• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just picking up Sheik, looking for advice!

(skip these two paragraphs if you don't want to hear backstory and just want to see what I'm asking for)

I've been a Roy main for years, and my attempts at a secondary always flop hard; I put some time into whichever character and they flop, and then my Roy ends up better with his worst matchups than my secondary with them in both bracket and friendlies. I would base a secondary ONLY on a character absolutely optimal for certain MU's (stage, player, or character-wise) rather than one who fits me well. This has been going on for quite a while, as I've always been firm in the belief that Roy only works if he has a strong secondary to back him up. This was proven by Neo using Sheik and Marth when absolutely necessary, but primarily going Roy and winning lots of $$$ in 2005 and 2006, with 3rd at MLG. Dual-maining seems to be the future of Melee, and I have faith in Sheik to fill the role.

Sheik has always naturally fit me, and using her in friendlies and doubles recently has led to great success. She covers Roy's worst MU's decently well, even if she's not the #1 absolute pick for that she's still beastly at serving the secondary role for Roy, so I've decided to put a whole month into nothing but practicing her, studying, and watching videos while putting my Roy on the backburner. I'm at a point where I'm doing nothing but testing theories, trying out a lot of potentially unused or underrated stuff, and just practicing movement options I can practice with Sheik that carry to Roy 9 out of 10 times anyways, so it's nice to finally have a large pool of resources to look into again and learn a lot more about Melee that I can't simply find on my own. I'm confident that my Sheik can't flop at this point, especially with a whole month of time set aside for her. Roy's fthrow and dthrow techchasing plus punish game on a lot of characters carries really well to Sheik, as do most fundamentals and movement options. My Roy has been shaky and inconsistent on things that can work really well recently, things that would have taken me much farther in bracket and scored wins off really solid players were things that I didn't execute fully due to my flaws, which I intend to work on. There were two PR players that I took to last game last stock with Roy, but shaky performance at several points in each match held me back and knocked me into loser's and then out. I dropped potential monster tech chases and made bad decisions in neutral, where Roy could have beaten them. I seem less shaky with Sheik, so I intend to primarily use her until my Roy goes up a few levels from both of their experiences, then I'll use both a lot in bracket.

What I'm wondering is:
  • What is at least some of Sheik's best option coverage? How do I optimize it?
  • What are the best Sheik videos and sets to watch to learn Sheik and Melee as a whole the most?
  • What are Sheik's best ledge options for getting back on stage? I can Shino Stall well and aim to master it, but there's much more to the ledge beyond that and I need to know what to do in each situation and how to get on-stage safely once the ledge is mine. All there is to stalling the ledge is mental warfare, making the timer work for me, taking advantage of impatient opponents, and waiting for someone to slip up to take an easy option to get on stage safely. I know it won't always work and there's the risk of SD'ing, so I'd like to know as much about the ledge as possible.
  • Do certain recoveries require weird or special ways to beat them with Sheik?
  • Applications for Shield Dropping? It's something I have about ~70% consistency on, I aim to boost that to at least 95% over the next month if I can come up with ways to take advantage of it.
  • Most staple Sheik moves and strategies?
  • How many known Sheik kill setups and true combos can I utilize?
  • Are there reliable ways to true combo into usmash or tipper usmash?
  • Which moves have the most hitstun to lead into other stuff?
  • When is it best to use needles? When exactly can I needle camp safely?
  • Nair vs. Fair?
  • Can dair set up anything neat?
  • Exactly how much mileage can dthrow get on characters it can't chaingrab or tech chase?
Matchups:
  • Best to worst stages versus floaties? Why does Puff beat Sheik?
  • Best to worst stages versus spacies? Why does Fox beat Sheik?
  • Best to worst stages versus Marth? Outside of dthrow, why does Sheik beat Marth and what beats Marth most from Sheik?
  • Best to worst stages versus Falcon?
  • What should I look for in stage choice for a ditto?
  • Does anyone even know the IC's matchup for Sheik? What stage(s) work? Why are they considered to beat Sheik?
  • Any possible mid/low tier threats to look out for as Sheik? Any specific stages for any specific mid or low tiers?
  • Is there a chart of all of Sheik's possible chaingrabs and/or tech chases?
  • Best to worst stage in general for Sheik?
Of course I don't expect all of these to be answered, info on just some is still extremely valuable.

Last edited:

NTHPlayr

Smash Cadet
NNID
NTH112
Check out the guide made by OkayP. It covers lots of questions you had. Shout outs to him.:sheikmelee:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Check out the guide made by OkayP. It covers lots of questions you had. Shout outs to him.:sheikmelee:
Where is this guide? I would like to read it. Link?

EDIT : Found it. Dissapointed... it's not even a complete or finished guide. Just kind of an overview of why shiek is good.

I found this though : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mlNwPWxO2y8u_w1t_jf_FzMx6OC8BJyFZ2fW-rOj9zk/mobilebasic

Very awesome, so much info in the document regarding shiek, and lots of matchup specific stuff. Read it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom