• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'll be honest if you want to appreciate his character to the fullest it's best to play DKC2 and DK64 by far his best when it comes to showing more personality from him. If anything DKC is probably his most bland characterization aside from his Kredits trick.
I will be getting there eventually, I will buy DKC2 and 3 on the Wii U VC while it's not on the Switch eShop. I will probably watch the final boss of DK64, since I did not really like the collectable gameplay design of DK64.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
One of the MAAAAANY things I love about the new DKCs and even Jungle Beat is that DK's got more than one enemy besides the Kremlings and it stays varied. IDK about you guys, but I get tired of having to beat down Bowser and Ganondorf in nearly every main Mario and Zelda. Yea K. Rool changes his appearance often to avoid that but it's always refreshing to take on completely new enemies, especially if we'll come back to K. Rool eventually. Fighting him after a good round of one off foes makes it more dramatic; it's fine having nods to him but we don't need wannabes either.
I get what you're saying but I also have to kinda disagree with this statement. I agree with your statement that fighting Bowser and Ganon over and over is tiring BUT it's different with the DK series. We went 11 years without a new DK game. Where as Mario and Zelda gets a new game every 1-2 years. So yeah of course we'd get sick of Bowser and Ganon (also Zelda changes up the villain more than we give the series credit for). King K. Rool was different he appeared as the main villain in 4 main games than was gone for years until he returned in King of Swing and Jungle Climber two spin-off games no one really cares about or remembers all that well. So having K.Rool and the Kremlings returning in Returns wouldn't have felt stale because like I said we hadn't had a main home console DK game in 11 years...

Kremlings/K.Rool really should've returned in Returns and THEN we should've gotten the snowmads in Tropical Freeze. I'm sorry I still hate the Tikis they are so bland and generic. Also you say "we don't need wannabes" and if we're being honest Lord Fredrik is really just Walrus K.Rool. From the mannerisms, personality, body build he's literally the same character. I love the Snowmads I wouldn't mind them showing up again whether in tandem with the Kremlings or hell even Mario spin-offs but come on when playing through Tropical Freeze I literally gave Fredrick the nickname of "King K.Nockoff"

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I get what you're saying but I also have to kinda disagree with this statement. I agree with your statement that fighting Bowser and Ganon over and over is tiring BUT it's different with the DK series. We went 11 years without a new DK game. Where as Mario and Zelda gets a new game every 1-2 years. So yeah of course we'd get sick of Bowser and Ganon (also Zelda changes up the villain more than we give the series credit for). King K. Rool was different he appeared as the main villain in 4 main games than was gone for years until he returned in King of Swing and Jungle Climber two spin-off games no one really cares about or remembers all that well. So having K.Rool and the Kremlings returning in Returns wouldn't have felt stale because like I said we hadn't had a main home console DK game in 11 years...

Kremlings/K.Rool really should've returned in Returns and THEN we should've gotten the snowmads in Tropical Freeze. I'm sorry I still hate the Tikis they are so bland and generic. Also you say "we don't need wannabes" and if we're being honest Lord Fredrik is really just Walrus K.Rool. From the mannerisms, personality, body build he's literally the same character. I love the Snowmads I wouldn't mind them showing up again whether in tandem with the Kremlings or hell even Mario spin-offs but come on when playing through Tropical Freeze I literally gave Fredrick the nickname of "King K.Nockoff"

Wait. Isn't K. Rool supposed to be the main villain of the DK franchise? Did Nintendo just forget he existed? How does that even happen?

StormC

Smash Hero
Wait. Isn't K. Rool supposed to be the main villain of the DK franchise? Did Nintendo just forget he existed? How does that even happen?
After the Rare buyout, it was pretty clear Nintendo didn't know what to do with the DK franchise and its characters. Paon and Namco developed some spinoffs and Nintendo EAD was put in charge of Jungle Beat. The game's director, Yoshiaki Koizumi had this to say:

Koizumi: All the characters outside of Donkey Kong and the banana are completely original. We don't really feel the past look of Donkey Kong was fresh enough for today. We really gave our new development team the chance to really create something unique and stylish.

When Retro Studios developed Donkey Kong Country Returns, producer Kensuke Tanabe gave this quote about King K. Rool:

Tanabe: This is something we actually talked about fairly early on with Miyamoto-san, and we, um, really were getting together and were like, what are we going to do about King K. Rool? Is he coming back? And we thought about it and said: Does he really need to? Why don't we just come up with something completely new, and uh, this time make sure there are no crocodiles in there.

After that, we can only speculate.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

This is a subject that we've discussed a lot on this and the old K. Rool board..

The best thing many can figure is Nintendo either didn't know how to approach the Kremlings being a Rare made thing OR they just didn't think they were that big a deal and they could sort of use other enemies and it would be the same... I just think that Nintendo didn't see the Kremlings as being that huge a deal. Then again it's not Nintendo who we should really look at.

Last time the Kremlings were used was in King of Swing, Jungle Climber, and Barrel Blast. All of those games were made by PAON in association with Nintendo, all of those games utilitiesed the full catalog of DK enemies from the old Rare games. Then when Retro got a hold of them they vanished. My guess is Retro didn't see the big deal about removing the Kremlings, probably because Nintendo gave them more freedom with the franchise then they had with Metroid. DK seems like a franchise that Nintendo allows experimentation with, look at how many different game styles exist within the IP since the end of the Rare era. Retro probably wanted to make DK their own and thus they ignored the Kremlings not realizing the impact they've had on the fan base over the years..

StormC

Smash Hero
That said, I'm having trouble finding a source for the Tanabe quote I just posted. I definitely remember it, but I can't find it on Google. Someone just shared it with me second hand earlier.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
That said, I'm having trouble finding a source for the Tanabe quote I just posted. I definitely remember it, but I can't find it on Google. Someone just shared it with me second hand earlier.
Don't worry I remember that quote from Metroid Prime: Federation Force producer Kensuke Tanabe himself. It was during an E3 interview in 2010 when a game journalist asked him about why no K.Rool and the look on his face while giving that condescending answer I will never forget I will search on youtube to see if that interview still exists somewhere.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Found it: It's at the 5:53 mark

Thanks! I added it the the original post.

I think with Tropical Freeze the tide has begun to shift with bringing back Rare's characters. Then obviously there's the costume.

But it's difficult to not feel like NOJ looks at the Rare characters in a less favorable light. If Diddy wasn't in Brawl, I'm not even sure he would be in Returns. That's a scary thought.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
That's the thing though... listen to that conversation between Tannabe and Miyamoto "does he really need too?" In regards to having K. Rool come back I really feel that Nintendo is/was very so so about the Kremlings. They didn't know how far reaching removing them could be to the fans

Maybe they do now, post ballot. I mean we have a K. Rool easter egg in New Donk City a major Mario title... clearly Nintendo isn't completely ignoring him now....

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
That's the thing though... listen to that conversation between Tannabe and Miyamoto "does he really need too?" In regards to having K. Rool come back I really feel that Nintendo is/was very so so about the Kremlings. They didn't know how far reaching removing them could be to the fans

Maybe they do now, post ballot. I mean we have a K. Rool easter egg in New Donk City a major Mario title... clearly Nintendo isn't completely ignoring him now....
Yeah, I don't think Miyamoto et. al hate the Kremlings or the Rare characters and want to scrub them from history or anything like that. They're just indifferent. Hate to say it, but even Sakurai and his team have paid more love to K. Rool and the Kremlings than anybody else at Nintendo in the last decade.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250

Also I like how they laugh "It's not a crocodile" like Kremlings/Crocodiles are terrible but flying pieces of wood and ESPECIALLY Tiki Tong was more original or something. Oooo flying hands and head boss NEVER seen that in a Nintendo game before....
My gripe hasn't been that they tried making new enemies, Nintendo has always been criticized for recycling too much of the same and it was a decent idea to change that up (Albeit to be honest the Kremlings and King K. Rool were some of the most diverse selection of enemies Nintendo had, constantly changing in a lot of their appearances), I just wish they wouldn't completely abandon them and especially King K. Rool,
I didn't mind their absence for Returns as it was the very start for the revival of the series, but time has passed and they still haven't even made a segment in a DKC game or just in their medias including the Kremlings or at least King K. Rool, let alone much to remind people of them outside of Smash. It's fairly unfortunate, I like their idea of staying fresh but King K. Rool is a beloved character who shouldn't be entirely left out in every shape or form for so long.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Variety is nice but it bothers me to outright neglect the main villain for so long. Ganondorf is my favorite Nintendo Big Bad (K. Rool being second) and the fact that he hasn't appeared in anything besides Hyrule Warriors within the last 12 years really annoys me. I'm not even going to get into that POS Calamity Ganon from BOTW.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Yeah, I don't think Miyamoto et. al hate the Kremlings or the Rare characters and want to scrub them from history or anything like that. They're just indifferent. Hate to say it, but even Sakurai and his team have paid more love to K. Rool and the Kremlings than anybody else at Nintendo in the last decade.
This is why I'm hoping that the ballot changed things... clearly the fans are talking and we keep bringing up the Kremlings. Funny thing is the Kremlings have been the subject of conversation since the first Returns game... if Nintendo can't see that they're a bigger deal than they thought then it's a lost cause.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I remember that quote! I've been trying to find the source for it for a long time now (thankfully it was posted above), but I did remember reading about it on GameTrailers (when that website was still a thing). I was so infuriated when I read about it though. I really wish Miyamoto had just let Retro bring back the Kremlings but allowed to them add their own flair to them. Like, they could have given K. Rool a Tiki look or something. It's such a shame because of that we haven't seen him comeback in recent years. Honestly, we're lucky to have even gotten a K. Rool reference in Odyssey, buts that's mostly because Miyamoto had almost nothing to do with the game.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I like to think the street signs in Odyssey were Koizumi's way of apologizing for how he treated the DKC characters.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's always bothers me whenever staff at Nintendo boast about being innovative and fresh or whatever, and it's either contradictory or impractical.

Like you're telling me you take great pride in being innovative, yet are also okay with pumping out three New Super Mario Bros. titles in a year and constantly pumping out mediocre Mario Party titles, while dumbing down the other spin-offs to cater to that New Super Mario Bros. aesthetic.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
The Nintendo were seeing as of late is a Nintendo that is more open to listening to fan feedback.. looking at the way things are going it seems like Nintendo is listening. Look at the new Kirby, they've added characer's from older games that fans have missed. Breath of the Wild and Odyssey both really played to nostalgia while being "fresh" new games. I'm feeling DK can and will get similar treatment. It looks more and more like Miyamoto is taking a back seat in a lot of the decision making. We could see K. Rool return real soon

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Problem with this is you gotta consider my entire post on the matter and not just the last paragraph. I'm not saying him being in Returns would make him stale, I'm saying that having K. Rool be the mastermind of Tiki Tong and Frederik would lessen their impact, as they're one-time villains anyway and each game is likely their one and only chance to shine before K. Rool comes back. How well do you think Zant was liked before he was revealed to be a pawn? The tikis and the snowmads would have their thunder stolen just like Zant and Ghirahim did if K. Rool's responsible for their villainy. They'd likely be KAOS 2.0 and 3.0. Having K. Rool be the driving force makes him stronger as a villain but lessens the variety of the series as a whole.

Kremlings/K.Rool really should've returned in Returns and THEN we should've gotten the snowmads in Tropical Freeze. I'm sorry I still hate the Tikis they are so bland and generic.
It's fine if you hate the Tribe. Most fans do; they're possessed wooden sculptures that have little going for them besides the musical instrument, "legit" motives and hypnosis angle, and are pretty whack overall. They also get hate for being the 1st to replace the Kremlings in a DKC game, so do me a favor and consider this: If the Kremlings were in DKCR but then swapped out for the Snowmads in TF, do you think the vikings would be as accepted as they are in this reality? Doubt it; they'd get the same venom that those weak sculptures got when they were revealed, but worse because they're debuting on a failing system (the Wii U) and adding onto that "Should've been Metroid" hatred that overshadowed the game.

Also you say "we don't need wannabes" and if we're being honest Lord Fredrik is really just Walrus K.Rool. From the mannerisms, personality, body build he's literally the same character. I love the Snowmads I wouldn't mind them showing up again whether in tandem with the Kremlings or hell even Mario spin-offs but come on when playing through Tropical Freeze I literally gave Fredrick the nickname of "King K.Nockoff"
I'm glad you picked up my wannabe line, because I was referring to Frederik when I said it. In fact, 4 years ago I left a comment on the old K. Rool thread and gave my take on him. Here's the quote if you don't wanna click the link:

I'm ambivalent about Fredrik. I feel that while his boss fight was fine and engaging, it just didn't fit him. I mean, in DKC1 K.Rool was practically all the DKC Kremlings combined: skin and jumping powers of Kritters, face of a Klaptrap, arms of a Krusha, gut of a Klump and speed of a RocKroc. He had powers that were shown already but taken to the extreme and he had some surprises of his own with his crown, cannonballs and Kredits. He did what the rest of the Kremlings could do, but BETTER.

With Fredrik being lord of the Snomads, in particular the head Walrus Viking, I expected him to be what they are, but better. How are the walruses we fight in game? They're big, slow, often well armored and well armed. They're tanks; you gotta strategize to get around them and/or land a hit. We never had to deal with any fast walruses or ones that leap into the air. The fight's good, intense and he does have a weapon that sets him apart, but he behaves less like an original character and more like a "What if DKC1 K.Rool got remixed as an ice Walrus" scenario. His horizontal ice dragons are fine, but his vertical ones, leaping and charging don't fit what we've come to expect from the Walrus enemies. They fit K.Rool.

I'd like to fight K.Rool in a new DKC, but I also love that DK has a variety of villains. Crocodiles, Demon Gorillas, Possessed Instruments, Viking animals--as long as they don't behave like previous enemies, even if it's fanservice, I have no complaints.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking a break from the arch-enemy in a series. DK was only playable in 3/5 Country games (and Diddy gets 4/5) but we still consider him the main character. K. Rool's the villain in 3/5 and we still consider him the main antagonist. If you look at the trend of Retro's Country games they've been slowly bringing back the fan-favorites. K. Rool, Funky and Dixie were absent in Returns but we got the 2 latter Kongs in Tropical Freeze. With the massive and consistent fan outcry for the Kroc, the Ballot and the references in Odyssey, it'd be a shock to not see K. Rool in the next big DK game. We don't have to let our fears of never seeing him again get the better of us and make us wish K. Rool was there all along behind the scenes. There's nothing wrong with taking a break from K. Rool, because as all this stuff is lining up for him, he's definitely coming back. So let's not lessen the other villains' to justify him.

Last edited:

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Also the fact that his Mii costume was based off his retro design by Rare. Golden belly, darker skin, bigger crown, etc

They could've easily went with his modern design but...they didn't. That's a good thing. A brand new model with no previous assets...

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Also the fact that his Mii costume was based off his retro design by Rare. Golden belly, darker skin, bigger crown, etc

They could've easily went with his modern design but...they didn't. That's a good thing. A brand new model with no previous assets...
It definitely has to due with the fact that Sakurai likes to stay close to a characters original design as possible. That is, in my opinion, a great thing. That way if K. Rool does get into Smash Bros than he'll be based off his original Rare design. Hopefully, they keep it that way if they bring him back in a new DKC game.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
His Mii costume always bothered me... not in a *I hate it* way... it bothered me in a *I wonder* sort of way. As I've said before there aren't many Mii costume's that use original assets, here's a list of Mii outfits that have no traceable assets within Smash or another Mii based game.

Heihachi* from Tekken

Akira from Virtua Fighter

Jacky from Virtua Fighter

Inkling's

King K. Rool

Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia

Hunters Mail from Monster Hunter

Rathalos Mail from Monster Hunter

Geno

Gil from Tower of Drauga

* Heihachi wears a Gi similar to Ryu and it's possible Ryu's assets could have been used in the making of the outfit.

