewing-in-public warning: The video contains a couple of brief instances of fairly minor swearing later on.)

I'm giving it a mention because its focus is mainly on SNES-derived stuff, and there are a number of Kremling appearances in the hacks and fan-games shown. It's also a fun and positive video, and what's not to like about that? ;)

Last edited:
i stopped getting notifications for some reason but im glad to finally catch up

i was playing smash 4 with my sister on te miiverse stage,i was king k.rool and she was dk and after the match it asked if i wanted to post a comment so i said what the heck and drew this

thats the first time i drew k.rool this year.....ive been slacking and focusing on other stuff....originally it was going to be little mac punching dk in the gut making his eyes pop out but i couldnt draw him so i did k.rool with a spiked cannonball instead

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Is everyone looking forward to the SNES Mini, tomorrow?

I'm very much looking forward to revisiting Donkey Kong Country, since the PAL release of the SNES Mini now uses the North American NTSC versions of the games concerned, since international display standards have changed since the old days.

This is significant because I grew up with the PAL versions of the DKC series, and back then, games were often made much tougher for the PAL markets*, sometimes to a ludicrous degree (meaning that you literally needed to be more skilled than players in other countries in order to beat these games). For the first Donkey Kong Country, in particular, they changed the momentum of the minecarts, which makes those stages trickier than they already are, because it's much tougher to make the jumps. K. Rool's behaviour during his boss-battle is also slightly different (he throws his crown immediately after the cannonballs fall). It will be very interesting to see how the game plays without these alterations!

*The Donkey Kong Country trilogy were far from the only games that did this. Another famous example is the original Crash Bandicoot trilogy, which were also made a lot more difficult for us guys over here. Meanwhile, over in Japan, the DKC games (and, indeed, the Crash games) were made easier, with more checkpoints and DK Barrels and some other alterations, such as removing certain enemies and obstacles, and allowing DK to kill Rockkrocs.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I also grew up with the PAL versions, and I feel cheated now, but in a good way. Won't be buying the SNES Mini, but am currently checking to download the original DKC games on my 3DS. And am honestly hyped for it! Haven't played the SNES games in a long time, only the GBA remakes (which are also great games mind you).

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I also grew up with the PAL versions, and I feel cheated now, but in a good way.
I only learned this stuff a couple of months ago, and found it kind of mindblowing. :laugh: I wonder how many other games in the DK series specifically were tweaked in this way? (Never mind outside of it...)

Won't be buying the SNES Mini, but am currently checking to download the original DKC games on my 3DS. And am honestly hyped for it!
Enjoy them! :grin: They're the North American NTSC versions, too, so you'll get to see the differences from the PAL versions there, as well.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
This thread doesn't seem to get much attention these days

But for those who still check up on it, check out this Mario Musical thing they did, which is amazing

If you look closely at the 0:31 mark, they are all dancing on KROOL Ave (the sign is briefly visible when Mario hits the ? block street sign thing). It's probably nothing but it's cool to see his name in there.

But for those who still check up on it, check out this Mario Musical thing they did, which is amazing

If you look closely at the 0:31 mark, they are all dancing on KROOL Ave (the sign is briefly visible when Mario hits the ? block street sign thing). It's probably nothing but it's cool to see his name in there.
yeah this place has slowed down since the hype died but im still glad we have our kutthroat regulars, hopefully people will come back when the next smash is announced.

super mario oddessy is the first mario game in a decade that im actually looking forward to the last one i enjoyed was super mario 3d world but even that game didnt feel quite like the old mario games that i liked....never got to play the galaxy games but i heard they are good.

all in all the new mario looks really good and i am hyped for it....cant afford it(still playing my wii u) but still looking forward to it :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Here I am, still trying to figure out if Donkey Kong is going to appear in some form in Mario Odyssey... I really hope to have this answered soon.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The Kutthroats are actually just playing 4-D chess and becoming part of the proverbial "silent majority" that very smart people say determines all of Smash's content.

See?! They're using K. Rool to advertise a mainline Mario game! Shoo-in!!!!

*ahem*

These are some really well-done retrospectives on the Retro Donkey Kong games that everyone should give a listen to/watch if they have an hour or so to kill.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

Honestly, this is awesome. This is the closest thing right now that we've seen of K. Rool actually being shown in a commercial for a new game. I mean, they could've used any other DK sign in New Donk City for that dance scene and yet they chose that one. I have high hopes for the franchise. Just need to hear from Retro Studios is all.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
K. Rool has just gotten a mention, of sorts, in a really odd place today.

The Kremling king's belly, legs, and cape appear as part of a video game character mash-up on the cover of the book version of the blog and web-comic, Video Game Cheats 'n' Beatums;

This was not somewhere that I expected to see K. Rool in any form, to be quite honest. :laugh:

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
As much as I doubt it, I do have to wonder if K. Rool or any other Donkey Kong character will appear in New Donk City in Mario Odyssey. If they do it could be the beginning of the end of the hiatus that most of Rare's DK characters seem to be in right now. K Rool street and Tiny Kong's pie shop give me the most hope.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
As much as I doubt it, I do have to wonder if K. Rool or any other Donkey Kong character will appear in New Donk City in Mario Odyssey. If they do it could be the beginning of the end of the hiatus that most of Rare's DK characters seem to be in right now. K Rool street and Tiny Kong's pie shop give me the most hope.
Wait, even Tiny Kong gets a mention? Anything for Lanky, Chunky, and Kiddy by any chance?

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
Wait, even Tiny Kong gets a mention? Anything for Lanky, Chunky, and Kiddy by any chance?
None that I have managed to spot in any trailers, mentions I've seen are Diddy, Dixie, Rambi, Expresso, K. Rool and Tiny but I would be shocked if they only included Tiny of the n64 kongs seeing how she seems to be the least popular of the three. Only time will tell on the 27th of October when the game releases.

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
I hadn't realized that the Kutthroats were back! I would be honored to join your ranks, if that's alright!
If you ask me, it is in the best interest for Kutthroats to make an explosive comeback. It may not seem like it, but right now is most likely the most important part of the next smash's development cycle as round about now I suspect that Smash 5 is either in the planning stages or very early development itself. This is the time that the entire roster (excluding clones) is decided. This is the only chance the community has of making an influence on Smash's future unless we want K Rool as DLC in the year 202X.
This in a sense, is our finest hour.

In a perfect world the poor person at Nintendo support has told the higher-ups that some bafoon keeps requesting that Lanky Kong becomes a playable joke character in smash in the same spirit as Wii Fit Trainer.
DK needs 4 reps anyway IMHO

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
If you ask me, it is in the best interest for Kutthroats to make an explosive comeback. It may not seem like it, but right now is most likely the most important part of the next smash's development cycle as round about now I suspect that Smash 5 is either in the planning stages or very early development itself. This is the time that the entire roster (excluding clones) is decided. This is the only chance the community has of making an influence on Smash's future unless we want K Rool as DLC in the year 202X.
This in a sense, is our finest hour.
If we're to go by Bandai-Namco's April 2014 job-listing for "Smash 6" (bearing in mind that Smash 3DS is officially "Smash 4", and Smash Wii U is "Smash 5"), then it's already been in development for three-and-a-half years.

This matches the three-or-so-years development times of Super Mario Odyssey and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, and outdoes Splatoon 2's by a year-and-a-half, as Splatoon 2 was made from the ground up in only two years. It also curiously lines up with claims made in the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumours.

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
If we're to go by Bandai-Namco's April 2014 job-listing for "Smash 6" (bearing in mind that Smash 3DS is officially "Smash 4", and Smash Wii U is "Smash 5"), then it's already been in development for three-and-a-half years.

This matches the three-or-so-years development times of Super Mario Odyssey and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, and outdoes Splatoon 2's by a year-and-a-half, as Splatoon 2 was made from the ground up in only two years. It also curiously lines up with claims made in the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumours.
Interesting. I just assumed that since modern smash games seem to come out every 6 or so years that the development would begin 2017 and release 2020. Unless it takes 6 years to make the game then this entry in the series is pretty gosh darn eager to get out the door.

Not to mention all of smash 4 & 5s dlc taking a year to produce itself.

Honestly can't say I can complain. Thank you for the info.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Honestly can't say I can complain. Thank you for the info.
Hey, no problem. :grin:

Obviously, things can change a lot during the course of a game's development, so we've got little idea of what's going on right now, but what I've personally taken from the information presented in the job-listing back then is that they were probably re-using the engine from the current titles, but building a new game with it. (Which would appear to make sense - Smash 3DS/Wii U's engine is designed for scalability between wildly differing architectures, and is probably ideal for a console that instead has to do that scaling on one machine, which the Switch is. Not only that, but it probably helps with bringing forward a roster that huge, too.)

It wouldn't entirely surprise me if we saw it pop up as a flagship title for the soon-to-be-paid online service, since, after 12 years of the service being free-of-charge, they're going to need a big game to push with it that you can only play online by using the new service. But that's just a guess.

Last edited:

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
It wouldn't entirely surprise me if we saw it pop up as a flagship title for the soon-to-be-paid online service, since, after 12 years of the service being free-of-charge, they're going to need a big game to push with it. But that's just a guess.
I was completely unaware that this was even a thing. I was mildly outraged until I saw that the price was significantly lower than expected. If K Rool or a certain elastic Kong is in smash 6 I'm definitely down for an early Smash 6.

If this really is true, is it reasonable to assume that we might get a reveal on June 12 at E3 2018 in 235 days time?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
If this really is true, is it reasonable to assume that we might get a reveal on June 12 at E3 2018 in 235 days time?
I wouldn't even like to try to guess. :laugh: I'm actually surprised that we haven't seen it already, but there's not a lot of point in trying to predict thoroughly unpredictable things.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Green shirt from the Yetee and Bellboy's art, a great combination.

And that DK statue at the Nintendo New York store is still there! I wonder if the big DK barrel is too. Great to see some DK love in that place!
It is, I was there with him when I went to see Grant and David as well.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Apparently First 4 Figures might be doing a figure for Donkey Kong, which would be the same size as their Bowser figure (which is 51cm / 20inches tall). Perhaps after that figure, maybe they'll do one for K.Rool, if the DK one is successful. Right now though, the DK figure is an idea/proposal.

your life will be complete after watching this

also there is a new donkey kong discord if anyone wants to join, i dont know if i can post links to it as it might be seen as advertising it or something so its stickied on the donkey kong subreddit if you want to join

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Just gonna leave this here:
Okay, all those moves fit K.Rool EXTREMELY well!! I am normally not a real fan of hax unless it's a straight character port with a good working model (I thought Hyrule Warriors Impa over Cloud looked beautiful for example) - but this is shaping up to be something amazing!

Elbow meteor F Air 4 Smash bruv!

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Today, I took a trip to New Donk City and visited K. Rool Avenue. I took a snapshot while I was there, and it only felt right to use the "SNES" filter;

Has anyone else been there? Does anyone else want to share pictures from their trip? ;)

Top Bottom