• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just like I said: Meta Knight is a Kirby Clone

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Meta Knight details. (I pretty much went all Meta Knight)

As Gimpy stated, Meta Knight seems to be noob friendly. This is because he has attacks that come out very quickly, multi-hit, and has amazing recovery. But he does have "glaringly obvious" drawbacks (Gimpy, please edit that out of your post).

The main one is that he has Kirby's KOing power, as in none. When you smash someone, they will not die until 150% or more... and that's with his most powerful smash (probably F-smash). His U-smash is a very quick, triple hit which - while being great for building damage - is easily DI'd out of so the third and strongest hit won't land (and the third hit really doesn't KO anyway). The D-smash seems weakest of the three, which is really saying something.

Also, he has some really good moves, but some really poor moves (from what I know of them anyway). His Down+B is a short, laggy teleport... but it does look cool at least. His Up-B is amazing for recovery, especially because you can jump/glide after using it, but as an attack it's hard to hit with and doesn't do much damage at all. His Neutral+B is a tornado that doesn't seem to do much at all, though people were trying to convince me that it was broken for some reason. The "Triple Dash" (Side+B) was easily his best special attack, just because it comes out fairly quickly and can do so many hits that it usually does 20% - 40% damage (usually 30% when I used it).

Meta's throws are exactly like Kirby's, but they have different knockback and stuff due to the "floatiness" of this game. Up-Throw is like Kirby's Ninja Throw, but I found it really easy to combo out of (compared to Melee Kirby of course). The D-throw is like Kirby's Victory Dance, but they land a little bit different which probably doesn't matter for those of you that don't play Kirby. F-throw and B-throw don't Kirbycide, he just tosses them back or forward, I guess like Jiggly.

His taunts are awesome... except Side-Taunt, where he just holds out his sword. Up-Taunt: he disappears into his cape and reappears quickly. Down-Taunt he spreads his wings really wide, then closes and opens them again (this last open-close makes the taunt feel a little laggy).

His tilts are awesome, the side-tilt can combo into three hits, his d-tilt is like Kirby's but with more knockback (so in otherwords, like Marth's), and his U-tilt is rather narrow but is still a viable launcher (stabs up with his sword).

His aerials are like Kirby's, but using his sword instead of feet. For instance, instead of Kirby's triple kick F-air, he does a triple sword swipe. His neutral-air is like Kirby's Twinkle Star, but far less cute and easily more priority. Up-air is a quick swipe up, like Kirby's Up-air kick, but much weaker, vertical knockback, and more frames of hitboxes (Kirby's only lasts 3 frames, bleh). His back air seems to be worse than Kirby's, but I'll test it out more... Meta seemed to be more of a forward-facing character. His d-air is nothing like Kirby's however, it's a quick swipe down and it does indeed spike (probably meteor cancelable), but it felt very weak and definately doesn't have Kirby's multiple hit advantage.

His jab is just like Kirby's Vulcan Jab (the best multi-jab in the game IMO), but it feels like an automatic multi-hit. His dash attack is just a dashing kick, but it's a launcher so you can combo out of it.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
wave dashing, dash dance lcancel, tell me are they?

its sad to say that metas a kirby clone. i dont like that. did you get vids too? that description sounds more like kirby a marth hooked up and made sweet love and had a kid.

o and tell about his dair lag.

pretty please?

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
It is good. If there is already a noob friendly character, it leaves more chance for Kirby to be in Ultimate Tier. ;)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Why is it sad Meta's a Kirby clone? He looks like a Kirby with bat wings for goodness sakes. He's waaaay better, that's for sure. I'm highly expecting Kirby to get upgrades in revelation to this.

I have some vids that should be up soon, but there were Ninten-cops making sure no one recorded so it was by risk of life to get those. ;)

Meta's aerial lag doesn't seem very bad. L-canceling appears to be out though, so keep that in mind. No Melee style wavedashing from what we've seen... if any at all.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
there is still air dodging right? if so can you angle it?

i was just hoping that meta would an individual non-clone character.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
You can't like move your air-dodge, from what I've heard.
...Being on the other side of the country during E4A sucks, but Kirby along with Lucas and Pokemon Trainer wasn't playable or something like that, like Snake.
I have yet to hear about Kirby's un-nerf status.

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I agree it was clear Meta Knight was going to be a Kirby clone. I thought so just from the creator's penchant for clones in the past.

So t!MmY, from what you experienced, was Meta-Knight's Uair good for juggling?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yes, I heard people behind me saying "Meta Knight is a juggler!" but that might be because I'm too good and my opponents didn't DI well enough. ;)

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
You cant wavedash cus you cant angle your airdodge, you just keep going whichever direction you would have been going.