Flying Man from Earthbound also has a Mii outfit and the only one we see is a sprite and not a 3D model HOWEVER they originally had Flying Man as a 3D rendered model but changed him to a sprite for performance reason's (3DS) so that mean's they still had the assets for him and could use them in making his Mii costume.

Notice most of that list is 3rd party with only 2 character's being 1st party made with no previous assets.. many of those 3rd parties could have had assets sent to the Smash team, Namco who was making the game whether they had assets or not wasn't going to miss out repping some of their other characters who were no doubt possible Namco reps for Smash aside from Pacman. SEGA has a few in there as well like the Virtua Fighter character's and then there's Capcom who had Monster Hunter thrown in to market Monster Hunter 4 which was coming to 3DS so clearly there's were for that purpose, though it's possible a Monster Hunter could have been discussed as a newcomer. After all, Capcom did get 2 character's in Smash 4 so I'm sure other characters were nagotiated.

Then we get to Geno, K. Rool, and Inkling's the only true Nintendo characters up there, their Mii costumes all new assets... for Inkling's and Geno it makes sense, Inkling's were brand new at the time and had 0 presence in Smash 4, Geno hasn't had an appearance since SMRPG and even then has never had a 3D model. Then we get to K. Rool who has a Trophy in Smash 4 and Brawl AND Namco made Super Mario Sluggers and had K. Rool, all of which use his PAON design which is his modern look. Why in the world did they make a new original Mii costume for him when they had perfectly good assets to use and call it a day. He got special treatment.

Either those assets came from somewhere, Retro making a new game, Smash 5 model in development, or Sakurai just really like's K. Rool more than we think..... very much like how the blue and orange Inkling's got their outfits and we're then revealed for Smash 5, I'm feeling something similar for K. Rool and Geno....

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I've actually had the same thing in mind. Part of me wants to believe that Sakurai noticed how high characters like K. Rool, Inklings and Geno were in the poll, so he wanted to save them for the next Smash Bros. It could be that he made a model based off K. Rool and used that asset only for a Mii costume. He could be saving his actual model for the new Smash. Now is that likely? Probably not, but I wouldn't say it's too far-fetched.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I posted this on the Dixie thread but it's kind of relevant to K. Rool, too. The design of the DKC characters is an open question.

A lot of attention has been given to what the Zelda character designs would look like ever since we saw BOTW Link, since the design changes are so drastic in between games. But this is kind of an open question for the DK series, as well, though to a lesser degree. The DKC characters have "Nintendo/Paon" designs as well as Rare era designs. What design do you guys think they would go for if Dixie is added?

After all, Dixie in Tropical Freeze, her most recent major appearance, is sporting her Nintendo look. She lacks kneepads, doesn't have her nails painted, her head is more "round" or squished, her beret seems smaller, her snout seems different, her fur is lighter.

Compare to Rare design.

I personally would want a composite design that leans toward the Rare design overall, keeps her face, beret, and kneepads from that model. But I would carry over the lighter fur, the lack of colored nails, and reduced eye make up.

If they go for the Nintendo model, it might actually look a bit odd since Smash seems to base DK and Diddy's designs on their old Rare look. If K. Rool is added, I also imagine he'd be sporting the Rare look, the look he is best remembered by and what the Mii costume is based on. So I kind of think we won't be seeing Dixie look like her Tropical Freeze incarnation. I think she is most likely to match the others. Maybe I'm wrong.

What do you guys think?
I think we will get Rare inspired looks for all of them.

Troykv

Smash Master
I posted this on the Dixie thread but it's kind of relevant to K. Rool, too. The design of the DKC characters is an open question.

I think we will get Rare inspired looks for all of them.
I think their overall design will be Rare inspired, but the "style" will be more "Nintendo".

D

Deleted member

Our hope for King K. Roll continues the king of Kremlings will have his day no doubt.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I finished DKC for the first time ever. I really enjoyed the game design in each level the most, I could spot good build-up in difficulty in every level. The minecart parts in particular made me sweat hard every time and were the best levels. I do not have much complaints about the game. Although, it was kinda annoying to not see a level wide-screen like in DKCR. Playing the original game in a tight screen was something I had to adjust to, but got used to over time.

