• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just played the worst Zelda player...anyone else play players like this?

I_am_MSB

Smash Rookie
Okay, so I was just playing FG and I ended up in a match with a guy that was just terrible. He played Zelda, and I swear to you, his entire move set was made of Phantom, Din's Fire, and Zelda's reflect move. It was just awful to play against, especially since I main Mega Man. Couldn't use projectiles; they'd be reflected back to me. Couldn't get in close; that stupid reflect move has hit boxes there too. He would rack up damage on my by continually spamming Din's Fire and Darknut, attempting to gimp me offstage with DF every time I got knocked off the stage.

I ended up winning by staying alive on my last stock at 150%+ by dodging and carefully reading the dude's reflect moves and then use a dash attack or a metal blade. Then whenever I could, I'd grab him and back throw. It was basically a cycle of get hit, dodge, read, attack, dodge, read, back throw. Time soon ran out and it went to sudden death, which I one in about 5 seconds with a single back throw.

It annoyed the crap out of me, though. So, anyone else have problems with players like this?

End result: :4megaman:>:4zelda:

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Nayru's has endlag. Lots of it.
E.g. enough to run in and Usmash her.

also, sudden death, not exactly an adequate measure of skill.

Last edited:

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
Have you tried shielding and punishing the endlag?

Din's and phantom are some of the worst moves in the game.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
Sounds like the Zelda player was good and knew how to deal with a character who's main focus is spamming projectiles. Maybe focus on leaf blades, shielding, and grabbing, then following up with forward or back air. Your down tilt is also good for getting in on her Naryu's lag time afterwards, especially if she's being spammy and it's easy to read. Try to find new ways to play against different characters--People get just as annoyed by a spammy Megaman, Link, or Duck Hunt as you do when your projectiles get reflected and you run out of ideas for 5 minutes, only to win in Sudden Death by chance.

Edit: Small grammar errors.

Last edited:

I_am_MSB

Smash Rookie
Nayru's has endlag. Lots of it.
E.g. enough to run in and Usmash her.

also, sudden death, not exactly an adequate measure of skill.
I'm not saying it is, I just told the story. I don't know who would've won had it not gone to sudden death, because we were both pretty beat up when time ran out.

Sounds like the Zelda player was good and knew how to deal with a character who's main focus is spamming projectiles. Maybe focus on leaf blades, shielding, and grabbing, then following up with forward or back air. Your down tilt is also good for getting in on her Naryu's lag time afterwards, especially if she's being spammy and it's easy to read. Try to find new ways to play against different characters--People get just as annoyed by a spammy Megaman, Link, or Duck Hunt as you do when your projectiles get reflected and you run out of ideas for 5 minutes, only to win in Sudden Death by chance.

Edit: Small grammar errors.
Thanks for the tip!

As it turned out, I played against another Zelda and this really helped.

Last edited by a moderator:

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
Sounds like something I would do. But instead of Phantom & Din's, I use Jab & FW. And I'm purposely trying to be a ****

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Been seeing these types of players a lot more.
When you're playing as someone with poor approach options it's an absolute nightmare.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Literally fought a Zelda like this earlier.

Just ran away and spammed specials and down smash.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I have seen a few of those back then and I've never lost to any of them except for the pretty decent ones with the same skill level as I am. Needless to say, as a Zelda user myself, I don't use that same strategy as the one you encountered unless I'm fighting a spammer.

To beat a spammer, you gotta be a spammer. That's the lesson here.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
I have seen a few of those back then and I've never lost to any of them except for the pretty decent ones with the same skill level as I am. Needless to say, as a Zelda user myself, I don't use that same strategy as the one you encountered unless I'm fighting a spammer.

To beat a spammer, you gotta be a spammer. That's the lesson here.
Uh..No...? To beat a spammer, you gotta read and counter. Spamming against a spammer just elongates the game and doesn't mean you counter them.

RaijinWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
FierceBlaze
3DS FC
5129-1192-2635
Faced a Zelda not too long ago. Spammed side-b, down-b and up-b, oh and not to forget the rolling spam. Good thing I'm a spot dodger because the player realised I spot dodged literally every side-b and sometimes ran through to get some strings going. Best way to deal with side-b spamming Zelda is to spot dodge like a boss, then when they proceed to spam it, just dash in past the fuse and rack up some damage.

Top Bottom