Also, t!mmy you forgot to mention(or maybe just didn't know) but you can use meta Knights downb like mewtwos upb(its a teleport move) except you can jump after doing it and then do it again. combine this with 5 jumps and glide/up b and you can stall for like 45 seconds at a time. Also, im totally calling the rights to discovering that.

Edit: You also forgot to mention that MK's Dtilt actually causes him to move FORWARD while he uses it. It makes it a bit more spamable

PrinceOfDalaam

Smash Apprentice
yeah i had a feeling MK was gonna be just like kirby

well, except for the deadly sword and sexy cape :p

Offtopic: Kirby's new airal hammer looks sweet. and his new breakdance move is pretty awsumz

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Chris, you actually timed how long you can stall with Meta Knights Down+B? Just asking because it would be good to know if 45 seconds is about the max, and if not, what was the longest you stalled. I never used Dimensional Cape to stall, I was too busy hitting my opponent. ;)

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I didnt actually time it, It was just about the average I was able to stall for. I was actually able to stall for a whole minute in one match, but that was because i started gliding after my last jump. The problem was that i couldnt tell how i was moving while i was gliding, I could have been doing all the most necessary movements to stall more, or I could have been doing it completely wrong. And I wasnt stalling because i couldnt hit my opponent, i was stalling because 45 seconds Isnt enough to get time to get a second kill with Meta Knight XD

san-romanov

Smash Cadet
OMG timmy you were awesome¡¡¡ seriously I just saw your videos. Why did you lose against a pikachu? jeje It seemed you were going to win.

By the way, what does tommy think about pika?

Oh one more thing, I've already seen the SE's videos, which contains Kirby's actual gameplay. Apparently its moves look so much improved.

Waht do u think?

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
If you press jump and hold down, can you "float-cancel" with his glide? I couldn't tell if that's what I was seeing or not. And if so, can you attack out of it or do you free fall?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I didn't "float-cancel" his Glides. It took a while to start it up and there was lag upon landing. And if you attack out of a Glide, it cancels the Glide and you don't go into "free fall" (FallSpecial) so you're free to do something else in the air, which makes his recovery uber-good.

XmeX565

Smash Cadet
yea i think that he is really cool. he porbably will be just like kirby....but will still rock

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
He's not. Meta Knight is a Kirby clone. You got it a bit reversed.

geemann2236

Smash Journeyman
I played MK at the E-For-All, only two of his moves are Kirby cloneish, his Fair and his Nair. Otherwise, he's a character all to his own. And he owns, lol. Heis faster than Kirby, hits harder, combos better, and is total ownage. He only has a problem with killing at high damage. He has a ridiculous recovery though, lol, which basically makes up for all his problems. He is beast mode man!!!

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
ok now.. I'd have a little question.. how many times do we have to hear about the problem of KOing enemies? I mean look at sheik, her trophy claims the same thing, yet she is tremendously broken because she finds her own way of KOing opponents even at low %. Is it gonna be different this time or are we supposed to expect another god of edgeguards, expecially considering Meta's high priority, multi jumping skills, good aerial game and overall high speed-agility?

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
Y'all should probably join us in discussing this over on the Meta Knight forum on the Brawl Character Discussion page. But as to your question, if Meta has a move like Sheik's Fair, I bet Gimpy or T!mmy would have found it. I'm intrigued by the UpB as a KO move though. And there's always the possibility of sweetspotting certain moves. Let's be optimistic.

I played MK at the E-For-All, only two of his moves are Kirby cloneish, his Fair and his Nair. Otherwise, he's a character all to his own. And he owns, lol. Heis faster than Kirby, hits harder, combos better, and is total ownage. He only has a problem with killing at high damage. He has a ridiculous recovery though, lol, which basically makes up for all his problems. He is beast mode man!!!
*Cough*

Up Throw = Kirby

Down Throw = Kirby

Back Throw = Kirby

^_^

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Meta Knight's "clone" moves:
N-air
F-air
D-tilt
U-tilt
Jab
D-throw
U-throw
Up Special

And this doesn't include "near" clones like U-air (vertical knockback instead of horizontal), F-throw (similar effect but no Kirbycide), B-throw (similar effect, but no Kirbycide), and Dash Attack (kick instead of fireball).

But, attacks aside, he moved like Kirby. Not very fast on the ground, slow in the air, multiple mid-air jumps. One thing that felt awkward for me was how large he was in comparison to Kirby. His crouch is definitely not like Kirby's.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yeah, but it will probably be even more like Kirby's Dash Attack in Brawl ... damage/knockback-wise. The animation certainly looks different.

Top Bottom