I look forward to purchasing DKC2 real soon. Now that I am adjusted to the original DKC gameplay, I really look forward to seeing what great game design will come from DKC2. I am looking forward to Dixie/K. Rool's characterization in this game the most. Right now, I want to get to the Stickerbrush Symphony level as soon as possible. I have listened to the Brawl rendition of the track so many times and heard the level was super challenging. It sounds like a dream come true.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Here, have a thinkpiece. I would recommend against reading it in one sitting. The numerous spots where you'll stop and go "Well, actually. . ." regarding my analyses double as spots to step away and grab some food and/or sleep.

Everyone differs in their enjoyment of Smash as a series and why they personally spend time posting on internet forums like Smashboards. Goes without saying, right? Well, I'm here to make the case that Smash 4 brought fanbase members to a crossroads in their enjoyment of some game elements, based partly on factors inevitable 15 years into a series and also on consciously changing attitudes. This post is not meant to argue that one way of enjoying the series is better than any other, but rather to explore how the fanbase got to where it is today and how it could proceed, with implications for K. Rool and the Kutthroats.

In the wake of Melee, Smash had the allure of being not just a newly-popular series but one with a vast amount of untapped potential. Going into Brawl, there were scores and scores of big-time Nintendo characters and content to include from games recent and old, from veteran and new series, and on a more-modern console that was doing gangbusters at the time.

With that surplus of options in front of them, people really started having fun making support groups to post why their preferred character ought to become playable and advocating for their inclusion (more on the efficiency of that later). Users not only rallied behind people like Diddy and Dedede and shared how they might play, based on their history of appearances, but also built grassroots support for more obscure options like Geno. Later on, once the demos started hitting stores, people also spent time analyzing gameplay footage to see how the mechanics compared to Melee. Fun fact: People saw tripping and had no idea what the hell was going on, to the point of deeming it "ink-dropping" as an advanced technique.

You might be asking yourself how any of this differs from Smash 4's speculation scene; there are several answers. Compared to Smash 4 and onward, there were only two Smash games to give precedent for roster picks. The sky was the limit in terms of who you could suggest while being taken seriously, without much talk of who was likely based on patterns. There were also so many big-name characters left that vocal character support was the norm among fans. Everyone had at least a few characters they were particularly passionate about seeing playable, and many got their wishes. Brawl's roster did end up getting flack, but from my experience, that was less due to the characters chosen and more because fans' expectations had gotten so high, they were expecting a roster count in the high 40s or low 50s (the unlockables being largely veterans threw people for a loop).

So, to touch back on the "enjoyment" angle, Melee left most fans satisfied with gameplay — it is full-on revisionist history to say people thought Melee was "too hard" before Sakurai made that claim — but wanting in terms of characters and content. Going into Smash 4, on the other hand, people were relatively happy with the latter and openly critical of the former. Tripping was essentially, and deservedly, considered a meme in terms of a terrible choice, and people had no shortage of character-specific gameplay complaints to offer. "Who on earth balanced Meta Knight that way?" "Why does Dedede invalidate multiple characters with chaingrabs?" "Why do Snake's hitboxes stretch out -that- far?" And so on. On the whole, character support had taken a backseat to mechanical balance fixes (a not-insignificant number of people professed Brawl would have been their personal "perfect Smash" if not for the gameplay).

That's not to say the focus on characters evaporated — there were still a handful of characters people supported in a way reminiscent of that Brawl era — but changes were starting to creep in. The existing characters already satisfied a good chunk of fans to the point where fewer were invested in newcomers, fewer of which were widely agreed-upon. Instead, the people who stuck around on forums, and the new posters who read the terrain, had fun debating who was and was not likely. By far the biggest emerging area people would look to in these debates was upcoming releases. The focuses on likelihood and releases weren't altogether new phenomenons, but it quickly reached a point where most people's perception of a character's likelihood linked directly to how promotional of a new game they could be. Not coincidentally, the scene had reached a state where not many were bothering to build up support for Geno-esque characters anymore. Why bother? They're irrelevant! Can't promote a thing! Not going to happen!

Concurrently, people's perception of uniqueness changed from pre-Brawl to pre-Smash 4. In the aftermath of Melee, proving a character's uniqueness more or less meant demonstrating that that character couldn't or wouldn't be a clone. As Smash 4 and its newcomer reveals got underway, however, "unique" came to mean that a character would bring their own gimmick, mechanic or prop (my observation: people who tout uniqueness but struggle with moveset-making promote candidates by saying "He/she/it would hit you with <insert prop name here>"). In that way, uniqueness started becoming a cudgel people would use against characters they felt didn't measure up (inter-franchise character wars contributed). An increasing number of people also would start proclaiming that "they didn't care" what characters were added so long as they were "fun to play," a metric often mentioned in the same breath as uniqueness.

In the end, Smash 4 and its DLC were released with all but a single-digit number of big-name requests, gameplay that was almost universally considered an improvement from Brawl, and a large amount of miscellaneous content across two systems. In other words, the series reached a point where a majority of online fans no longer desired different characters or gameplay than what they'd ultimately received. Sure, already-satisfied people had and still have their personal wishlists, but on a broad scale there's not much investment in new content added so long as it's "fun/unique." Users along these lines often debate likelihood/new games to a fault and then get blown away by newcomers who fall outside those criteria, who in turn make the users even more satisfied. In my observation there's a lot of overlap between these users and the ones who will very quickly become unhappy upon mention of the mere prospect of character cuts. ("How dare you! Someone out there enjoys those characters!")

Where does the crossroads come into play? Well, as more and more people become satisfied with Smash as-is, it becomes easier and easier to look upon anyone carrying on that Brawl era of concerted support group advocacy as alien. I think there's a misunderstanding in place that anyone who vocally supports anything new or different in Smash necessarily is criticizing what is there. That's not always the case (though criticism isn't inherently a bad thing either), it just can come off as such when the lion's share of those posters' comments are about what -isn't- in the game that they want included, versus what -is- in the game that they like already. It is worth noting that, as Smash becomes more of a behemoth, for worse and better, these sorts of advocates have more of an incentive to pipe up; if they get their way, it's on a larger scale, with a greater payoff for characters and series in particular.

But with propositions for change becoming rarer and rarer, it becomes easier for the majority to dismiss loud requests for K. Rool or Ridley as ravings from unappreciative lunatics, or shoot down anyone calling for gameplay closer to Melee's as part of a "vocal minority" stuck in 2001. That, of course, can turn people in that minority defensive, demeaning those who don't share their desires as "sheep" or "apologists." The majority responds by smearing whole fanbases as "toxic," hoping <insert request here> doesn't happen "so their fans will explode," or policing "hype" for indicators of "salt." On and on the vicious cycle goes, and completely needlessly. The two groups are perfectly capable of enjoying the game and lead-up in their own styles, even though their approaches to the game don't align as they once appeared to.

I should probably mention here that after Smash 4, people should reframe how they think about the internet posts they make advocating for a character or change in Smash. It's been known since 2008 that Nintendo people like Nate Bihldorff lurk Smash sites, and it's a safe assumption that some requests get back to the developers once they become repeated a certain amount — anything from the huge push to remove tripping to more recent minor things like Sakurai being aware of the perception he favors his own Kirby games and Fire Emblem. But given the confirmation post-Smash 4 that the series' design documents are finalized years before the titles are announced, online Smash requests really only matters in terms of influencing the -next- game, maybe DLC or a ballot nowadays in lucky cases. Given the paucity of Wii U era content, there's a chance Smash Switch will break that trend, but that's something we'll only know for sure once the post-game interviews come out.

To wrap this massive wall-of-text up, I think it would be an interesting fanbase experiment to bring onboard a new Smash director who announces he's pulling a Thanos and wiping out half the roster, without naming which characters are getting cut. Would that knowledge cause the fanbase to revert back to its Brawl iteration and start focusing again on the characters and the nuances of their movesets in "the greatest character game in the world?" How would the pressure of a telegraphed smaller roster affect how newcomers are assessed? To what degree would fans apply the patterns or knowledge they've developed (or think they've developed) this far into Smash's lifespan if the series were, for all intents and purposes, getting rebooted?

For me personally, though I have no interest in speculation outside of K. Rool and Ridley-specific stuff, those would all be questions I'd enjoy seeing answered somewhere down the road.

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman

Also I like how they laugh "It's not a crocodile" like Kremlings/Crocodiles are terrible but flying pieces of wood and ESPECIALLY Tiki Tong was more original or something. Oooo flying hands and head boss NEVER seen that in a Nintendo game before....
This pretty much sums up the video along with the last few years of DKC without K. Rool and the Kremlings.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
From what little I know of the situation, the whole situation surrounding the Donkey Kong series after Rare was purchased by Microsoft was a lot of 'well now what?' The situation from what I recall that Nintendo and Rare's relations had already been going poorly even before the buyout happened. As such I would not be surprised if there was a little bit of rough edges surrounding the whole thing with those that have influence at Nintendo.

Nintendo frankly didn't know what the hell to do with the franchise as a whole. So it became a series they kind of threw in all directions to find something that would click with audiences mostly leading to a lot of gimmicky games with not a lot of focus put into it. So when they rebooted Donkey Kong Country they thought they needed to throw the baby out with the bath water and basically changed the series premise entirely.

The reason why K Rool has continued to stick in people's mind is... let's be frank, both villain factions from the last two games were basically one off villains we will likely never see again with about half the personality and menace that K Rool and the Kremlings provided for the games they were featured in. Rare did a good job in their original Donkey Kong games of developing a look and feel of their enemies in each of the Donkey Kong games they worked on. Though I think Retro made good games in most aspects. The villains just seem to be lacking something.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
In the end, Smash 4 and its DLC were released with all but a single-digit number of big-name requests, gameplay that was almost universally considered an improvement from Brawl, and a large amount of miscellaneous content across two systems. In other words, the series reached a point where a majority of online fans no longer desired different characters or gameplay than what they'd ultimately received. Sure, already-satisfied people had and still have their personal wishlists, but on a broad scale there's not much investment in new content added so long as it's "fun/unique." Users along these lines often debate likelihood/new games to a fault and then get blown away by newcomers who fall outside those criteria, who in turn make the users even more satisfied. In my observation there's a lot of overlap between these users and the ones who will very quickly become unhappy upon mention of the mere prospect of character cuts. ("How dare you! Someone out there enjoys those characters!")
I know it's pretty off-topic, but I wonder how badly people will react when cuts ends up being confirmed for this game? I mean, there is a lot more people who are really optimistic about a no-cut scenario now than pre-Smash 4. The problem being is that there is no indication characters would just be simply ported (and based off Breath of the Wild Link, updated models are confirmed, which means reworked animations and thus significant time and effort spend). Sakurai himself stated that each character added isn't just an addition, but a multiplication and Smash is at this point with 58 characters. as I personally speculate we'll get at least 12 newcomers, I can't see less cuts than what Brawl and Smash 4 had.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
BKupa666 BKupa666 That is one of the most insightful posts I have read in Smashboards in my entire life, after reading the post twice. I was not there when Brawl speculation was alive and kicking, but your research on the fan reception transition from Brawl to Smash 4 was absolutely helpful.

Now I have gained a better understanding of the prior Smash community.

It also has me thinking about how much promotion will play for Smash Switch's newcomer selection in the future.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It’s a shame about Ridley support. K. Rool’s has only grown while the Ridley bubble has burst.

They’re my two most wanted, but I’m a much bigger fan of K. Rool and his franchise.

D

Deleted member

It’s a shame about Ridley support. K. Rool’s has only grown while the Ridley bubble has burst.
That's expected to happen when Sakurai goes out of his way to state that he basically doesn't want Ridley in Smash (or at the very least doesn't see him as playable).

Makes me worried that if K.Rool does not make it in this game and then we ever get an "explanation" as to why K.Rool missed a chance in Smash Swich, we will see ourselves in a similar situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom